A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 10th April 2013, 09:14 PM

Default Bullseye chip in windscreen ...

Cut long story short , ive been glued to the back of a Carrera S the other morning at Autobahn speeds and ended up with this on my windscreen

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct...65714606133474

Id like to try and repair it myself using a kit of eBay or something, the only problem is from what I understand to fix it id need to inject the special resin into it but the chip on my windscreen is pretty much smooth I can just about feel a little scratch on it , that's about it. Should I just leave it for now and see what happens ?
Old 10th April 2013, 09:37 PM

The pros drill a hole in the middle and then pull a vacuum and then release the resin.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the info

Any idea how much this might cost ?
Old 10th April 2013, 10:01 PM

Dunno where you are, but in the UK all insurers will do that for you for free.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th April 2013, 06:40 AM

Put a hammer through it and have a new one fitted for 60 notes

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th April 2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Dunno where you are, but in the UK all insurers will do that for you for free.
Admiral/Elephant/Bell etc.. charge £20 now since they changed to National Windscreens from Autoglass. I just had a new one fitted yesterday for £75 excess. In the past I have always insisted on genuine VAG glass to Autoglass and always got one as I have found other glass to be too distorted. I have had repairs in the past and not been impressed as they were in my line of sight and could be seen as imperfections.

After an hour of calls to National Windscreens HQ and Admiral UK & even India, they refused to fit Audi glass as the car is over 3 years old. They were also going to fit a non-Acoustic one, but I got them on that one. I wanted a heat reflective one and said I had one before it was last changed, but they said that their supplier doesn't make them anymore, but would get a genuine one but only if I already had one (which I didn't).

They did a good job of fitting it but the only problem now, is I'm sure the gap at the top of the glass to roof is bigger, but then the VIN sticker is centred in the window, so maybe I'm just imagining it, or maybe they cleaned out the gap so it's more noticeable.
Old 11th April 2013, 06:46 PM

IM in Middlesbrough uk. I don't really want a new windscreen tbh i phoned about today and someone's coming to fix it tomorrow for 30 quid. They never mentioned anything about insurance though. Atm mine is only tpft because i had a different car on it before.
Old 11th April 2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin View Post
IM in Middlesbrough uk. I don't really want a new windscreen tbh i phoned about today and someone's coming to fix it tomorrow for 30 quid. They never mentioned anything about insurance though. Atm mine is only tpft because i had a different car on it before.
Be aware, I once read of people having 'free' repairs in carparks from pop-up stalls. They signed papers which in the small print said the repairer would claim directly off the person's insurance, but as many insurers refused to pay, the car owner then gets billed. Make sure you don't sign a large paper for what is a simple repair.
Old 11th April 2013, 08:21 PM

Nah its a "proper" company which replaced the windscreen on my company car a few days ago, they want £30 + VAT to repair the chip. I had a look at my insurance certificate and id have to pay £80 excess if I went through insurance.

Thanks for all the info
Old 13th April 2013, 07:22 AM

They came yesterday , had a look at it and said its already been repaired hence its smooth It must have been there when I picked the car up but it must have been where the old dealers tax disc holder was stuck on , I took it off one night and put my own on and didn't notice it then either ! Either way they didn't charge me anything so its all good !