A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th February 2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
If you find yourself dwelling to much on the running costs for your S8, take it out for a spin.
Oh I'm in no doubt I've made the right choice, I may wince at the mid teens MPG at times but I get a real buzz every time I drive it, and that thrill hasn't faded in nearly two years of ownership. I'm in this "relationship" for the long term

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 15th February 2016, 10:07 PM

I looked at leasing an S8 earlier this year as there were some really good offers about. And when you take into account depreciation it was a clear winner. Also the best price i was offered for a brand new one was £58k bog standard from £81k so it gives you a clear insight into why they fall so heavily in the first year. That was from an Audi dealer not one of the discount shops.
But i like to own my cars so tend to buy them second hand and know whatever happens its mine. I have gradually built up over the years and try to move them on every two to three years.
Imho the A8 is a superb buy secondhand and offers great bang for your buck, thats said you will always loose money but chose to drive a top class motor.
I couldnt put up with some of the other stuff on offer everyday, i have given it a go and regretted every minute. So much so my Mrs always says, just get another A8, she knows i will be moaning otherwise
That said some of the contract lease deals offer a reasonable cost to get yorself into a brand new motor i guess. Hence why pcp has also allowed many folks to get into new motors ....i have just never been able to convince myself of its benefits. I bet the majority are now on those deals and delaers get bonuses on repeat business which those schemes encourage.
I suppose its like most things in life you make your choice and pays the price i am and always have been car mad so i also justify the cost as being my interest or hobby :
Cheers Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 15th February 2016, 10:29 PM

Had mine almost 6 years and I'm in the throes of getting a garage built so I can keep it rather than replace it. Its depreciated about £12 - 16k and I've done 55k'ish miles with very little expense.
Old 16th February 2016, 06:48 PM

Is it a vat 'fiddle'?
If a dealer sells to a subsidiary that claims the vat back and then leases out, they claim back £12k on an A8 class car and then the government makes the vat on the monthly payments instead at a relative trickle until the vehicle is no longer vat qualifying and is sold.
S8 for £480 a month?
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/audi...system-2252041
Old 16th February 2016, 08:06 PM

Sounds really good at £13k ~ £14k over 2 years. But you don't keep the car is that right?

I know its not comparing like-for-like as the lease is for a brand new car. Looking at the depreciation estimates, it seems cheaper to get a 4 year old car for £25k and own it outright. In the same time span two x 2 year leases would have cost £26k and you have no car at the end of it.

On the other hand if you are only considering a brand new car, lease does seem much better value.
Old 16th February 2016, 08:55 PM

You have to think of it on a 'cost to change' basis - renting for 2-3 years new vs depreciation if you owned it from new, vs those of us who tend to buy at 2-4 years old and keep for several years.

In real cash terms the latter is probably less expensive overall but the potential for a big bill on an expensive motor is that bit more real....

One thing to note ref PCP deals is that bog basic spec is the way to go - any options are basically written off financially within the lease period. So best go for a really high spec car in standard form

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 17th February 2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
You have to think of it on a 'cost to change' basis - renting for 2-3 years new vs depreciation if you owned it from new, vs those of us who tend to buy at 2-4 years old and keep for several years.

In real cash terms the latter is probably less expensive overall but the potential for a big bill on an expensive motor is that bit more real....

One thing to note ref PCP deals is that bog basic spec is the way to go - any options are basically written off financially within the lease period. So best go for a really high spec car in standard form
Great advice, Adrian. Summed up well.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds