A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 16th August 2014, 06:36 PM

Default Space saver spare wheel for S8?

Apologies for the sudden barrage of questions - I've had an S8 looked at by the RAC and it has thrown up an issue with the tyres, and also the spare.

The report tells me that the tyres on the car are shod with 265/35/R20 tyres, as they should be.

But the spare is said to be a 255/45/R18.

I thought running different tyre threads by 4mm or so across the same axle was supposed to play havoc with the Quattro diff. By my sums, the spare will 6mm shorter than a regular wheel.

Interestingly, my PDFs of the 2006 and 2008 brochures make no mention of the spare. But in the Mar 09 brochure, on page 8, it says that all A8s come with a full size spare, but then a footnote says that if you order 20” inch wheels you get a space saver spare. It doesn't mention the size of the space save though.

An amateur S8 review I have read on Pistonheads makes a point of saying that the spare is full size though.

Anyone care to look in their boot and tell me what they have?

TIA.
Old 16th August 2014, 07:47 PM

To be fair, apart from the wheels physically being such different sizes as a spare wheel it will work because the rolling radius is very similar as you will see from the attached, and that's what is important to quattro not throwing up any faults

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	8767  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 17th August 2014, 03:40 PM

All D3 8s I've see sat either on 255/20 or 275/20

I've got 255/35/20 on 9J and as a spare 255/45/18 8.5J so they are identical

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tyre.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	8769  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 17th August 2014, 04:32 PM

Didn't realise you were running 255's on 9J wheels. I had that for a while and it destroys the shoulders (back on my 8.5J wheels now), that may also be a cause of your tyre wear as the tyres are wider at the wheel, flexing the main tread down a little resulting in heavier shoulder wear.

275/30/20 is the best option on 9J for tyre life.

I know.. I know..

Old 18th August 2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Didn't realise you were running 255's on 9J wheels. I had that for a while and it destroys the shoulders (back on my 8.5J wheels now), that may also be a cause of your tyre wear as the tyres are wider at the wheel, flexing the main tread down a little resulting in heavier shoulder wear.

275/30/20 is the best option on 9J for tyre life.
Richard, I think you just solved my tyre wear issue. It increased after switching to 20s and going extra half inch on the width of the wheel.
Tyres atm don't look very stretched but they are definitely on the edge, so rim protector does nothing.

This actually makes sense and could extend the life as you said.
I was running 255s Dunlops on 8.5J 18" wheels (car already lowered) and I have to say that even if the inner tyre wear was still excessive, the rest of the thread was way more worn out that it is now where now inner side is almost bold, but rest of the tyre has plenty of life left.

Thanks Richard

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 20th August 2014, 11:48 AM

Default D3 S8 tyre sizes (2006 model)

Hi Guys,

I read this rather late but investigated when I bought my winter tyres (18" rims).

The standard wheel for my car (d3, 2006 S8) is 20"*9", 10 spoke. The standard tyre is 265*35*20.

The factory fitted spare is 18"*8 with (fat) 5 spokes, sprayed gloss black with one of those horrible yellow stickers limiting you to 50 mph. The factory fitted tyre is 255*45*18. In my case, the wheel had never been removed from the wheel well (still shiny) and the tyre still had the rubber sprules sticking out, also unused.

When I bought my winter wheels, I bought 18"*7.5" also 10 spoke pattern match to the 20" originals. I fitted 235*50*18 winter tyres which are very similar in rolling radius (dunlop winter sport d3).

Hope that helps

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.