A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 18th May 2017, 07:43 AM

As far as I can see ArgDub's me7 95040 eeprom tool v1.31 is for reading ECU not immobiliser, are the ECU and immobiliser PIN's not different? Or is the immo PIN also copied and stored in ECU as well?

Also not all immo 3 are the same. Many cheap tools will generate PIN for other cars with immo3 like A6 or Golf but not for petrol A8 from 1999.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 18th May 2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 18th May 2017, 09:13 AM

It is a tool designed specifically for Immo3 in the instrument cluster. That is the 95040 EEPROM.
Google it and read the Nofarious Motorsport post on "95040Tool - Please test".

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 4th June 2017, 06:07 PM

keep us posted on this and who did work for you?

thanks
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 4th June 2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS6 View Post
keep us posted on this and who did work for you?

thanks
Hi. I was hoping to have given an "all fixed" update by now, but things haven't gone smoothly unfortunately....The replacement cluster which was sold as being "tested and in full working order" has been fitted and subsequently found to have the same issue as the original cluster, but worse, with the two lower LCDs being unreadable (faded) all of the time The chips have been swapped so I'm stuck with it unless I pay another £90 to have it swapped back to the original.
I can get a refund for the replacement cluster, but I'm still at least £90 out of pocket for the chip swap. I'm now trying to decide whether it's worth sending the replacement cluster to BBA reman (as I did with the original) for potential repair. Having spoken to them they don't hold out much hope to be able to fix it, but they won't be able to tell until they actually test it. Or, buy yet another cluster, risking the same issue yet again. Or, just give up and live with what is a small, but irritating faded LCD issue.
Urhhh!
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :-)
Old 6th June 2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph2.5pi View Post
Or, buy yet another cluster, risking the same issue yet again.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :-)
Do you have access to VCDS? If you do, and do consider buying another cluster, you can connect up the replacement cluster and then use VCDS to run some tests on the cluster. It does things like needle sweeps, seatbelt warning, all the warning lights and most importantly a LCD test. It basically switches on all the pixels in the LCDs, and if they are all working should give a solid block of colour. It will not however help identify the fading pixels issue.

Having said that, I suppose you could try and simulate the effect of a build up of heat, but you'd either need to pre-heat the car before swapping the clusters, or blast a hairdryer at the back of cluster. At least that way, I suppose you could then return it as not working 100%.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th June 2017, 04:02 PM

Just wondering if this could be a problem on the car side rather than the cluster? Not sure if this is even possible though.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 6th June 2017, 04:07 PM

Cannot see it being fault in the rest of car. Also not sure if it will work properly if you put another cluster in and then original back again. I think I have heard before that you will need to pair immobilizer to ECU again.

8 history:
Old 6th June 2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Also not sure if it will work properly if you put another cluster in and then original back again. I think I have heard before that you will need to pair immobilizer to ECU again.
I know it's possible to do it on a FL D2, as when I bought the replacement one for mine, I had intended to do the swap myself, until I realised I couldn't get the relevant codes from the original cluster. All I did was plug in the replacement, switch the ignition on, and use VCDS. Since I knew it wouldn't start with the replacement cluster, I didn't even try. Once I confirmed that everything seemed fine, I put the original one back in, and it started first time.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th June 2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I know it's possible to do it on a FL D2, as when I bought the replacement one for mine, I had intended to do the swap myself, until I realised I couldn't get the relevant codes from the original cluster. All I did was plug in the replacement, switch the ignition on, and use VCDS. Since I knew it wouldn't start with the replacement cluster, I didn't even try. Once I confirmed that everything seemed fine, I put the original one back in, and it started first time.
Good to know, I am not sure if it would make difference if you tried to start it. It's just something I heard, no experience myself.

8 history: