A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 27th November 2017, 07:26 PM

Default How to while away 24 hours in Glasgow?

One for our Scottish Clan I think......
Travel plans next spring mean that we (SWMBO and I) will probably arrive at Glasgow Airport on a Monday afternoon (with a fair bit of luggage) and stay overnight at one of the easily accessed airport hotels.
The next day we will have until about 3pm to while away until we have to connect with our ongoing surface travel arrangements, in the airport concourse. We will be eating very well that Tuesday evening so a posh lunch would be a waste.

What would people recommend to pass the time (evening and morning); we obviously don't want to lug our cases around with us?
Happy to use fast, reliable public transport to travel somewhere nearby and interesting for food, culture etc.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th November 2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 27th November 2017, 08:09 PM

Ask the hotel to store your luggage for a few hour and jump into a taxi for a 15 minute ride to this

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 27th November 2017, 08:38 PM

Looks interesting, thanks.
Just booked our flights, will now be arriving just before 5pm on the Monday. Decided to "lounge around" at Heathrow T5 and have lunch/drinks in the business class lounge there before catching the 3:10pm Airbus to Glesga.

Airport hotel was the first choice, but maybe one in town might be better, any recommendations? We don't have to be back on the airport (with bags) until 2:30pm/3pm Tuesday. Or we can go to Glasgow Central station at a similar time.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th November 2017, 09:31 PM

Last year we stayed here. Funky, friendly and right in the very centre. And surprisingly low priced.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...hotel-glasgow/

We booked a hop on, hop off tour bus that took us to most of the museums, galleries and sights. Can't recall which company but there's a good selection to choose from
Old 27th November 2017, 09:31 PM

Update: After careful thought we've decide a city centre hotel would be a better choice as we have the option of ongoing travel connections at the Central Station.
This looks very convenient: https://www.phcompany.com/principal/...central-hotel/

Thanks Nick, the Z hotel looks fun, but probably more for a short city break than an overnighter "in transit".

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th November 2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 28th November 2017, 10:47 AM

10 out of 10 for the hotel !
Old 28th November 2017, 02:08 PM

Welcome to the city of culture!
For a cultural tour I would suggest:
1. The Kelvingrove Art Gallery andMuseum for paintings, (they have the Salvador Dali painting "Christ of St John on the Cross" which even as an unbeliever, is truly stunning in the flesh; the "Glasgow Boys" and many outstanding others) plus lots of other museum type stuff - Spitfire, Dinosaurs! (some stuff loaned from the Burrel Collection whilst the latter is undergoing refurb).
2. The Hunterian Art Gallery and Museum (right in city centre) house collections of, amongst other things, CR Mackintosh work. (see The Macintosh House).
3. Gallery of Modern Art (what it says on the tin).
4. The Peoples Palace - collection of objects, photos etc of how Glaswegians lived, worked and played. (Billy Connolly's big Banana Boots included!)
4. The Riverside Museum is worth a visit (used to be the Transport Museum) but has been subject to modern practice of arranging things for people with ADHD. i.e. there is no theme such that you could follow through the development of the railway locomotive or ship building industry in Glasgow. Stuff is just presented out of any context alongside other random stuff. The "Glenlee" ( a large barque) is good.

Take tea in the Willow Tea Rooms in city centre (aka Miss Cranstons tea room) - all things CR Macintosh.

Some good pubs and restaurants in the Merchant City - too many to list.

If you are after other recommends just ask
Old 28th November 2017, 02:15 PM

Thanks David, a good list there.

We're only passing through so will have Monday evening and Tuesday morning/lunchtime up to about 1pm. What would you prioritise?

I'd guess most "cultural" venues will be closed in the evening anyway, especially on a Monday, but maybe pub/restaurant/club/theatre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
10 out of 10 for the hotel !
Which one and why?
Old 28th November 2017, 02:38 PM

Well, on the evening you can check out whats on at the Concert Hall (dont know what dates you are thinking of here - Celtic Connections 18th Jan - 4th Feb) (nothing to do with fitba' ). Or look at the multiplex Cineworld Cinema (both the Concert Hall and cinema at the top of Buchanan St). Or saunter in Merchant's City for a meal/drink (dont know enough to recommend anywhere particular).
Tuesday, I would say the Kelvingrove (take the tube aka "the clockwork Orange" or the Hunterian - a (fair) walk away from the hotel/Central station.
Old 28th November 2017, 05:11 PM

My tuppence worth to add to the already excellent list/suggestions above (as a native, ex-pat, and more-than-regular visitor/tourist...).

Firstly, I think Miss Cranston's is currently closed for refurbishment (or was a few weeks ago..). An alternative MacIntosh fix (as his Art School is also closed to visitors, post-fire) would be the House for an Art Lover in Bellahouston Park - excellent tours, but a bit out of the way if you're not in a car - I think Ibrox is the closest tube station, from memory.

You said "Spring" so I think you'll be arriving after Celtic Connections (as mentioned by David...) is on, but if not, then here's the link to the festival programme - http://www.celticconnections.com/eve...s/default.aspx (I've just booked for several of these!)

As you're only there overnight for one night, I'd suggest you consider stopping in the West End, rather than the city centre ('cos you might not do the latter justice in one night...) That would give you access to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the Hunterian, both of which - as mentioned - are excellent.

There's also lots of other stuff to do in the West End, with good restaurants and local pubs, etc. For example at Oran Mor - a converted church: https://oran-mor.co.uk - you can eat in the restaurant, drink in the excellent bar, listen to live music, or possibly do their "Play, Pie, and a Pint" for a tenner. Other similar venues within walking distance of Byres Road - the West End hub road - are Cottiers (also restaurant/bar/music venue) or Websters (same).

Whilst in the West End, you've also got the excellent Ashton Lane, full of excellent restaurants (The Ubiquitous Chip is highly rated, and has attached bars, including a (heated!) rooftop one, though my favourite in the Hanoi Bike Shop - https://hanoibikeshop.co.uk) and loads of very good bars (not rough!), which are very popular with students and academics/arty types, and and arty cinema too. Slightly further away, but only a £5 taxi ride, there's a further large choice of very good restaurants in Finnieston.

If you do decide on the West End, I'd recommend the Heritage Hotel, a very good value, friendly and cosy townhouse-style hotel. No frills, but excellent staff and very comfortable and less than 5 minutes from most of the above. Oran Mor has also opened a similar hotel on the same block, The Alfred, but I'm not sure what that's like, as I've not stayed there.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.