A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 1st October 2016, 12:56 PM

A8P:

Have to replaced the triangles yet? Im going to respray several parts of my car soon and the paint shop are going to sand down the parts and respray them in satin black and add a couple of extra layers of clear coat

But have no clue on how to remove them yet so though i should ask if you have done it ??
Old 1st October 2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOR_KNet View Post
A8P:

Have to replaced the triangles yet? Im going to respray several parts of my car soon and the paint shop are going to sand down the parts and respray them in satin black and add a couple of extra layers of clear coat

But have no clue on how to remove them yet so though i should ask if you have done it ??
The link to the Russian site on the first page is pretty accurate in what is involved. I got one from the forum sponsors when I was buying the rear blinds. However, when it came to doing the small triangle, that's when I discovered that the entire top half of the door has to be removed. Removing wouldn't have been the issue, but getting it aligned properly afterwards would, so I decided against it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st October 2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOR_KNet View Post
A8P:

As steamship said I looked further into it and was happy to do it but wasn't convinced I could align the Windows again which would be a big problem. I still want to do it but need to find the right person to help before I take it apart.
Sorry to those waiting after I said I would post this as a write up.
Old 4th October 2016, 04:43 PM

A8P:

I totally understand the worry about aligning the window again. Dont know what do to myself at this point. I also need to figure out how to remove the chrome trim thats under the window so the painters can respray my rear door. I think they are clipsed in but need to remove the door card and maybe have the same problem aligning the window afterwards..

Anyone removed the chrome trim on the rear door (the chrome trim thaat goes around the side windows)??

Regards
Kenneth
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:03 AM

Bump this thread as my ones are bubbling now!
I see Neeldub has written a guide how to change the door lock which shows him totally dismantling the door frame.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:49 AM

Default 1.5-2 hrs per side

Coincidently, I did mine this weekend, and it took approx 1.5 hours per side from start to finish. The trims come off fairly easily - on the outside of the window is a little flap of foam which is tucked under the corner trim, this just folds out to reveal the single screw holding the trim in place.

Undo the screw the slide the trim down a cm or two, then lift the leading edge a bit and slide down again to get it out.

I left the car unused while i stripped and repainted and just left the frame unattached in the door.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:53 AM

The labour involved to remove 2 small triangles is unbelieveable isnt it!

As such I have decided to have them rubbed down and resprayed in situ.

Not the best option but one I am willing to take, knowing I will probably have to get the job done again at some point.

Once dismantled, in my experience, car doors have a tendenacy to never go back to quite how they were and result in misalignment etc. Other than the condition of the triangles, all is good at the moment, so I am going to leave well alone!

I will post the results.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:41 PM

Factor in the prep and re-painting and it's even longer, though I had a door handle to replace on one side so it wasn't that much extra work - in fact changing the handle with the window frame out was so much easier and quicker.

Alignment didn't seem to be a problem, as there's not much movement in all the combined fixings - just pull the top of the windows inwards and upwards was all I needed to do whilst tightening the fixings

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:42 PM

I recently had some things sprayed to get the car back to immaculate condition and one of the things I did was replace both triangles. Also stripped a door down to bare door without trims for painting. The first door took me about half an hour with some breaks to look up info in repair manual. The second was done in 5 minutes. Reassembly was very straight forward with the frame alignment being rather easy but you need the right 12pt socket and extention piece and after that the window alignment was a piece of cake. Actually I'm glad I did this because my rear windowframes now seal like factory again whereas before they got a bit sloppy from age. There used to be a 1mm gap between the rubber trim and the car body which is now completely gone! The only troublesome thing was the pins from the electric roller blinds, they are a pain to properly guide. A helping hand did the trick here, and some painters tape on various parts so they wouldnt scratch.