A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 14th July 2013, 09:57 PM

Question Procedure for removing Brembo callipers?

All,
Done the "start a job too late knowing full well you won't have time to finish it and that you WILL run into trouble, but start anyway" school boy error thing. Have a place lined up to send my callipers for a full refurb to, but realised I don't know how to get them off. Need help removing the lines......what do I remove from what? Main bolt holding hard lines to calliper....? I don't want to break anything.

I'm an idiot today....must be the heat.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 14th July 2013, 10:53 PM

Here is what Elsa says, although it doesnt read like a procedure. Hopefully someone has access to the online version which may give better instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: doc S8 Front brake Brembo.doc (185.0 KB, 364 views)
Old 15th July 2013, 08:53 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks Goran Interesting that it advises always replacing the calliper mounting bolts. Are they some sort of stretch bolt?? Foolishly undid one of the actual calliper bolts that hold both halves together last night in a heat-fuelled stupor...still can't for the life of me work out why. That was tight!!

Still not clear on what brake line to remove from what....looks like I need to unbolt the bracket from the calliper, and the calliper end of the brake hard line from the calliper. I'll have another look... In daylight this time!!

PS: what do people use to plug the end of the brakes lines when they're detached?

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 15th July 2013, 09:45 AM

I reckon that bolt was tight mate, you did well to undo that one, inside all awkward and that. The socket allen type are the one's. Disconnect the brake line flare nut, at the caliper, M8 or 10 i think 8 i'm sure it's 8. Be careful as the flare nuts get tight and the brake pipe being copper might turn instead (sorry fronts have rubber flex). If you have a flare nut spanner can save you knuckles

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 15th July 2013, 09:45 AM

If you haven't already I'd look at getting some braided flexi hoses while they're off. You can clamp the old flexi with some cardboard and mole grips to stop all the fluid escaping but you'll prob want to do a full fluid change or at least a proper front brake bleed after they're reinstalled anyway

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th July 2013, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up

Seen any suppliers for braided lines? Would be nice...

Those rubber pipes don't look fleixible enough for my brake pipe clamps....sure they will be.

Very jittery about undoing that flare nut...you're right: the pipe wants to turn with it. I'll soak in some WD for a while.

Thanks all,
Zip

Old 15th July 2013, 10:05 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I reckon that bolt was tight mate, you did well to undo that one, inside all awkward and that.
Helps being 6'5" and far too heavy.....all muscle and no brains Nicely rounded off allen head for my trouble

Z

Old 15th July 2013, 10:23 AM

You can get them made to spec by Motorsport places - will have a look and post a link when I find one. Earls springs to mind and Goodridge (sp?)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th July 2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Seen any suppliers for braided lines? Would be nice...

Those rubber pipes don't look fleixible enough for my brake pipe clamps....sure they will be.

Very jittery about undoing that flare nut...you're right: the pipe wants to turn with it. I'll soak in some WD for a while.

Thanks all,
Zip
Those lines do look tough but they'll clamp, i used a small G-clamp though i don't have Brembo's. I did look at changing the flex's too but the further back the car i looked it didn't get any better, so i cracked the nut and twisted the caliper, it's really awkward but worked. I heated the flare nut with something similar to this

I did end up borrowing a friends brake pipe tool to remake one of the pipes but it was a copper one not the flexi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torch.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	6383  

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 15th July 2013, 04:05 PM

Thumbs up

They're out! All quite straight forward in the end. Ended up with a couple of fingers off a silicone glove secured with a nice tight O-ring over the end of each pipe to stop weeping. I've got a Gunson Eazibleed which I have used a few times for reassembly time.

Unfortunately the end of the section of metal pipe from calliper to bracket moved slightly at the bracket end when I was removing it, and there appears to be a very small weep....hmmmm. Will have another look when I give everything a good clean later in the week.

If you're lucky, you may get a photo of the finished articles when I get them back. Got all new disc and pads all round to fit at the weekend (used Murray's Direct in Hatfield - nice bloke).

Meanwhile, spot the missing part...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirty wheel.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	6384

I tell you what, trying to relocate a wheel and disc with no calliper in place ain't easy in this heat....

Thanks gents.

Zip