A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 26th April 2017, 07:50 PM

Default Grim D2 S8 Brakes...

So my handbrake has 4 clicks (and more if you want it to hold the car in place) and shoddy judder under braking at motorway speeds.

My assumption was that it was always a faulty adjuster on the rear calliper.

When you would lift off the brakes gently from a standstill, you could hear the fronts dis-engage at different times, reinforcing the idea that an adjuster was away, and the brake balance was off - something I have dealt with on multiple old Audi's.

So the rear (drivers side) calliper off and the attached shows it's sorry state.

And the front brake had far heavier worn pads than the other side, and of course there's a warped disk somewhere in amongst it all. (Assuming that the D2's are the same opposing 2 circuit brake setup as all old Audi's) then it all adds up.

New pads, skimmed disks are the future for me.

The rear callipers are en-route to Bigg Red to make them wonderful again. Could fix them myself for a fraction of the price, but getting them done properly will mean another 100k without worrying about them.

Figured I'd post a wee bit about this if it helps anyone else. Simple fundamental stuff for most mechanics, but for the guy keen with a spanner wanting to make sure their own motor is kept in top condition, this stuff can be handy!
Old 26th April 2017, 09:24 PM

Bigg Red did a great job on my rear calipers
Personnaly, I dont buy the thing about warped discs. I found the article by StopTech "Warped discs and Other myths" convincing and after experiencing long term issues of brake judder myself remain convinced that the source is normally brake imbalance (in my case from sticking front pads and rear caliper issues the same as yours) which can be exacerbated by worn control arms. I have just had the front calipers refurbed by Addiction motorsport (recommended by bigg Red as the latter dont refurb Brembos) and with new Brembo pads, new Ferodo discs I now have no shudder at all.
The new discs were required as the sticking pads had badly ridged the disc.

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...nd-other-myths
Old 27th April 2017, 11:08 PM

I have seen that article before but the movement of the steering even at low speed and the uneven wear on the pads leads me to believe it is a wrapped disk. Not sure those disks will make it back on the car mind you. Trying to source a couple of replacement front disks for reasonable money.

The rear disks made me laugh, turns out they are the same as A4 fronts
Old 27th April 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4-Andy View Post
I have seen that article before but the movement of the steering even at low speed and the uneven wear on the pads leads me to believe it is a wrapped disk. Not sure those disks will make it back on the car mind you. Trying to source a couple of replacement front disks for reasonable money.
The ones on the car were OEM and were silly money IIRC. I looked at 8 pot Brembos but didn't trust the options for mounting brackets. Think there are Brembo drilled options available to use with standard calipers?

Quote:
The rear disks made me laugh, turns out they are the same as A4 fronts
Yep, Passat and A4 vented fronts (so cheap!)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 27th April 2017, 11:42 PM

The only drilled ones I could find didn't look particularly legit... I will have to dig harder over the holiday weekend. Will verify the originals are warped with a gauge first. Know someone who has one and rather handily have spacers that I can use to hold the disks in place on the hubs while I check :-)
Old 27th April 2017, 11:52 PM

Got these back from Bigg Red a few years back for my Cabrio (same setup as S2), they have been spot-on ever since, they work perfectly, and still look fresh after doing both the NC500 and a tour of Europe. Was impressed with their work, worth the money.

Have arranged to get the S8's done in black to match the Brembo's.
Old 27th April 2017, 11:54 PM

And of course the disks on the front of my cabrio are smaller than the disks on the rear of the S8

Last edited by B4-Andy; 27th April 2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 28th April 2017, 09:14 AM

The first time I saw a D2 S8 was in a dealership when I was buying parts for my Corrado. It was an FE in Avus with purple leather, which was enough in itself, but when I saw the rear brakes were bigger than the Corrado's fronts I was smitten

I have a problem with pad pickup causing an intermittent wobble on mine too, and vexingly I can't burn it off no matter how much I try so I'm going to have to replace discs and pads fairly soon too.

How many people would be interested in drilled / grooved discs for the FE? MTec do some good options but not for the FE. They might consider it if a bunch of us were interested
Old 28th April 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The first time I saw a D2 S8 was in a dealership when I was buying parts for my Corrado. It was an FE in Avus with purple leather, which was enough in itself, but when I saw the rear brakes were bigger than the Corrado's fronts I was smitten
Sounds a lot like mine... They weren't very common, unless of course they are

I am always paranoid about front disks, currently scouring the far flung corners of the web trying to source 2 Brembo disks, but it's not looking hopeful. Someone in Italy seems to have some but want too much cash. Might have to look at alternatives.
Old 29th April 2017, 08:28 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
How many people would be interested in drilled / grooved discs for the FE? MTec do some good options but not for the FE. They might consider it if a bunch of us were interested
I'd certainly be interested
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust