A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 17th February 2017, 04:21 PM

Default Can the TCU learning be reset this way?

I've just seen a thread on another forum that describes a procedure for a C5 RS6 that supposedly resets what the TCU has learnt and has (for the poster) improved driveability/smoothness.

Given the D2 has the same 5HP24A gearbox is this likely to be relevant to us?

This is what was posted:
Quote:
I've tried the procedure to reset the tcu or throttle stuff or what ever it does, and its working indeed.
Gear changes are more smooth now.

The procedure is as follows (I've seen 2 variants):

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for 20 or more seconds.
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal. Remove key.

Or

1. press the accelerator to the floor so it presses down the kickdown and keep it down
2. key in the ignition, turn the ignition to stage 2 ( all the dash lights up )
3. DONT START IT ... just leave it there whilst you have the pedal to the floor
4. wait a while ( 30seconds or longer I think )
5. ignition off, key out, pedal up.

Seems to reset what the box has learned over the years.....?
Reset the adaptive gearbox.....?

Or what ever it does, but for me it was noticeable.....
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th February 2017, 07:11 PM

But if what it has learnt over that time is the way that YOU drive then it surely will just be reflecting that and, unless, of course, you have seen the errors of your ways and are now driving like a pensioner on Tamezepan it will just do the same again.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:58 PM

Rather than resetting the DSP, I wonder if this is resetting the shift-point adaptations? That would definitely have an effect on how it feels as it will re-learn where the clutch packs bite and how the valve body behaves. Unplugging either the TCU, or the multi-plug from the gearbox, for 30 minutes (IIRC) has the same effect.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:00 PM

That makes more sense; can anyone confirms it's an option?
Or is there a "reset" available via VCDS?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th February 2017, 08:26 PM

Not according to Elsawin - all that says on it is to disconnect either the multi-plug or battery for 15 minutes.
Old 19th February 2017, 08:40 PM

Haven't looked in there for a while, but IIRC the TCU is at the top of the pile in the ECU box under the bonnet?
Old 19th February 2017, 09:38 PM

Can't remember, but Elsawin means the plug from the gearbox rather than the TCU although I suspect it would have the same effect.
Old 20th February 2017, 12:12 PM

I've tried the pedal reset procedure in the D2 S8 and it did behave different. I think it resets the gearchange. For example, the car had been driven energetically previously and all the shift points were quite high, even if driven carefully. After doing the pedal reset it did behave very differently.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 20th February 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
I've tried the pedal reset procedure in the D2 S8 and it did behave different.
Interesting, do you recall what procedure you used exactly?

I'm thinking that having had various "issues" with mine this would be a useful thing to do.
Old 20th February 2017, 12:44 PM

Instead of holding the pedal down, I found a guide which said to switch on the ignition without starting, then over a period of 20-30 seconds, slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, and then release over a period of 20-30 seconds in the same way. I'm not sure what confirmation the car is supposed to give apart from the different driving characteristics.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.