A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 15th January 2015, 10:26 AM

Default Locked OSF Brake!

All has been quite well with my A8 D2, which I purchased in November 2013, apart from a couple of niggles, and a new front brake calliper and suspension arms fitted in November 2014.

Yesterday something more dramatic happened; the OSF brake is locked on.

All was working well until I went out in the snow and ice and enjoyed a little bit of spirited driving, and thus the ABS and TCS were in action a few times. All was well until the ABS was activated as I approached a junction and then made left turn to stop at a garage. After restarting to leave the garage, the car felt as though a very effective parking brake was on - which it wasn't.

Lifting off the throttle made the car lose speed very rapidly and as I reached home about 2 miles away, there was smoke from a very, very hot OSF brake.

The NSF brake calliper was replaced as the piston was corroded, but it never fully locked. Up until yesterday there was no sign of sticking on the OSF brake. The car has only a genuine 73K miles on it and until the recent calliper, all the components on it as it left the factory.

I am wondering if the ABS unit may have a jammed valve, given that until yesterday, my usual driving style means I can't ever recall the ABS of TCS having been previously activated!

There are no warning lights illuminated.

I have a fully-blown VCDS to interrogate the car's systems, and whilst I will be doing this later today when the temperature rises, I wonder if anyone else has had this situation?

TIA

Mark
Old 15th January 2015, 10:41 AM

I doubt ABS - if the controller was knackered it'd throw a warning light on the dash and deactivate the system. Sounds like the caliper has cried enough - possibly if it looked OK when the other side was changed, now the pads are worn down some more they may be more corroded looking?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th January 2015, 11:52 AM

The caliper was my first thought, but as it stuck so suddenly, thoughts of something more complicated arose!

A caliper is an easy, and compared to an ABS pump, relatively inexpensive fix.

Here's hoping...

Any suggestions on the best source for a reman. or new caliper. IIRC the last remanufactured one was c. £130.
Old 15th January 2015, 12:56 PM

Stuck piston(s) in caliper is my bet too. Especially when driving in mucky, salty crud - that may have been the last straw.
Old 15th January 2015, 01:12 PM

Yeah definitely the piston stuck or caliper not free to float, I had a bike to take for an MOT years back and on the way there it started to slow down, so I gave it more throttle, and more and more then bang front wheel locked solid and I binned the bike.

Boss wasn't happy that I chucked a customers bike down the road but **** happens, that was because of a sticky piston, disc heated up, which makes it expand then it locked solid.

Old 1st February 2015, 02:19 PM

The remanufactured calliper eventually arrived and has been fitted, but the brake still binding, albeit not as badly, but enough to get very hot.

Also, the NSR calliper is sticking, which leads me to think there's something afoot with that split braking circuit.

It frees occassionally after a dose of ABS/TCS activity. There's also an accompanying clunk from the front. After another operation of the ABS/TCS, the brakes appear to stick again.

It's intermittent.

No warning lights shown however.

My thoughts are turning towards a sticking valve in he ABS unit?
Old 1st February 2015, 02:26 PM

Well that's a first to hear brakes behaving like that but if you suspect it is indeed applying brakes on the circuit you can prove it by cracking the bleed nipple when the fault is present and see if their is high pressure in the calipers.

Old 4th February 2015, 06:22 PM

Picked-up the car up yesterday from my friendly local mechanic and the car is OK, but who knows why as he could not get the fault to occur.

Today we had a good helping of snow and I took the car out for a try; irrespective of the snow, it still feels as though it is 'dragging' a little...

Anyhoo, on some heavy snow the TCS disappeared - 310 bhp on slippy stuff is fun though - and the ABS and TCS warning lights appeared. Arriving home I switched off the car, restarted and the warning lights we're off and TCS and ABS were operational again.

I suspect my replaced front caliper was OK and the culprit is a sticking valve in the ABS unit or a dodgy master cylinder.

More investigative work yo follow...
Old 4th February 2015, 07:54 PM

Have you ever had any issues with blocked scuttle drains or water in the car? The brake abs ECU is located under the main engine ECU in a D2 in the central scuttle area on the passenger side so it's always possible it's causing issues if it's been dunked in water at all

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 6th February 2015, 06:50 PM

Interesting.

I did take out the front mats a few weeks ago to install a Dension iPod interface and noticed considerable water staining of the wooden panel in the footwell. This got me to thinking there might gave been some blocked drains in the past.

I will look further...

Last edited by Alluminio; 6th February 2015 at 06:56 PM.