A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th March 2014, 09:55 PM

Default Brake Boosting...

Ive never done this before, because i do not think its safe if im honest.

When i plant the throttle there is a little delay before it really picks up. Making it not as quick as it could be off the line. Someone suggested i brake boost. You basically brake hard with your left foot and plant the throttle with the right. Build up the revs and let go.

Now surely having 3k rpm holding on the brakes isnt gonna be good for the car / gearbox...

Did any A8's come with launch control ?.
Old 16th March 2014, 10:07 PM

You're right. You'll fry the transmission and run the risk of toasting a load of other stuff.

4.2s are usually pretty sprightly off the line. Hire a Chevy Aveo 1.2 for a couple of days, then get back in the Audi. Boom, all will be forgiven!!
Old 16th March 2014, 10:14 PM

I thought it would! Im gonna go back and slap him lol
Old 17th March 2014, 06:55 AM

The delay is caused by the drive by wire system, the throttle pedal is non linear. For other VAG cars you can get a device that sits between the pedal electronics and ECU which alters the signals sent back to the car.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 17th March 2014, 07:13 AM

I doubt it would work cause I thought it kills the revs when the break and throttle is pressed at the same time?
I did on my B5.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 17th March 2014, 07:16 AM

You can brake and throttle at the same time, I did this briefly to check the engine mounts. The engine rocked slightly but the revs did not rise since the D3 has torque converter lockup in all forward gears.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 17th March 2014, 06:18 PM

I just tried it briefly to test, will let u build up to 3k ish and **** me does it shift.

Dont think ill be doing it again though; cant be good having the turbos spooling and not going anywhere...
Old 17th March 2014, 06:41 PM

I don't think its a good thing but try saying that to the 1.8T tuners who puts in NLS and launch control and such.

Just the thought of it makes me cringe with the stress the engine and such is going through.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 23rd March 2014, 05:33 PM

Cant be good having the turbo under load and your not moving lol
Old 23rd March 2014, 05:40 PM

One, engine remap, this will improve throttle response.
Two, gearbox remap, inc launch control http://jfautomotive.co.uk/ecu-remapping/gearbox-tuning/

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten