A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 27th July 2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOR_KNet View Post
I was very unlucky earlier this year and discovered my cowl drain where clogged and that water was comming in both through the air fan and the seal around the air fan

So took all the carpets out for a week to dry out (both in the sun and on the bathroom floor).

Jacked up the car and used a long pin with some paper and surfex hd and cleaned the cowl drains.

Then i flushed it from above with boiling water before i used some swissvax pneu and made the drains more smooth so dirt dont stick as easy (hopefully).

I discovered that one of the metal clips holding the drains against the chassie had come loos and was clogging the one drain. Any tips on how to attach it again?

Will be checking these drains more regulary (sunroof and AC to).
How did you get at them from under the car, when I had a look I couldn't see anything for engine and gearbox.

As to the metal clip I have no idea how your going to get to that to put it back in.

Do you have any photos of your drain points?

Old 27th July 2016, 12:04 PM

When under the car just look straight up where the downpipe connects to the flexi pipe on the exhaust. Had to use a light and did some searching before i found them.

Mine was "glued" shut due to all the gunk so no water went through.

I sure wonder if there would be any wrong in removing those cowl drains fully? Then there will be no problem with water and gunk clogging the drains.

I have no photos of this, I'm sorry.

I guess the only chance to attach the clip is to remove the whole AC housing, but not sure how to do that.

Regards
Kenneth
Old 27th July 2016, 02:45 PM

You don't want to know 😱

You be better buying a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOR_KNet View Post
When under the car just look straight up where the downpipe connects to the flexi pipe on the exhaust. Had to use a light and did some searching before i found them.

Mine was "glued" shut due to all the gunk so no water went through.

I sure wonder if there would be any wrong in removing those cowl drains fully? Then there will be no problem with water and gunk clogging the drains.

I have no photos of this, I'm sorry.

I guess the only chance to attach the clip is to remove the whole AC housing, but not sure how to do that.

Regards
Kenneth

Old 27th July 2016, 04:34 PM

Thats just great..

Maybe if i remove the exhaust and gearbox hehee
Old 14th October 2016, 08:33 PM

Great thread this, lots of good information

I drove out in my 8 on Tuesday night and heard a "sloshing" noise but wasn't sure where it was coming from. Music off, drove some more, decided it was from above rather than below me. I decided to have a look at the weekend as time after work is limited, as is daylight right now.

Drove out last night and first right turn saw copious amounts of water cascade from the headlining near the C pillar and drench the seat This prompted me to take a look tonight as a matter of urgency and armed with the information provided here I cleared and cleaned the sunroof drains, both of which were blocked. The area had a build-up of sediment so I assume this gets washed down the drainage tubes and blocks over time. It took some effort to force some plastic tubing down both sides but once down there I could flush both sides with hot soapy water, then flushed with plenty of cold water to follow. The drivers side blockage was more difficult to shift so I improvised by pushing the tubing down as far as it would go then attaching a stand pump and introducing pressure very slowly until the blockage cleared. I felt this preferable to attaching my compressor and bursting the pipe, as Del suggested might happen

Scuttle panels removed afterwards and cleaned and flushed so hopefully I've caught this before any real damage is done. I really can't emphasise enough the views of others that these need to be cleaned regularly, I feel like I've had a lucky escape this week.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 14th October 2016, 09:52 PM

Glad you caught it Ron. Reminds me mine should get another look soon. Will have to wait as off to Canada in the morning.

Old 15th October 2016, 06:50 AM

I use an adapted Garden sprayer for the front sunroof drains. The rears I did last year by removing the back wheels and arch liners, although they were ok.

I've never done the Scuttle drains yet, I make a point of regularly removing the scuttle covers and going over the whole area with a vacuum to stop the crud getting down to the bottom.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th October 2016, 07:00 AM

I used a bug spray bottle similar to Del's, did the trick for me. It allows a decent flow of hot soapy water to be directed down the drains to ensure they're clear. I haven't done the rears but I'm not too concerned. My cars stands facing down a slightly inclined drive so my assumption is that the dirt will always be exiting the sunroof area via the front drains, so they're most likely to block.

I removed the scuttle covers, saw there wasn't much debris at all, removed what was there, then flushed water through them and observed it exiting rapidly from both sides so I'm happy they're good for now

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 19th October 2016, 12:11 PM

Hi there,

I've had a go at the sunroof drains. Reading on the net strimmer "wire" is recomended, though i didn't have particularly thick stuff and it was a medium sucess. I ended up taking the Passenger wheel off and the back arch cover. Up in the top of the wing is where the front sunroof points exit and a bit of massaging of the nozzle and I cleared it and flushed water down and it's free flowing now.

Tried the same trick with the drivers side, but removing the arch and the washer water bottle is obscuring things

Not ideal but at least now with one drain working well it clears the water build up quickly and the cabin is safe from going round a corner!

Do all the D3's have rear sunroof drains as i've seen conflicting info and didn't look *doh*

Lee
Old 19th October 2016, 02:16 PM

Yes they do, but require removal of arch liners in the rear