A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 13th August 2014, 10:22 AM

Mine always starts fine when cold and is also usually ok if I shut the engine off when warm and then restart straight away.

It only tends to happen when I've driven it for some time, turned it off and then tried to restart about 15min later. The last time was at a motorway services; For about 40min, every attempt was met with silence from the starter (trying with push button or with key made no difference). Then eventually I managed to get a few partial cranks of the engine before the starter would stop again. Finally it burst into life after about an hour of cursing and just as I was calling the breakdown service.

The only error code I have is:

19510 - Starter will not turn.
P3054 - 001 - Jammed or Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent

I had been assuming that it was just sticking when hot (particularly when it had been sat for a little while and had chance to heat soak from the engine/trans). I'm hoping it's something else though given the work involved to change it!
Old 14th August 2014, 07:01 AM
Banned

That last post is exactly the symptoms im having ... seems to be behaving in the cooler weather ... I have the same error codes in the engine module too
Old 10th September 2014, 01:46 PM

Default 03 D3 4.2 v8 starting issue

Hi All

Has anyone managed to resolve this. I have the same problem - car will start cold 1st time every time however if its warm and been left for 30mins I get nothing and it can take 10 to 15 mins for it to start. I have just bought a starter from the site owners however don't want to get involved in replacing it if that isn't the answer.

Will check the ECO with Vagcom and report the error codes.

Many thanks

Martin
Old 12th September 2014, 06:52 PM
Banned

Error codes are as posted above before. its an engine out apparently to change the starter according to Audi ...

Had an Indi take a look he said that it looks like it is at very least drop the engine down its well buried in there
Old 12th September 2014, 07:32 PM

Managed to change mine.

Left the engine in and the subframe. Followed the guide above however nearly gave up when it came to the top starter bolt. Managed to get it with several 3/8 extension bars and 2 universal joints. Extremely difficult to remove this bolt. However once removed the job was easy. Touch wood the starter a8 parts has been perfect. Thanks dave.
Old 12th September 2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

You followed what guide sorry ? I didn't see a guide anywhere ? But thanks that sounds a great thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 08:35 PM

Post 3 has an attachment which is a guide.
Old 22nd September 2014, 03:58 PM

Local Indy changed my starter in the end (also without dropping the subframe). It seems to have solved the problem (fingers crossed!).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!