A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 7th January 2015, 08:04 PM

Default Transmission clunk.

I'm getting a pronounced clunk from the gearbox and it always happens at very slow speeds, i.e. walking speed, when I'm braking prior to stopping. It doesn't happen all the time and gear change during driving is normal. When I engage drive or reverse there can be a clunk as well. This happens more often. A scan has revealed the torque converter clutch is stuck in the off position. Is this the cause and what can be done? Thanks.
2001 D2 S8. Volcano black. KW Variant 1 coilovers. EBC Turbo grooved discs with Yellow Stuff pads. 19 inch R8 replica wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Super Sport. In the UK, 1990 Audi 90 2.3 20v Quattro with just 65,000 on the clock and in mint condition.
Old 11th January 2015, 09:14 AM

the torque converter wouldn't have anything to do with that clunk but with some slippage you'd feel when in 5th gear at 50mph you'd push the throttle and then the rpm would jump and no speed increment would be noticed or with the GB going from 5th to 4th and then back to 5th, again due to the torque converter not locking up.

the clunk could even be some worn differential bush or prop-shaft center bearing.
Old 1st February 2015, 11:12 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm not getting any issues as you have described, i.e. there is no slipping and the box behaves very well during normal driving. It's just that this clunk would appear to be coming from the gearbox. As you would have it everything has been behaving quite normally recently with no mysterious low speed clunk. There is still a clunk when engaging drive or reverse and to be honest I never thought of either the diff or propshaft. As regards the latter I'm not convinced its this as this was replaced a couple of years ago. Is there any way I can check the diff?
2001 D2 S8. Volcano black. KW Variant 1 coilovers. EBC Turbo grooved discs with Yellow Stuff pads. 19 inch R8 replica wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Super Sport. In the UK, 1990 Audi 90 2.3 20v Quattro with just 65,000 on the clock and in mint condition.