A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 14th February 2018, 09:16 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
My house is 118 years old and the cross ventilation is what comes in under the roof tiles.

Wouldn't be a clean stream of air through that that I can imagine to be able to duct it into a miner.
Sounds similar to my house (or as I call it, 'the money pit') -- Built from stone, circa 1875. I have no usable loft. There's a hundred years of dust and grit up there and the wind blows through the tiles. Fortunately I do have a usable cellar, although I have to keep everything a few feet from the floor because it can flood in very severe weather. My Antminers are presently on a bench down there, blowing warm air up into the house (via a grille I fitted in the floor). I've got them on wire rack shelving at the moment, which I'm now planning to surround in 18mm MDF (painted with fire resistant paint) to reduce the noise a little further.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th February 2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Sounds similar to my house (or as I call it, 'the money pit') -- Built from stone, circa 1875. I have no usable loft. There's a hundred years of dust and grit up there and the wind blows through the tiles. Fortunately I do have a usable cellar, although I have to keep everything a few feet from the floor because it can flood in very severe weather. My Antminers are presently on a bench down there, blowing warm air up into the house (via a grille I fitted in the floor). I've got them on wire rack shelving at the moment, which I'm now planning to surround in 18mm MDF (painted with fire resistant paint) to reduce the noise a little further.
Yeah thats the place. Although I went and kicked down all my ceilings to get rid of the lath and plaster and a century of filth.

Wish I had a cellar.

Old 14th February 2018, 10:06 AM

What kind of freq is your S9's running at?, i assume its related to temps is it?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freq & Temps.jpeg
Views:	457
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	17944  

Old 14th February 2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I've got them on wire rack shelving at the moment, which I'm now planning to surround in 18mm MDF (painted with fire resistant paint) to reduce the noise a little further.
I would use OSB than MDF and maybe line it with plaster board to give a bit more weight for sound absorption and fire protection.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 14th February 2018, 10:33 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
I would use OSB than MDF and maybe line it with plaster board to give a bit more weight for sound absorption and fire protection.
Thanks. I might look at OSB instead. Do you think that would have better sound absorption properties than MDF?

Quote:
What kind of freq is your S9's running at?, i assume its related to temps is it?

Good question. I'm not sure. I assumed it was a fixed freq. Here's mine ...

(First one is running is running in a customer's server room, which has HVAC, keeping the room at ~18 degrees C. Second one is at home.)

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th February 2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I might look at OSB instead. Do you think that would have better sound absorption properties than MDF?
I would think they are virtually equal in 18mm thickness. Just in my experience OSB is a better material to work with, but then Ply is better than OSB if more expensive. MDF is more of a finishing material. Best to tackle noise reduction first by blocking off the sound waves with a heavy case / box from OSB-2 and plasterboard. Maybe a box within a box. Then sound absorption with cork panels or mineral fiber.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 14th February 2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Abut the same frequency here. On the older S9 you could set frequency and fans speed yourself on the later models they use so called autotune. If the temp goes above 75C it starts increasing fan speed, if the temp gets near 110C it will start decreasing frequency and voltage. Looks like yours have very different fans as they run different speeds. My and my friends are running both at the similar speed. My has Delta 3A intake fan and Yate Loon 2.3A exhaust, his has Nidec 1.65A both ends. All running about 4500rpm without ducting and near 6k rpm with the ducting. The fans have different pitch, mine is easier on the ear without ducting but with the ducting his are quieter.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 14th February 2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:19 PM

You mentioned about the fan speed, so I took some pictures of the fans, btw they are noisy at full chat

Pull Fan

Push Fan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo_2018-02-14_20-27-08.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	17946   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2018-02-14_20-27-18.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	17947  

Old 14th February 2018, 08:38 PM

AAVID I have not seen before, Shengjiu I have on one of L3+

8 history:
Old 17th February 2018, 04:56 PM

So my plans to use aerated blocks was busted because nobody seem to stock Durox 620mm or 600mm long blocks despite listing them on website, they said if I order at least 1 whole pallet they might look in to getting some for me but I do not need that much. The standard 440mm blocks would not work that well size wise so I had to abandon that for now.

The pulse generator from e-bay , the first one i bought was genereating 0.9Hz as it was shipped, after I did some adjustments it stopped working, I am not sure if I did something wrong to it so I ordered another one and it works just fine generating pulse ant it does show fan rpm both on PC motherboard and on Antminer, so far I only tried it on D3 but it does work so far.

I have been searching for the info what are the temp limits on different Antminers. The official info from Bitmain is that L3+ and D3 will stop running if PCB tamp reaches 85C, no mention about chip temps. Latest S9 models with autotune will stop running when chip temp reaches 125-135C, no mention about PCB temp or about older fixed frequency S9 models.

This brings me back to testing with Manrose 5" fan only on intake as it is the quietest solution so far. L3+ and D3 with modified firmware run just fine without any of stock fans connected and temps are about 55-60C for PCB and 75-80C for chips, S9 does not show PCB but chips are 90-92C so in all cases well below the max specified temps. The noise is about 65dB in all case instead of stock 70dB for L3+ and 80-85dB for S9, I have not measured stock noise on D3 but I guess about 75dB. So this definitely looks like a good option if a bit expensive @ £62 for the fan, £7.75 for 5" adapter and £1.70 for rpm signal generator (not sure if I can use one per miner or if it will need 2). some ducting is optional as it does not noticeably reduce noise any further but could be used for fresh air supply or if you are routing warm air to another room. For the S9 I might also consider 6" version of the fan.

Edit: So I decided to do some more testing with the D3 and put in in under-stairs storage and blowing the hot air through the 5" adapter and about 1m of 5" insulated ducting into the kitchen through the old vent opening from when the house had hot air heating. It's been running for couple of hours now and there are no issues so far, noise level is 48dB in kitchen, about 45dB rest of the house.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	17961  

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 17th February 2018 at 10:47 PM.