A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 12th August 2014, 08:22 AM

Hi Lord Hefner

I did send you a Private Message in reply to your message left on my visitors page.

I understand your anger mate, I really really do. Even more knowing that previous fella more likely downgraded your lamps and have done a good job.

First of all it looks like they are not coded properly, just one digit needs to be changed in a 7 digit code, very simple, but as explained in my reply you will need VCDS for it.
Then full scan to see what is going on in there
Then the worst case scenario new ballast or igniter - almost 100% sure its one of them, worst case scenario both, if coding wont help.

But, that doesn't mean that previous guy did not damaged a wiring loom.

If your adaptive headlights with LED or without were downgraded to bi-xenons then the connector is still the same, 14pin, so thanks god for that as it means he did not rewire your lamps. Only halogen headlights use 10pin connectors.

So assuming you do have new D2 bulbs it should be an easy fix when you plug VCDS

Shame you guys living so far cos I'm off on the 20th as well.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 22nd August 2014, 01:35 PM

Hi everyone,

Right the ballast is the issue (fingers crossed) and I'm tracking down a new one. However the Ballast currently in the car has the reference on both of them of 5DV 008 290 00, But typing in Audi A8 D3 Ballast up popped this genuine Audi Item, which gave part numbers and this one looks extremely similar and claims to be brand new but can someone who has access to the parts program check for me before ordering another one that the part number 4E0 907 813 will do the job of a 2009 Audi A8 3.0 TDI using ballasts with the %DV 008 290 00 Hella Code on it please.

I did order one on Wednesday but as typical with my luck on this headlamp issue upon me checking where it was today as I was expecting it in todays post the seller tells me it got returned to him damaged by the post office, whether I believe that or not I don't know! However the search for another goes on.

Any help with the above would be appreciated!

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 22nd August 2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHefner View Post
Hi everyone,

Right the ballast is the issue (fingers crossed) and I'm tracking down a new one. However the Ballast currently in the car has the reference on both of them of 5DV 008 290 00, But typing in Audi A8 D3 Ballast up popped this genuine Audi Item, which gave part numbers and this one looks extremely similar and claims to be brand new but can someone who has access to the parts program check for me before ordering another one that the part number 4E0 907 813 will do the job of a 2009 Audi A8 3.0 TDI using ballasts with the %DV 008 290 00 Hella Code on it please.

I did order one on Wednesday but as typical with my luck on this headlamp issue upon me checking where it was today as I was expecting it in todays post the seller tells me it got returned to him damaged by the post office, whether I believe that or not I don't know! However the search for another goes on.

Any help with the above would be appreciated!

Regards, Mark.
Mark. I will send you all the part numbers in a while when I get back home, not a problem mate

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Mark. I will send you all the part numbers in a while when I get back home, not a problem mate
Ideal, thanks for that mate! Is there a link for the software for part finding, or a disc that I can obtain/donate/purchase. I had one for the Evo's when I had one of them, very useful bit of kit!

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:55 PM

For fault finding like you need , your better off either doing it yourself if you have the knowledge and ability, failing that a good indie or friend.

The reason being Audi technician are paid to do work on allotted time codes and have no incentive to do proper fault finding.

I know a ex Master tech who left for that very reason.

Hope you get it sorted out though/

Old 23rd August 2014, 10:50 AM

Morning Mark

So PM me your address and I will send you what you need mate

BTW, have you purchased a VCDS cable already from the link I sent you via PM some time ago?? It's a must and don't hesitate because I can guarantee you that you will get the money back within first 2-3 uses base on what Audi Stealer will charge you for each diagnostic.
Having cable and great community like this one you will be able to save your self huge amount of money and do a lot more yourself, even if you think you can't do it, trust me, YES YOU CAN

About your ballast.

For 2009 part number is 4E0 907 476
4E0 907 813 is a correct part number, but annoyingly there is no remarks or year for which this part is.

If you purchased it already, then nothing stops you from trying it, it may work. On the end of the day its a ballast for a xenon D2S bulb, and all A8s were equipped in D2S.

I did some googling and 813 on most of the pages is a part number for 8s until 2007/2008, only couple of them them states that it's for all D3s, but you can't always trust all of them.

See attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mark.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	8800   Click image for larger version

Name:	mark 2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	8801   Click image for larger version

Name:	mark 3.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	8802  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 23rd August 2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Morning Mark

So PM me your address and I will send you what you need mate

BTW, have you purchased a VCDS cable already from the link I sent you via PM some time ago?? It's a must and don't hesitate because I can guarantee you that you will get the money back within first 2-3 uses base on what Audi Stealer will charge you for each diagnostic.
Having cable and great community like this one you will be able to save your self huge amount of money and do a lot more yourself, even if you think you can't do it, trust me, YES YOU CAN

About your ballast.

For 2009 part number is 4E0 907 476
4E0 907 813 is a correct part number, but annoyingly there is no remarks or year for which this part is.

If you purchased it already, then nothing stops you from trying it, it may work. On the end of the day its a ballast for a xenon D2S bulb, and all A8s were equipped in D2S.

I did some googling and 813 on most of the pages is a part number for 8s until 2007/2008, only couple of them them states that it's for all D3s, but you can't always trust all of them.

See attached
For the money they are asking and it's claiming to be new I would say that it is well worth doing.!!

I will PM you my address in a second. Thanks for that buddy, much appreciated.

Regards, Mark.

Future Plans:

Planned Mods:

Old 23rd August 2014, 08:06 PM

Of course Mark, you paid pennies for it so it's worth trying.
I will get what I can and send it over to you

What OS are your running on your PC???
If Win 7, are you computer minded on basic level to install a XP Mode from Microsoft website and enable in BIOS Virtual Technology????
I could write a little guide for you if needed, no problem.
ETKA works only on Win XP, but XP mode is nothing else than a full legal XP system in one application with a click of a button on your Win 7 desktop, its a virtual OS type of thing.

And this is a MUST as I mentioned it many times, this will save you a fortune from the first time you plug it in.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Gendan also offers a great phone support.

What headlights exactly have you got??
Xenon and halogen, Bi-Xenon and P21W, Bi-Xenon with Cornering Light and P21W???

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:53 PM

...and get your self one of these.
I can't burn you a copy because I ran out of license keys as it comes with 5 keys only and I did one copy for Neil, Jim and installed it also on my office PC, laptop and my ''workshop'' laptop, sorry.

I know this seller and I've had no issues with his items and he has nicely written guide as well plus compatible with 32 and 64 bit systems and Win 7 & 8 as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Elsaw...item3a94dd9caa

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Of course Mark, you paid pennies for it so it's worth trying.
I will get what I can and send it over to you

What OS are your running on your PC???
If Win 7, are you computer minded on basic level to install a XP Mode from Microsoft website and enable in BIOS Virtual Technology????
I could write a little guide for you if needed, no problem.
ETKA works only on Win XP, but XP mode is nothing else than a full legal XP system in one application with a click of a button on your Win 7 desktop, its a virtual OS type of thing.

And this is a MUST as I mentioned it many times, this will save you a fortune from the first time you plug it in.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Gendan also offers a great phone support.

What headlights exactly have you got??
Xenon and halogen, Bi-Xenon and P21W, Bi-Xenon with Cornering Light and P21W???
Operating system on all three laptops and out server is all Windows 8 so somehow I'll have to find away of either dual booting or something

Yeah, I've had great help from Scott with his cable and already I've been more impressed with him out side his house with an extension lead running a laptop with that lead than anything Audi main dealer has done! So it is defiantly on the cards for me the second I get a spare bit of cash it's bought. Also nice to know the support from the people supplying it is there also, that makes for great business.

The headlamps in my car are as follows. The outer of the light hold to indicator bulbs, next to this is where the D2s and the igniter that powers it is housed, then next to this there is the tiny 5 watt 501 plugged into the reflector and this shared with the P21W bulb, which when Scott switched them over from the previous set up to the current these bulbs now illuminate with the pulling of the stalk, so of the original set up and the problem we have got three of the four bulbs working as they should and the fourth should be working once the ballast arrives and gets swapped over. But the selection of which headlamps I've got still needs sorting as at the moment when the engine is on the main beam comes on with the light selector being in the off position, and the to turn them off I have to put it in side lights so only the side lights (with the option of putting fog lights on in addition) is offered. Obvious the software is Scott's and I have basic understanding of the software, but I assume once we have got the non working D2S sorted and tested by using the laptop to activate them. From there it is only a case of picking one of the various options left until we get the right one. I for one with so much hope and plans for this lovely car, so badly want to close this thread because these headlamps have been the nightmare of the last two months, and it wasn't until I got on to these forums that I even seen signs of hope!

Regards, Mark.

Future Plans:

Planned Mods: