A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 13th January 2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD3 View Post
Mine started doing that before I had to replace the battery.

How old is yours?
Less than 1 year old, but I do know I have a persistent current drain caused by faulty keyless door handles.

It's been ok since as well, always showing 100% when I get in the car.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 13th January 2015, 12:58 PM

What's your issue with the door handles?
The normal one that they don't work?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 13th January 2015, 08:39 PM

The touch sensors on 2 doors report intermittent short to ground, so the car never fully goes to sleep and is always looking for the key as it thinks someone is holding the door handle. Only seems to be an issue in Winter, in the summer all the handles work properly for some reason.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 14th January 2015, 07:06 AM

Water getting in to the handles I suspect.
I got a similar issue with only half of the half of the handles working at the same time.

Have you done a drain test on the car?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:21 AM

Would not know where to start, but I do know the current draw is not that high. If I leave the car for a week the battery is usually down around the 40% mark, although its very rarely left more than a day or two.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Like this.

My battery started off like that at first and then we had a cold spell couple of months back and it killed it.
Old 31st January 2015, 08:23 PM

Well the car has been fine since, no issues with the battery despite several cold nights and being left for 48 hours at one point.

My D3 was today almost written off today, would have been had it not been for my reaction. Driving through town, went through a set of lights I've gone through regularly for the last 5 years, they were green of course. Noticed out the corner of my eye, a Picasso had gone through the red on my left, quick swerve to the right. I have no idea how the Picasso missed the rear quarter panel, it must of been mm's away, I was ready to hear the dreaded but nothing. As I went up the hill, looked in the mirror and another car drove round the front of the picasso as it reversed back across the stop line.

The D3 maybe heavy, but it can react quickly if need be.
Old 8th June 2015, 08:17 AM

Time for a quick update as I have now owned the D3 for 18 months.

I bought the car at the start of December 2013 with 129K miles on it, she now has 142K miles showing.

Apart from the minor issue with the air suspension at the start of my ownership the car has been trouble free. Sure she has some strange quirks, but they are not causing any issues with the actual running of the car.

Recently retrofitted AMI which has at last removed the reliance for constantly burning CDs and placing them in the changer.

What's next for the D3, well she is off to France for 2 weeks at the end of June and then will need to be MOT'd in July.

Issues remaining.

Still broken are the manifold flaps, one day I may get around to getting that sorted.

The slight whine from the back of the car remains, has not got any worse or better even after having the wheel bearing replaced on that side. I know its not the tyres either, since the noise was present before replacing all four.

The air recirculation flap motor under the bonnet still needs replacing, its stuck in the open position so you always get fresh air regardless of the recirculation setting.
Old 19th June 2015, 03:18 PM

The old girl is getting a little TLC, yesterday I replaced the pollen filter with a new Activated Charcoal one. Tomorrow I am replacing the air filter, I know its been in there quiet some time and the last time I was in the airbox in the winter it was quiet mucky. Nothing wrong with the car, just some preventative maintenance before a journey to France for 2 weeks in the car.
Old 19th June 2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
The slight whine from the back of the car remains, has not got any worse or better even after having the wheel bearing replaced on that side. I know its not the tyres either, since the noise was present before replacing all four.

The air recirculation flap motor under the bonnet still needs replacing, its stuck in the open position so you always get fresh air regardless of the recirculation setting.
Have you looked at the rear diff?

sure it's not a diff whine?