A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 15th September 2022, 06:36 AM

Try loosening and retightening both bolts.
Old 15th September 2022, 08:33 AM

Thanks MJ that's the plan, I did last time but probably not far enough, probably too timid as I'm not familiar with what's in there.
How far could the mountings move on the end of the rams, and is it just fore/aft; I presume the bolt goes through a slot or eye?

Edit: Just done what I should have before and look at my Bentley manual (US version though). The bolt goes through a round hole according to that.
That also implies that the rams return slowly to normal (or should) if the compression is less than about an inch (max 30mm specified) and can then be reused.
I'm pretty sure it was less than that so maybe I just need to release the bolts, pull the bumper forwards and leave for a while before tightening?

Another interesting thing I noted is that there are adjustable sleeves inside the mounting holes on the end of the rams to facilitate vertical adjustment of the bumper.
And also some assembly bolted to the outer end which seems to adjust alignment with the wing panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
There are also minor scuffs on the paintwork which ideally would need a strip, respray and new ceramic coating, but in reality are not much different to normal wear and tear from stone chips, so don't need immediate attention.
And in fact I've given them, and some pre-existing scratches, some careful TLC with a very fine paint applicator (Amusingly in a touch-up kit from "The Car Doctor" ) and it's probably looking as good as it ever did cosmetically. All the marks are low down where any reflection is from below so are much less visible anyway.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 15th September 2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 15th September 2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Try loosening and retightening both bolts.
Done, left it a couple of hours in between and checked that both sides moved fairly freely.
I've mainly used the wheel arch/wing to judge alignment as the strips under the headlights are flexible and deceptive.
Ended up moving the offside back a tiny bit as well and the nearside forwards; currently happy with it overall.

Used your "two white knuckles" torque setting on a 16" ratchet and hope for the best, though I've left the fog light covers off for now.
Those incidentally are okay-ish but not the best which reminded me I have a spare pair. I think they've been on loan to Neil for quite a while now.
At the time that was with the intention of scanning for possible 3D-printing of clones, but I'm not sure that got anywhere .......
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th September 2022, 03:47 PM

So now I'm looking at another part of the alignment, i.e. side to side. OCD strikes!
It's quite probably been like this for ages but I now can see a slight difference in the way it aligns with the wing panels, the nearside bumper sticks out slightly below the wing whereas the other doesn't.
Is there anything that can be adjusted there relatively easily?
Looking at the manual there seems to be some sort of adjustable bracket there that the end of the bumper presumably slides over or locates onto? See items 4 and 5 in the attached diagram.
There is also the comment without any diagram: "Remove clips (3x) in front region of wheelhousing liner and remove both nuts at wheel housing." (This is when removing the bumper.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontBumper1999on.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	28847  

Last edited by HPsauce; 20th September 2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 20th September 2022, 03:56 PM
Banned

It's the 3 spreader rivets and nuts holding the front part of the wheel arch liner. You have to take them off at both sides and also the front undertray clips/bolts/whatevers as they are attached to the bumper.
Old 20th September 2022, 04:23 PM

Okay thanks, I understand that you have to disconnect the undertray and arch liners from the bumper to fully remove it, but I (hopefully) don't want to do that.
I'm just looking to adjust slightly sideways where it meets the wing panel, if possible.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:17 PM

There's no adjustment sideways, only up and down. They spread sideways with age (don't we all?) as the brackets (5) and their counterpart on the bumper sag slightly. New brackets (from Tradition) help but the bumper side is not replaceable. It may be possible to heat both up and let them relax back in to their original position but I've not tried it.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:53 PM

Thanks MJ, now I know I'll stop worrying.
I never look at both sides at the same time anyway and on any other car it would be "perfectly aligned".
Old 24th September 2022, 10:07 PM

Slight digression from the original problem, but in the same area...
The lower part of the bumper, the dark grey plastic section, has a lot of scrapes, especially on the nearside front corner.
A common problem I suspect from kerbs, rocks, etc. especially on narrow roads.

Does anyone have a recommendation for cleaning it up to give a reasonably matched finish? I was thinking of just sanding it but that will probably give a brighter finish, unless there's a suitable surface treatment or cleaner.