A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Owners Meets

Owners Meets Any info for any meetings, events, track days

Old 24th April 2012, 05:20 PM

Send me a pm and I'll give you the address

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 29th April 2012, 06:11 PM

A massive thanks to John for taking the time to run through the paint correction process and allowing us bumbling amateurs to use his tools... Definitely be putting those techniques to good use over the coming months

That garage is a sight to behold... Looks even better in the flesh where you can appreciate the sheer size of it! And that Rover 16 is lovely

I'm sure Connor will be along with the pics shortly of the shenanigans, and also the before and after pics of the Astra bonnet that Brian provided.

I know.. I know..

Old 29th April 2012, 06:39 PM

Default great day

thanks again john for us learning so much and being a great host thanks for letting us use the ramp and find more problems with my car (still thinking what to do ) thanks john
Old 29th April 2012, 07:23 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

John gave us a first class day! Loads of photos to follow when I have a little time (and loads form Connor, aka David Bailey, I'm sure), but John was a brilliant host (he even cooked lunch!) and taught us sooooooo much about paint restoration. I thought the bonnet that Brian had bought was beyond help, but wait 'till you see the piccies.

The '47 Rover was a sight to behold, as was the 3 car garage with the 4 post lift and a tool collection to die for, but John's patience with we numpties and his undisputed skill were amazing!

Me, Brian and David are clubbing funds to buy the gear to make sure our 3 S8s are pristine in time for David's daughter's wedding in June.

John, thanks so much, you're a real gent! You are one of quite a few on this forum who give your time and expertise freely to make '8 ownership a joy for the rest of us.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 29th April 2012, 08:09 PM

Just to echo all above. Many thanks John for your time, patience and tools and materials - lunch too! Great to get the car up and be able to walk about underneath - so much better than crawling on your back.

That garage....
Old 29th April 2012, 08:50 PM

Thanks guys, glad you had a good day, sorry it was cut a little short but as you know I have to go to work when the phone rings. I've even managed to collect my £70 Snap-On tool box on the way home so saved a bit of fuel there.

Looking forward to the pictures Connor, but are you missing a camera case?

You couldn't have picked a worse or should that be better bonnet for trying out your skills on. Repainted, lots of scratches, loads of faults and with a bit of time it could have turned out ok...until it was cut in half.

Going for something to eat now and have a look at my £70 Snap-On box, will post a couple of pictures up and let you see what you missed....

Old 29th April 2012, 08:51 PM

And also from me and Connor a huge thanks, and again to echo Jim's comments John laid on a superb day, and I hope in my case at least he managed to prove that you can teach old dogs new tricks. And BTW some really serious garage envy, I suggested to John that if he does another session the subject could be "How to persuade your wife to let you build a stonking great garage in your garden", that might be a trickier one than paint correction

Thanks again John, we will get some pics up once I have had a chance to sort out the 150 odd that Connor took

Edit, yes we do seem to be missing a camera case think it has the spare battery in as well

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 29th April 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 29th April 2012, 09:40 PM

Just checked Brian, yes it does have a battery in it which doesn't fit my camera so you can have it back

Looks like I did ok with my tool box

10 minutes with a hairdryer and it's looking better already

and inside

I'll give it a good clean tomorrow (G3, G10, A Grade and 5050) and show you the results

Old 30th April 2012, 09:21 AM

Looking more of a bargain now.

It's better than what I expected, the drawers are virtually new inside with no dings and although the lid could do with a paint I am happy with my purchase

Old 30th April 2012, 11:42 AM

Result Very shiny..

I know.. I know..