A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 18th August 2012, 05:30 AM

Default FL Foglight mod, run independent of park lights and headlights, using factory fog swi

Well, I figured out how to operate the fog lights off the stock switch while remaining independent of the headlight switch. I've seen numerous discussions about this, and the consensus seems to have been that either the parking lights would need to be illuminated, or an additional switch would be needed.That isn't the case. The only functionality I've lost is the auto-off provided when the high beams light. Frankly, I don't consider that much of a loss. While I understand that there are jurisdictions in which that is illegal, I want the most lighting I can have at night, and once my xenon-plus lamps arrive from Germany, I won't have too many beams illuminated anyway.

In order to make this all work correctly, I cut the wire running to pin 17 on the foglight control module. I then had switched 12v run to that pin instead (originally it was fed via the headlight switch). I removed the feed to pin 15 and replaced it with switched 12v. In removed the feed to pin 12 and did not replace it (that killed the lights when the high beams operated before, but with a constant feed to pin 15, any power to pin 12 would have been problematic).a

I'm now using the feed off the headlights that went to pin 17 to wire up a relay that'll run some ambient interior lighting, once that's completed I'll have info on that as well.

Old 18th August 2012, 07:19 AM

>> I want the most lighting I can have at night

Though looking great from outside as car decorative feature, in my experience, fog lights are not designed to provide any 'proper light'. They will only add some value 5-10 meters in front, which is not where I need extra light. I don't know who designs this stuff or perhaps something is wrong with my eyes

The only option with 'more light in right place' than my xenon pluses is when I switch to high beam. But that, of course, doesn't help drivers ahead of me.

And yes, Xenon Pluses are just great. I've seen brand new sets available on German eBay for under 1000 euros recently. You will love them!

P.S. I like yellow colour of your foglights. Did you put any specific bulbs there?

Last edited by notorious; 18th August 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
in my experience, fog lights are not designed to provide any 'proper light'. They will only add some value 5-10 meters in front, which is not where I need extra light.
Funnily enough I do and I use them - technically illegally I guess in specific non-fog situations.
We have a lot of narrow single-track roads with ill-defined and potholed edges near us.
I find foglights very useful for illuminating those edges and avoiding problems.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th August 2012, 08:55 AM

One of the guys in Germany converted his foglights to LED DRL's using the conventional fog lights which looked really OEM - the DRL's are called "devils eyes" - link HERE I think it looks great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE1.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	4549   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE2.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	4550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE3.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	4551   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE4.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4552   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE5.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	4553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE6.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	4554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE7.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	4555   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE8.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	4556   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE91.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	4557   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE92.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	4558  

Name:	DE93.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	4559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE94.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	4560   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE95.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	4561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE96.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	4562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE97.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	4563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE98.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	4564   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE99.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	4565  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 18th August 2012, 09:06 AM

Neil, interestingly, I have completely different OEM fog lights. Perhaps because my car is 2002. My fog lights are without 'lens', with normal H7 lamp I think and classic reflector. They are still manufactured by Valeo though. I also have one large grill and not the split grill.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:09 AM

Yes thats the later one Sergey - in fact there are even two versions of the earlier sealed fog light unit (probably PF and Early FL) - I have the Early FL version on mine but still with the split grilles

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FOG LAMPS.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	4566  

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 18th August 2012, 09:45 AM

The previous owner of my (PF) S8 did something even weirder.
Remember in them the foglights are in the main headlamp cluster.......

He adjusted the headlights upwards (a lot!) so that the foglights were used as his dipped beam. Then he used the (dipped) Xenons as his main beam.
The rather pitiful main-beam filament bulbs he never used.

He was driving it much of the time on the continent anyway, not sure how relevant that was to anything. Presumably at MOT time he just put it all back temporarily to UK spec.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th August 2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Neil, interestingly, I have completely different OEM fog lights. Perhaps because my car is 2002. My fog lights are without 'lens', with normal H7 lamp I think and classic reflector. They are still manufactured by Valeo though. I also have one large grill and not the split grill.
Same, and that projector was never available here. Any further details? I was going to retrofit a projector (Hella Micro DE) into mine, but if an OE solution already exists, well then that's what I want.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:16 PM

Camaro,

Audi OEM part numbers: 8D0941699B / 8D0941700B
Can be ordered from Valeo too. Part numbers: 087544 / 087545

These fog light come with H7 bulb and here's how they look like:

http://www.karosserieteileshop24.de/...01::60062.html

They were installed on late A8 D2s and A4 B5s.

I'm not sure, but maybe you'll have to buy new grills (non-split ones) and new lower bumper skirt if you want to retrofit them to older A8 D2. This need to be investigated with ETKA.

There's also Hella's kit on the market that should fit tip top. Hella is usually higher quality than Valeo, which Audi decided to use as OEM fog lamps supplier for D2 for some strange reason. Hella's part numbers: 1N0 010 845-011 / 1N0 010 845-021

Check out Hella catalog:

http://cat.hella.com/web/public/$configId/hella/$language/en/$country/GB/$showResult/0/$classification/100000/$category/101340/$catalogue/2/$objectType/PR/$object/1N0%2B010%2B845-011_289/$productCard/objectTypeParameters/index.xhtml

Last edited by notorious; 18th August 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:37 PM

its worth doing a search on ebay on the Valeo product codes - I picked up 2 brand new fog lights in their boxes for about half the Audi price last year - I think about £44.00 each vs nearly £100