A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A4/S4 B6

A4/S4 B6 2001-2005

Old 28th September 2019, 12:32 PM

Default A4 163 1.8t oil leak

So the A4 has a major oil leak, drivers side of the engine. Leak is significant and there is oil everywhere. Any common issues on this side of the engine. 1
8t 163 bhp engine
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 28th September 2019, 02:08 PM

Cam cover gasket usually. Blast it with brake cleaner and see where the oil reappears
Old 28th September 2019, 02:43 PM

MJ this is quiet a bad leak, I've been under the car and it was dripping oil whilst me and the mechanic were underneath. There is no oil on the top of the exhaust manifold, wherever its coming from is underneath that.

Now I've been through every piece of paperwork this car came with, and there is a lot. Buried in there is a receipt from 19/7/2019 at 88751 miles (Just over 90K on clock now) which says.

Rectify coolant and oil leak with the following parts list and price, but no part numbers.

Gasket £39.71
Oil Pipe £126.48
Hose £40.96
Vent Pipe £43.12
Housing £26.33
Antifreeze £3

5 hours labour.

Not sure if with the description and prices it's possible to work out what was replaced.

I've looked under the bonnet, and if you stand drivers side and look at the back of the engine there is a pipe and a lot of crud.

I've got some degreaser, so I am going to spray some all over down there then pressure wash off, with the goal to see if it's leaking from there. This pipe appears to run underneath the exhaust manifold somewhere.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 28th September 2019, 03:33 PM

And the plot thickens.

It would appear the same dealer sold the car to another person 10 days before me, and they had then returned it to the dealer. I am trying to establish communication with this person to find out why they returned it, but I have no phone number.

So if Phillip Jones from Pantmawr, Cardiff ever reads this please let me know. You bought the car I now have on the 14/9/19 and the registration number is BL04 YZX. I have the receipt from the garage in among the paperwork for your purchase.

Note to self, never buy a car without seeing it.

I have emailed the garage where I got it from, problem is I am now 150 miles away, I need to drive it 300 miles next week as I no longer have two cars. I have no choice but to drive it and monit the situation. I know that's my problem, being so far away. Lets see what they come back with, I did pay 1/4 purchase price on Credit card.

And to think I took it in for them to check the brakes as one wheel has sticky slider pins. Other issues discovered.

2x Tyres, I knew about these anyway as they were advisories on the MOT.

Both rear coil springs are broken at the last coil, and have been for some time based on the corrosion of the exposed surface of the remaining spring.

Offside rear shock absorber is weak.

Last edited by mannyo; 28th September 2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 28th September 2019, 04:01 PM

Well the main oil and coolant things on that side are all for the turbo. From that description it could well be cam cover gasket, turbo oil / coolant pipework, and possibly the coolant flange on the back of the head which is a common issue.

Have you tried Facebook for Philip Jones of Pantamawr? Maybe look for a local community group and see if anyone knows him?
Old 28th September 2019, 08:11 PM

Thanks for that MJ

So I've sprayed loads of degreaser down the back of the engine and rinsed it off with a watering can, repeating a number of times.

Not counting my chickens, but I believe the leak may already be fixed by the previous repair. I've taken a photo and will drive it again tomorrow and see if anything happens down there but I could not see any fresh oil anyway.

Now bare with me.

Today has been humid, so with the A/C on the system would have had to work hard to remove the moisture from the air. I think what we were seeing dripping was the AC doing its thing, but picking up some of this previously leaked oil and dropping it on the floor.

Why do I think that, well the car has spent 12 hours parked on my mums driveway, and there should be a significant amount of oil based on the earlier drip rate, on the drive but there isn't, in fact I dont think there is any really visible oil at all, and earlier I reversed out the concrete floor parking space down in Tesco and what was under the car looked very watery.

That and the oil level is still on max having driven more than 200 miles since getting the car.

So hopefully it's just the sticking brake sliding pins on the offside front and the rear springs that need attention.