A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 2nd December 2015, 09:55 PM

Default Alternative to VAGCOM?

Just saw this post on the TT forum I frequent and thought someone here might already know about it or would be interested - not tried it yet but will look to get one.

To quote the guy who has one:

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd share my experience since I've seen a few people asking about VCDS (VAG-COM) and buying cheap copies on the net.

I've had VAG-COM for many, many years, but I use it with a 'dumb' cable. This means it works great with versions up to 409 (released in 2004), but nothing since then. While this is fine for our mk1 TTs, it isn't any use for the more modern full CAN cars . I recently bought a 2008 Passat (not a great move, but hey...) and found my version of VAG-COM will not work any more. Now I could shell out hundreds on a new interface and latest version of VCDS, but for what I use it for, that's way over the top.

What I really wanted was a simple solution for checking and clearing fault codes and doing a little coding. I have previously used Torque for Android, which is quite frankly, garbage. On my BMWs, I used an app called BMWhat (again Android), which is actually very good. I have been searching for something similar for VAG cars and came across OBDEleven http://obdeleven.com/

I've been using this for a couple of weeks and I have to say, for the casual user, it's even better than VCDS. It reads and clears faults, does live data logging, coding, adaption, basic settings, output tests, etc. And all this without having to carry a laptop around. It also stores a history of coding (by car!), so if you make a mistake, you have the original values to go back to. This alone is miles better than VAG-COM for me, where you are told to 'make a note' of you original values.
So far, I've done a few bits of coding on the Passat, like changing the colour scheme on the RNS510 and checking fault codes on the TT. All works perfectly.

All in all, I definitely recommend this over VCDS unless you are a real power user or garage owner. And the Pro version is only about £22.00! Massive bonus. One point though, it's Android only, so all you Apple sheep aren't covered :P

I'm happy to answer questions on this as buying from Latvia was a bit of a gamble for me, but it was a nice smooth and quick transaction.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 3rd December 2015, 07:03 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Thanks

Sounds good. And at just a little over 30 quid, it's worth a try.

Just ordered one
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 3rd December 2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Thanks

Sounds good. And at just a little over 30 quid, it's worth a try.

Just ordered one
No probs.
Hope it works out and let us no how you get on with it

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:10 AM

For apple phones I've been using a wifi (rather than bluetooth) OBD sender to plug into the port, and then there are many apps you can get. Iphones don't like bluetooth unless the sender is specifically designed as an iphone bluetooth sender as they use a different set of protocols apparently. The app i use for day to day stuff is called "EOBD-Facile" but there are many out there (I think others have used the "Torque" programme on android phones.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
For apple phones I've been using a wifi (rather than bluetooth) OBD sender to plug into the port, and then there are many apps you can get. Iphones don't like bluetooth unless the sender is specifically designed as an iphone bluetooth sender as they use a different set of protocols apparently. The app i use for day to day stuff is called "EOBD-Facile" but there are many out there (I think others have used the "Torque" programme on android phones.
I presently have one of these that works with Torque, etc:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NPAORC
(Note: If you use one of these, don't leave it plugged in. It sometimes prevents the car from starting if you do).

Torque is great, but yeah, a friend of mine (who is also unfortunate enough to own a few Apple products ) had to make do with WiFi and some other inferior Apps too.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:11 PM

I use something similiar with Torque, but the software is limited in what it can do (just engine) while this OBDeleven software can do a lot more(from what I have read)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 12th January 2016, 05:25 PM

Just picked one up via ebay £28 delivered seems an interesting gamble. While I may look at picking up a newer vagcom (D2 S8 was fine with ebay cable) when i get a D3, it's handy to have something like this in the glove compartment for use with your phone when away from home!

On my RX8 i had a nice Vgate one and a Nexus 7 tablet install. Torque Pro was surprisingly fun to have a display of how the car is running and ODB Doctor was handy for a basic check of how things were going!
Old 12th January 2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Just picked one up via ebay £28 delivered seems an interesting gamble. While I may look at picking up a newer vagcom (D2 S8 was fine with ebay cable) when i get a D3, it's handy to have something like this in the glove compartment for use with your phone when away from home!
Received mine a while ago. Only used it a few times, but it seems to work well.

As you say, handy for the glove box. Quick and easy way to check and reset fault codes.

Only slight issue for me so far was that, on a FL D2 at least, once you plug it in, it's difficulty to get back out. The sides are smooth/slippery and, because it sits completely in the recess, there's little to grab hold of. As a workaround, I took mine apart, drilled the case and added a cable tie as a grab handle.

I like how the app automatically scans for a VIN code, figures out which vehicle it's being used on, then adds a library image of the vehicle model to the page header.

For a moment I thought it'd somehow found an actual photo of my car! ...

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 12th January 2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 19th April 2016, 12:54 PM

I've had mine for a little while and I quite like it. Handy particularly for fault diagnosis as it has a little google icon and googles the fault for you. Quicker than firing up my net top and sits in the ash tray on my D3

I will say one of the first things you should do it pop off the white cover (it's clipped on and saves damaging the electrics) and drill a couple of holes in it and thread some wire to it....Or maybe epoxy a handle on it as being so small it can be a bugger to get out for the OBDC slot!

Don't think it will replace VCDS as the indepth tracking of values on a module with a decent screen is nice, but for casual fault finding, scanning modules or the odd tweak it's great. Much easier to use when looking at a car too i'd guess!

Lee
Old 19th April 2016, 04:03 PM

I might see if this works with my BlackBerry Z30. I've installed the app already which seems good, but just need the dongle. I like that it's Bluetooth as the wire can get in the way, but it would have saved some money if it worked with the VAG-COM cable (or similar) through the micro USB connection.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)