A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 17th January 2015, 03:11 PM

Right o.
It arrived today and tested on the television and set it up.
I plugged it into my TV Aux and it works apart from a 60Hz buzz on the audio which stays at 60Hz and changes in volume depending on the brightness of the video image and sort of changes in sympathy with the picture. As it is NTSC and 60Hz it sounds like the video synch is making a noise on the Audio. Did yours do this Delboy? I tried both Aux ins (as I have two) and no change. Next I will try adding some additional grounds to the -ve connections.

The navigation works well, and I see what you mean about washed out as though the gamma is weird - i was able to reduce contrast and colour to get a fair match for the iphone screen. It's a great addition and I recommend it to anyone with an existing TV tuner. We can use iTunes, Spotify, internet radio, catchup TV, News 24 etc...
Old 17th January 2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Right o.
It arrived today and tested on the television and set it up.
I plugged it into my TV Aux and it works apart from a 60Hz buzz on the audio which stays at 60Hz and changes in volume depending on the brightness of the video image and sort of changes in sympathy with the picture. As it is NTSC and 60Hz it sounds like the video synch is making a noise on the Audio. Did yours do this Delboy? I tried both Aux ins (as I have two) and no change. Next I will try adding some additional grounds to the -ve connections.

The navigation works well, and I see what you mean about washed out as though the gamma is weird - i was able to reduce contrast and colour to get a fair match for the iphone screen. It's a great addition and I recommend it to anyone with an existing TV tuner. We can use iTunes, Spotify, internet radio, catchup TV, News 24 etc...
I can't say I noticed any audio quirks like that, is it just in the car you get that, or in the house as well?

Old 22nd January 2015, 06:14 PM

Haven't got around to looking into the Audio yet hum and will try the PSU above which the wife has hidden in a drawer somewhere, but boy my battery is low when I leave this connected to the cigar lighter overnight. Does anyone know of a switched 12v in the boot? I couldn't find one - all permanent, and nothing on google apart from people asking the same question!
Old 22nd January 2015, 07:20 PM

I could not find an ignition switched feed in the boot of my 2004 A8 D3 3.o TDI.
The only switched feed that I found was in the fusebox at the left side of the dash, left of the glove box, open passenger door to see it.
Bit difficult to locate it 'cos there is a delay when switching on and off.

I'm playing with a little circuit with a relay that latches ON when I press a momentary contact button then latches OFF when the same button is pressed again. The special bit is that it also latches OFF when the supply is removed and stays OFF when supply is reconnected.
My idea is to supply it from ignition hot then the load would only be supplied when the button is pressed momentarily. then if I forgot to press again to turn it off it would be dropped with ignition off.

OK you pedantic ones, I know a diesel does not have ignition but you know what I think I mean

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Haven't got around to looking into the Audio yet hum and will try the PSU above which the wife has hidden in a drawer somewhere, but boy my battery is low when I leave this connected to the cigar lighter overnight. Does anyone know of a switched 12v in the boot? I couldn't find one - all permanent, and nothing on google apart from people asking the same question!
Yeah thats on my todo list, I never even thought about it not switching off when the car went to sleep, however was sat in the dining room a few days after fitting it and boom phone connected to the Kivic and the penny dropped.

I checked the battery state and it was still 100% on mmi if that can be trusted and started the car fine, but it is a fairly new beast of a AGM Varta start stop silver battery, the chap in the shop put his tester on it and if I remember it was over 1000 cca.

If you find a convenient solution I'll be all ears.

Old 23rd January 2015, 05:31 PM

Interesting. So this can be done with any device that has RCA output leads (red, yellow, white?). Does the car have female RCA inputs then or do I need an adapter?

Is there a good reference guide for installation? Also to understand existing requirements of the car. For example I understand some head-up displays have no video input if the car was not fitted with a TV Tuner or advanced parking camera.

It sounds like I need to remove the Nav DVD player in the boot and have a look at what connections lurk behind? In my case I have no TV tuner but advanced parking should mean that at least I don't need to upgrade my screen...

I see there are other choices for the unit available too. For example here from just £34 delivered (ex import charges) I guess you get what you pay for in terms of the quality and features compared to the Kivic model.... I will explore further
Old 23rd January 2015, 07:27 PM

Further to my reply earlier today, I only hope that nobody minds too much for me to continue with more detail

I purchased one of these:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351179797916?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Supplied it from one of these:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latching-relay-board-with-single-pushbutton-input-to-latch-unlatch-relay-/111576447085?category=42899

I used an ignition switched supply to the relay board.
I used a momentary contact push button from Maplin to operate the relay (happened to have an unused one in the odds and sods box with a LED in it).
Connected the PSU/voltage dropper to the NO (normally open) output on the relay board.

The PSU now gives me 5 volts for whatever "black box" I am playing with as long as the Ign is "on" and I have pressed the button (the button LED lights to remind me the circuit is live).
If I press the button again, or switch Ign "off" the load loses it's supply.

No more low battery 'cos I forgot to switch the toy's supply OFF

Hope that makes sense.

I could have used a transistor circuit to do this but I wanted to use a relay this time. Remember I am an old fashioned 75 years young grumpy old codger!

I am still messing about with various toys via this set up and have not hard wired it in my A8 yet but will do when I finalise what wil be supplied by it. The end result is that I will have a 12 volt and a 5 volt switched supply when I need them.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 23rd January 2015, 08:15 PM

Mind if you put more detail?? This forum is used to show severe OCD sufferers that there are worse people than them out there

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd January 2015, 08:49 PM

I find it very rewarding that my reader lets me know that he is actually there by posting a comment on my diatribe

Seriously, it is rather nice to know that people care enough to look at my meagre efforts, but then I have received an awful lot of very useful assistance via this forum.
Thanks Guys, you are a great bunch.

Old 24th January 2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I find it very rewarding that my reader lets me know that he is actually there by posting a comment on my diatribe

Seriously, it is rather nice to know that people care enough to look at my meagre efforts, but then I have received an awful lot of very useful assistance via this forum.
Thanks Guys, you are a great bunch.
Your efforts are in no way meagre, I shall make good use of that, thanks for sharing.