A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 21st September 2018, 10:18 PM

Default Online Destination - Server not responding?

Hi there,

For some time now I have not been able to access Online Destinations as I get the following error;

The data connection could not be opened.

The server is not responding.

Now I can send destinations from within either Audi app and the phone, Google maps, traffic and Audi Online Services all work correctly. I just cannot connect to the server to retrieve any of the available online destinations sent to the car.

Now this might have been knocked out of action when Audi Northampton half-updated the MMI 3G+ in my 2014 Facelift 4.2TDi LWB but I cant be certain.

Has anyone else experienced this as I was wondering if it might be a similar problem to the Audi/Google Maps outage some months ago?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:21 AM

Is it possible your access to the system has ended based on the original date of registration? I know on our Golf a load of the online services time out at 3 years unless you pay to extend them. I can view the dates and status by logging on to a VW site that confirms whether they're live or not.

Presume you've got a built in SIM so it's nothing to do with pairing to a phone and sharing a network connection?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th September 2018, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Adrian...I'm still not getting reply notifications despite having checked to ensure the Instant email notification box is ticked

Well it still says 'Online' on the MMI screen on the far left and everything else works OK such as Online Services, Weather etc. but you might have a point as I originally purchased my original 2011 D4 around September time last year and rang Audi to subscribe at that time!

Yeah I use the built-in SIM for the car and rarely use my iPhone as the reception in the car on EE has always been poor...

Thanks for the offer but I'll check it out with Audi first to see if that's what the problem might be.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 25th September 2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Adrian...I'm still not getting reply notifications despite having checked to ensure the Instant email notification box is ticked
If you didn't have this ticked previously, you may not be subscribed to the thread. Near the top right, below the page number, there is an option for 'Thread Tools'. The last option on that is 'Subscribe to this Thread'. Try selecting that and see if it you get any notifications.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 5th October 2018, 05:46 PM

Well I checked the license details from the MMI and it tells me my license is good until March 2019 so I don’t think it’s a license issue.

Also I just checked Thread Tools and it indicates I am already subscribed to this thread by showing ‘Unsubscribe from this thread’ as I would suspect as that is how it is set up in Preferences which is confirmed when I reply by showing Thread Subscription Notification Type as Instant email notification.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 5th October 2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
Also I just checked Thread Tools and it indicates I am already subscribed to this thread by showing ‘Unsubscribe from this thread’ as I would suspect as that is how it is set up in Preferences which is confirmed when I reply by showing Thread Subscription Notification Type as Instant email notification.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Unusual. Do you get notifications about other subscribed threads? If yes, what about trying to Unsubscribe and then Subscribe again to the thread. Other than that, I'm stumped.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th October 2018, 08:42 PM

Hi Glen,

I recall having issues with my 2012 D4 in this regard, which if I recall correctly was to do with the fact that it could not cope with 2 connections (ie. in dash SIM and phone connected) at the same time. I had a 3 Data SIM that i put in the dash (doesn’t support 4G though)

Try unpairing and deleting your phone and just rely on the SIM you inserted in the dash (assume it has a data connnection and you have good 3G signal).

On my 2015 D4 FL, I could have both the in dash SIM operational and a phone paired at the same time, and you chose which SIM was used for what - there was additional functionality in this regard with the FL model.

Hope that helps
Mark
2015 A8 D4 FL 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2012 A8 D4 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2009 A8 D3 3.0tdi SE not many options but Viezu mapped to 292bhp
2005 XJ 4.2 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB with lots of options
2000 XJ 4.0 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB not many options
+ lots of Fords and Volvo
Old 19th October 2018, 07:19 PM

Just seen your reply Mark as I am still not getting thread notifications...

Well I had it working in my 2011 with both the car SIM and mobile phone and also in this 2014 with the same setup.

I use the car SIM to make/receive calls and Audi Online Services not my mobile.

I think a previous MMI software update enabled the choice of making calls via either the car SIM or mobile phone if that might make a difference?

My car had this option from the factory.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the complete ****-up that was my visit to Audi Northampton to update the MMI software.

They had the car for over half a day and when I drove it away I checked the versions and it was exactly the same as when it was when I drove it in so I turned around for them to have another go.

This time the maps had been updated (I wasn't bothered about that because I always use Google Earth) but the MMI software itself was still on the 2014 factory version.

They said they weren't prepared to update the MMI version despite them doing my 2011 pre-facelift when requested last year.

Odd then that my 2011 car had newer software than my 2014 facelift using the same dealer...

-=Glyn=-
Old 20th October 2018, 10:21 AM

Hi Glyn,

My 2012MY could definitely not operate both Sim’s at the same time, even though I knew those in other markets could. It was a firmware level I believe, as I had all the hardware, but it was not available via my dealer. I stopped trying in 2013 though.

Looks like your dealer was more successful in doing yours.

My 2015MY facelift worked straight out of the box, and continued to do so all the time I owned it, including past the 3 years, so no idea what happened there.

Cheers
Mark
2015 A8 D4 FL 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2012 A8 D4 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2009 A8 D3 3.0tdi SE not many options but Viezu mapped to 292bhp
2005 XJ 4.2 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB with lots of options
2000 XJ 4.0 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB not many options
+ lots of Fords and Volvo
Old 31st October 2018, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Mark,

My old 2011 originally couldn’t handle two SIM’s until the MMI was updated to K0942_4 but my 2014 worked with the choice of two SIM’s on the original factory software P0770 I think.

Northampton Audi was certainly not successful in anything to do with my 2014 car and has failed miserably and not just with the MMI update.

And would you believe on Monday when I tried the Online destination this time it prompted me for my password and then proceeded to work as it should!

I have no idea why it hasn’t worked for the last 6 months or indeed if it will now continue to work as it should but it is working for now and I’m grateful for that.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited by GlynH; 31st October 2018 at 06:33 PM.