A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 23rd May 2017, 07:19 PM

Default Air con

The warmer weather has revealed the aircon is getting a little weak and not as chilly as it used to be. Can these be filled DIY? Is it professionals only system? Anyone know where the filling port (low pressure) is? I can see the high pressure is on the condenser.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids

Last edited by B@fink; 23rd May 2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Questions
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:37 PM

Low pressure in plenum chamber on the near side from central air intake.
Old 24th May 2017, 06:23 AM

Ok, I can see a pressure switch next to the air intake. Is it near that?

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 24th May 2017, 11:00 AM

I think so. In plenum chamber, in narrow slot between central air intake and box with ECUs.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:39 PM

In a tiny gap too small to fit an adult hand or the hose connectors... No idea how Audi charge these things up, unless they have a special adapter for them?

I ended up having to fill mine on the high side with the gas bottle in a bucket of hot water It took a while, but worked ok.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:34 PM

I'm getting mine re-charged at A8 Parts on the meet weekend - if any of you guys think you might want to have yours done there that are going then I advise you to call and book a slot for the Sunday

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th May 2017, 03:54 PM

Groupon usually have some good deals for air con recharge, had my oldest's done for £19, which is less than half the price for the kit from Halfrauds.

I know.. I know..

Old 26th May 2017, 03:54 PM

Mine is leaking too, one year after having it recharged at the local Audi dealer, it went back to blowing warm (or the temp of the outside air).
Stealer wants £79 I believe under the fixed price servicing scheme.
£19 sounds amazing!
Old 26th May 2017, 04:10 PM

That's a great idea to re-fill at A8Parts if you are going to the annual meat or if you are close by anyway as you can be sure they are familiar with the car.

You can buy DIY refill kits but I would not bother. I had one that was given to me by a friend. He bought it because his AC was not working so he thought he needed to refill it but it turned out it was faulty pressure sensor. I think it cost £40 for the can and £10 for the filler nozzle which is not that good value when you can get service at garage or mobile aircon man starting from £35 depending on garage and location. They do state on the can that it is good for up to 3 re-fills but there is 450g of gas in can and car systems contain somewhere between 400g on newer cars and up to 1000g on older cars so you could potentially need 2 cans on almost empty older car. Also they do have oil added in cans and you need to shake it during filling but I guess if you use it several times you will not get uniform mix at all times so could be adding too much or too little oil. And the only way to check fill state is by the pressure indicated on the gauge while filling on the low pressure side with engine running. But the pressure will vary a lot depending on temperature and not sure how reliable this method would be on newer cars that use constantly running compressor with variable pressure valve instead of older clutch switched compressor. And if you think you can can keep it and use later forget about it, the kit I was given was about 90% full when I got it but when I wanted to used it 4 years later all the gas had escaped from the can.

Proper garage kit will use vacuum to evacuate system, hold vacuum to check for leaks and then fill system with the correct amount of gas and oil using weight in grams instead of pressure to check amount. It will also filter and dry the old gas for re-use.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 26th May 2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 26th May 2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I'm getting mine re-charged at A8 Parts on the meet weekend - if any of you guys think you might want to have yours done there that are going then I advise you to call and book a slot for the Sunday
Is there any one in particular we should speak to about this Neil?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds