A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 8th June 2023, 09:27 PM

Default Lumpy bumpy suspension issue

So I’ve got an issue with my suspension and after my Indy having a quick look they’re struggling to find fault, if anything it’s come back from them worse than it was - assume from them having up on ramps n poking and prodding at it….

It’s recently had a cv joint replaced and an arm, other than that I’m told everything looks good, no excessive play etc. but it just does not drive right at all, it doesn’t feel nice n smooth on roads, very much dislikes ramps or speed bumps and just seems to crash over them, it’s almost as if there’s no absorbing of anything

So my thoughts are, with no visible issue with springs, could it be the shocks?

Ive seen posts where others suggest all looks ok. But it can actually be bushes?

Could it be anything else? I don’t want to fork out for new shocks etc n find I’ve still got same issues

Tia as always for any help on this
1990 2.3 20v 7a Coupe Quattro

**SOLD** 1996 2.6 v6 cabriolet, Isis red metallic
**DEAD ** 2009 D3, 3.0tdi sport, black

Had a few Audis over the years, mostly early stuff, newest was a D3 prior to my D4, nothing much kept me smitten with other marques so I floated about a bit from one thing to another until that four ring lure caught hold

Old 10th June 2023, 11:01 AM
Banned

Where are you based exactly? I often do work in Midlands and could come down maybe have a drive with you and see if its really something bad?
Old 10th June 2023, 11:26 AM

East Midlands coventry/leicester direction but I dont mind travelling a bit either if you were close by….

I’m always game for a little chat ref cars n a second opinion on all my niggles would be good!

Had a few Audis over the years, mostly early stuff, newest was a D3 prior to my D4, nothing much kept me smitten with other marques so I floated about a bit from one thing to another until that four ring lure caught hold

Old 10th June 2023, 11:28 AM

Ive been in enough of these over the years to know that mine isn’t right, just need to get to bottom of it and that’s the bit I struggle with

Old 10th June 2023, 01:06 PM

Sure the springs are ok? Its quite common for them to break at the lower coil. The other usual candidate for front end noise is the front upper rear control arm inner bush which delaminates and allows the arm to hit the mounting plate. It would be extremely unusual for a damper to be broken or damaged as they tend to last a very long time.

Also, don't replace just one arm - its a false economy as you'll end up just chasing worn bushes around the front end. Any garage who recommends such should be treated with considerable suspicion and likely used chinesium tat from the local motor factor with a lifespan usually in months at best.

I would strongly recommend doing all the arms and tie rod ends at the same time with quality stuff like Meyle HD or Febi. Also worth doing the strut top mounts while its in bits.
Old 10th June 2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Sure the springs are ok? Its quite common for them to break at the lower coil. The other usual candidate for front end noise is the front upper rear control arm inner bush which delaminates and allows the arm to hit the mounting plate. It would be extremely unusual for a damper to be broken or damaged as they tend to last a very long time.

Also, don't replace just one arm - its a false economy as you'll end up just chasing worn bushes around the front end. Any garage who recommends such should be treated with considerable suspicion and likely used chinesium tat from the local motor factor with a lifespan usually in months at best.

I would strongly recommend doing all the arms and tie rod ends at the same time with quality stuff like Meyle HD or Febi. Also worth doing the strut top mounts while its in bits.
Thanks MJ, I did wonder about just doing the lot but the garage never suggested it, other than saying about NOT replacing for sake of it. I’ve had this a few years now though n not planning to get rid if I can avoid it, I just w@nt to get everything ‘sorted’, unless of course a mint s8 falls across my path perhaps…..

I’m not sure it’s just front end or about springs, everything I’ve heard n felt has felt like rear to me, then the garage had said front was issue…. So I could be wrong

Last edited by monkeyboyuk; 10th June 2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10th June 2023, 08:56 PM

The rear bushes will be quite ruined - they all are by now, but they tend not to make any noise as they are all highly constrained. Replacing them will stop some creaks and make the rear end more stable but they're generally not an urgent or MoT issue.

Broken springs on the rear are even more common than on the front though, and they do tend to make some odd noises as the springs move on the broken chunk.
Old 10th June 2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The rear bushes will be quite ruined - they all are by now, but they tend not to make any noise as they are all highly constrained. Replacing them will stop some creaks and make the rear end more stable but they're generally not an urgent or MoT issue.

Broken springs on the rear are even more common than on the front though, and they do tend to make some odd noises as the springs move on the broken chunk.
Thanks again, I’ll try and get somewhere I can have a good look at it