A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th February 2016, 12:24 PM

Default Springtime dehumidification - and the rest...

Right, now that the sun has started to shine (occasionally), and the temperature is showing signs of creeping upwards, a man's thoughts - well mine anyway - should be turning to getting his '8 ready for the spring and summer.

In my case, as well as the inevitable MOT (in 10 days time), that means sorting out the troubles caused by the blocked aircon drains, and associated consequences. This year I've had some secondary signs of damp - incipient, but relatively minor, signs of mould around the rubber door seals, though nowhere near as serious as Mike's - so my plan at the moment is as follows.

Step 1 - Carpets out, windows open (weather permitting), and towel drying the condensation from the aircon overflow to the carpets - front and rear,

Step 2 - Gel packs into the car for the next few days to dry out any remaining moisture,

Step 3 - Wash down affected surfaces with white vinegar, and follow-up with Woolies leather protector,

Step 4 - Unblock aircon drains (at/around same time as step 3..),

Step 5 - MOT,

Step 6 - Take the car for a road trip

Obviously the aircon issue (and solution options, including the recent posts on Botang's hole) are well documented on here. Anyone got any views on the use of white vinegar/alternative for cleansing of at risk/affected surfaces from mould?
Old 10th February 2016, 01:16 PM

Have you looked at the forecast? Manchester is forecast snow on Saturday and -2˚c on monday.
Old 10th February 2016, 01:29 PM

I wouldn't recommend using snow in place of white vinegar

I've never used vinegar so can't comment.
Carpets i have used a high foaming carpet shampoo, leather a damp cloth to remove the green mildew stuff and then over the top with the leather cleaner followed by conditioner i used Gliptone. I found a leather cleaning brush really helped agitate the leather at cleaning stage if you have dirty creases.

Bright yellow bus o love.