A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 29th December 2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Arrived home safe and sound Saturday lunchtime. Did two local jobs, and even managed to attend today's (Sunday) Xmas A8 meet at the Leopard.
slightly back on topic
you could buy one of these and cut off the cig adapter. then wire it into the fuse adapter.
much smaller than other suggestions. i was planning on gutting the cig lighter internals but for the sake of a few quid this would be nice. or you could make your own with some bits from maplins

http://www.eeweb.com/blog/circuit_pr...tage-regulator
Old 29th December 2014, 09:19 PM

Nice one Andy,
The two items I have wired to my home made piggyback are both 12 volt so this time I do not need a volt dropper.
I am filing this for future reference, because I am sure I'll need to build one sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the info.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 17th January 2016, 11:18 AM

Reviving this thread as I have just installed a Nextbase 402. Its worth mentioning that Nextbase sell a hardwire kit ((£14) that includes the 12/5V transformer, piggyback fuse holder (2 in fact as one is for mini ATM fuse holders), ferrite suppressor and plenty of cable.

One problem is that the 402 is GPS capable but the heated screen effectively shields the unit from the signal and it wont synch with the satellites. (It works OK on my motorhome).
Is there any way of getting a feed from the RNS-D satnav aerial?
Old 17th January 2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
One problem is that the 402 is GPS capable but the heated screen effectively shields the unit from the signal and it wont synch with the satellites.
Odd that it isn't syncing with the satellites. I have the heated windscreen as well, and since you know that your unit works in your motorhome, I'm wondering if it's the position on the windscreen. If you look at the image I posted at the very start, I have the camera mounted right at the top of the windscreen. I keep meaning to move it down an inch or two, as the tint dulls the nighttime footage. I can't honestly say that mine gets 100% GPS signal, but there are always stacks of GPS data files.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th January 2016, 12:08 PM

Thanks Sean,
Due to the rubber sucker mount that comes with it, it is sited just below the tint and project slightly below the mirror too. I'll monitor it and see how it does.
In fact I'll take it ona run in the snow this pm. There's always a good excuse to drive!
Old 17th January 2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Reviving this thread as I have just installed a Nextbase 402.
I have the same model.

As a tip remove it so it's not left in the car when not in use. Over the summer SWMBO parked in direct sunlight while at work. 9 hours of cooking was too much for it's internal battery.... Thankfully Amazon exchanged it.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 17th January 2016, 07:29 PM

Despite a longish run the dashcam never achieved lock with GPS satellites and there was no file or positional speed info when put through the playback software. Any suggestions?
Old 17th January 2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Despite a longish run the dashcam never achieved lock with GPS satellites and there was no file or positional speed info when put through the playback software. Any suggestions?
I wonder if the heating element (or whatever) doesn't up into the tinted area. It's about the only thing I can think of, since you know it works in another vehicle. That at least proves it isn't faulty. I'll see if I can dig out the box for mine, as it had additional sticky pads. I'll then mount it below the tint and see if I still get a GPS lock. Might take a day or two though.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th January 2016, 07:38 AM

Thanks Sean that'll be useful. I'll do the opposite.
Old 26th January 2016, 10:50 AM

I get satellite lock with the unit outside the car but cannot get it in the car. I know that a standalone tomtom i had would never achieve lock either. So I am back to the question of whether its possible to share the GPS aerial feed for the inbuilt satnav. Anyone?