A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 19th August 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Hi Mark

I can find the location for you a bit later, just need to finish some office work and will pop in to the house and find it for you.

Bugger to code, WTF, are they FIAT dealers or Audi??
This makes me think that not only there was nothing wrong with your EPB or module before you dropped the car off, but for sure they f***ed it up, possibly the module as well thats why they had to replace one. Mother*****rs

Your best call was to ask for the old one, then swap it back over and scan it and see if it is really dead. It might be just a very bad luck, but honestly I don't think so.
Even if you call them to see if they still got it I'm sure they will tell you that it's in the bin already or any other b***x

Have they at least sorted the pad thickness error??
If not it still can be done as long you can measure accurately the current thickness.

As mentioned in my Private Message (right top corner, click Private Messages) your the best possible investment is VCDS cable for £263. with Audi stealers charges you will get your money back within first or two visits which you would normally make without the cable.
I did include the link in my message so do not hesitate and buy one ASAP.
Well, there is good news, I smelt something fishy very early on, as what the car was in there for was very simple, obviously my lights, and this brake pad info that needed entering to clear the error code in the car... and then only to leave with not a smidging of help with my lights and everything left on the seat where I put it, whilst offering the new replacement headlamps, but to see the handbrake fail for the first time since I've owned the car, when it was their for data input, I found that strange, but as they had my car and I was stuck at home with nothing, I paid the £263 bill and got them to put the old one on the seat when they returned the car. so Yeah I do have my original which I believe to be still in the full working order it was in when I dropped it off. If I could somehow find out where it goes and swap them back and add in the data of the thickness of the rear pads and then scan the car for the error code to check it's clear then I'm more than satisfied that they've scammed me! My problem is that I have the car and the unit, but don't know where it goes, or have the software to check it once I unplugged their new one and put back in my original. However I'm happy to accept help and offer some cash for the privilege of the help, as after all once it goes back in I get my £261 returned, plus I will be making claims for the 2 days they had it, for a job that didn't need doing which meant I had two days work I had to reschedule! It all adds up!

But yeah that's my plan, and a call to the service manager with my findings and a large complaint whilst using knowledge of the 2004 fraud ACT section 2 and parts (1) of section 4 and in the nicest one of my you've conned me and I'm not happy letters and I think I'll be offer not only my money back but some Audi Vouchers for the next few services!

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 19th August 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
I think dealers keep their fault kit for a while cause they have to send them all back to HQ.

Contact them and see if you have YOUR fault unit back and we add it to the list of things to look at when you're over?
Scott,

Hi Mate, landed on the UK about 1 'O clock this afternoon and at home again now clearing the usual back log of a week and a bits worth of emails, answerphone messages etc... But from tomorrow morning I'm free and ready as and when you are! I remember you said evenings after work were better for you, so if tomorrow evening is any good then it's more than fine with me. Obviously I'll come to you, so just need an address which you can PM or text over, or if tomorrow is not good then, the following evening or when to suit, you only have to suggest and I arrange everything around when you are free and able to help me out!

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 20th August 2014, 08:36 AM

Text sent mate.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 20th August 2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
Text sent mate.
Thanks for today Scott, I know I've text you... but wanted to update the post as well as it helps those others also following the post! we got around to doing quite a few bits on my car today, but the parking brake was not one of them due to it's location of the module not being in the right rear of the boot, and was wondering if anyone one knew exactly where it was so that the next time me and Scott get together we can get straight into sorting it out.

I currently use the handbrake manually and having this switched back to automatic where it went on when the engine went off would be awesome, in fact just like my original module that Audi took out in my suspicions for the sake of a sale as apposed to fault! So if anyone has a link or knows how to either set this up that would be great. Whether this is a setting or as suggested an update of some sort.

With regards to how I approach Audi Main dealers with this, well if as I suspect my original module does work and it was a lack of knowledge by the Audi fitter on how to correctly input the brake pad thickness which instead caused them to replace my module and charge me the £261:00 at a discounted 70% of retail then I feel my first approach would once I'm up and running again with my own module would be to call or visit their service manager direct reminding him/her of my previous visit which cause great annoyance of me having me car tied up with them for the two days as a disabled person and not supplied a rental, only to be told a working part was faulty by supposed professionals who then mis-sold me a part I didn't need scrapping a perfectly working part instead of simply charging me a charge for the time of inputting the data required off the fault code that not only I had given them but they had charged me £65 also discounted at 70% to just simply list in their report "Confirmed Customer Complaint!" I will back this up with a copy of their own report and my own written list of codes I gave them when booking it in. I obviously want my money back for the mis-sold part, and due to have to scheduling my work away for two days due to not having a car and the inconvenience of not having a car and being stuck at home for the two day... what would you say would be a realistic claim to go for over and above the full refund for the ripping me off and causing me loss of earnings and incapacitating my movements? I was thinking about a Voucher for my next service? is this realistic asking for this amount down this route, or can those who've dealt with Audi making complaints before suggest something more appropriate?

Regards, Mark.

Future Plans:

Planned Mods:

Old 17th September 2014, 07:35 AM

Ah EPB issues. Bloody D3 chassis.

If you have EEPROM error unfortunately that will always bring the light on. It is software corruption most of the time. If you can get a dealer to update it, but the handbrake modules used are pretty cheap so I would advise replacement. Under the battery.

Implausible signal I would always check continuity between the affected caliper and the handbrake ecu. 5 wires from memory. Wheel off, caliper wiring loom off and handbrake ecu off. Set your multimeter to beep if there is a loop and simply pinout each one to check they are connected.

Most often than not the pins get moisture inside and corrode. Sometimes as simple as electrical cleaner sorts it, otherwise pins can be got and repaired from TPS.

If it isn't that sadly the motor.....
Old 18th December 2015, 02:16 PM

Glad I found your post again, today I had same problem. About two months ago I replaced both parking brakes calipers. In the meantime I spotted problem with battery and today brake malfunction both of them. My first feeling was OMG new parts and already broken can't believe until I've done scan. Scan showed this same problem" Left and right brake motor voltage supply - Electrical malfunction in circuit. Have you had similar problem, do you think that my poor battery condition can cause this problem with the parking brakes when engine is off. I will appreciate for your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I suspect all but the first one are due to low battery and starting the car.

Clear all trouble codes, then do the Function Test:
Prerequisites:
Connect a battery charger as per repair manual.
Cycle the Parking Brake ON, then OFF first.
[Select]
[53 - Parking Brake]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 010
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The brake pads are now opening and closing 3 times.
Wait 30 seconds after the the brakes stop making noise.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
Clear all codes again.
Do you still get EPROM error?