A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 18th February 2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
So my plans to use aerated blocks was busted because nobody seem to stock Durox 620mm or 600mm long blocks despite listing them on website, they said if I order at least 1 whole pallet they might look in to getting some for me but I do not need that much. The standard 440mm blocks would not work that well size wise so I had to abandon that for now.

The pulse generator from e-bay , the first one i bought was genereating 0.9Hz as it was shipped, after I did some adjustments it stopped working, I am not sure if I did something wrong to it so I ordered another one and it works just fine generating pulse ant it does show fan rpm both on PC motherboard and on Antminer, so far I only tried it on D3 but it does work so far.

I have been searching for the info what are the temp limits on different Antminers. The official info from Bitmain is that L3+ and D3 will stop running if PCB tamp reaches 85C, no mention about chip temps. Latest S9 models with autotune will stop running when chip temp reaches 125-135C, no mention about PCB temp or about older fixed frequency S9 models.

This brings me back to testing with Manrose 5" fan only on intake as it is the quietest solution so far. L3+ and D3 with modified firmware run just fine without any of stock fans connected and temps are about 55-60C for PCB and 75-80C for chips, S9 does not show PCB but chips are 90-92C so in all cases well below the max specified temps. The noise is about 65dB in all case instead of stock 70dB for L3+ and 80-85dB for S9, I have not measured stock noise on D3 but I guess about 75dB. So this definitely looks like a good option if a bit expensive @ £62 for the fan, £7.75 for 5" adapter and £1.70 for rpm signal generator (not sure if I can use one per miner or if it will need 2). some ducting is optional as it does not noticeably reduce noise any further but could be used for fresh air supply or if you are routing warm air to another room. For the S9 I might also consider 6" version of the fan.

Edit: So I decided to do some more testing with the D3 and put in in under-stairs storage and blowing the hot air through the 5" adapter and about 1m of 5" insulated ducting into the kitchen through the old vent opening from when the house had hot air heating. It's been running for couple of hours now and there are no issues so far, noise level is 48dB in kitchen, about 45dB rest of the house.

I see your running the modded firmware, Have you tried to remove the Dev fee pools from it.

I came across this and wondered if it was possible

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2056032.0

Old 18th February 2018, 12:05 PM

No I have not but that is something to look at.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th February 2018, 03:37 PM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Antmi...YAAOSwKXdabp3~

not sure i'd buy one, but the idea of a cheap cool box is pretty neat, sealed and easy to modify with a hole saw etc....May even have one about in the garage.
So far my one S9 in the garage isn't particularly audible in the house or outside. My 2 board s7 is in an office / server room and i open the door during the day for the heat and close at night for sleep, but it can get toasty if i forget and it'll go into beep/overheat shutdown if i forget and leave too long....I'm also starting to see the rates on it really plumet....Not so much the ROI but 4.7Th isn't pulling down much in terms of coins

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 20th February 2018, 02:05 PM

Anyone else mining LCC? Got my S9 pointed at it just now. projected earnings are £32 a day

Old 20th February 2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Anyone else mining LCC? Got my S9 pointed at it just now. projected earnings are £32 a day
Is that taking the cost of electricity into account? Still mightily confused about all this, even though I've been trying to follow the thread. The main bit that gets me are the projected earnings and how much they vary.

I just checked the Bitmain site and you can order the S9 + PSU for $2,425 (£1,732.15 at current rate). Now that isn't 'too' expensive compared to some other prices that have been quoted previously, and if the £32/day was a pretty typical earning, I'd almost be tempted to order one. I just don't have the mental capacity to monitor the markets and change the currency being mined.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th February 2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Is that taking the cost of electricity into account? Still mightily confused about all this, even though I've been trying to follow the thread. The main bit that gets me are the projected earnings and how much they vary.

I just checked the Bitmain site and you can order the S9 + PSU for $2,425 (£1,732.15 at current rate). Now that isn't 'too' expensive compared to some other prices that have been quoted previously, and if the £32/day was a pretty typical earning, I'd almost be tempted to order one. I just don't have the mental capacity to monitor the markets and change the currency being mined.
No thats without electric. My s9 is chewing through £140 per month electric.

As far as earnings are concerned there are no fixed prices or sure things as difficulty changes along with price so what is good for today may not be tomorrow.

I have three more coming in the March batch. I won't be keeping them all as they are too loud and I want more L3+ instead. as they consume less energy and produce less noise.

You will also have to pay shipping for the stuff from Bitmain and VAT when it arrives. Think the S9 was like 400 quid Vat.

Old 20th February 2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
No thats without electric. My s9 is chewing through £140 per month electric.

As far as earnings are concerned there are no fixed prices or sure things as difficulty changes along with price so what is good for today may not be tomorrow.

I have three more coming in the March batch. I won't be keeping them all as they are too loud and I want more L3+ instead. as they consume less energy and produce less noise.

You will also have to pay shipping for the stuff from Bitmain and VAT when it arrives. Think the S9 was like 400 quid Vat.
So very roughly speaking, a fiver a day for electric, the S9 would pay for the electric in roughly six days and the rest is earnings. With the VAT added, it would be coming in at around £2,100. As you say, the earnings figures are pretty volatile and change at the drop of a hat, but I'm almost tempted to order one. It would help pay for the petrol that I'm now consuming.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th February 2018, 06:18 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
I might have to look into that. Where are you mining it?

Most of what I've read about Litecoin Cash so far (which isn't a lot to be honest), is that it's a bit of a scam coin, which put me off a little, although similar things were said about BCH when it first launched. From a mining point of view though I suppose it doesn't matter as long as it's profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Still mightily confused about all this, even though I've been trying to follow the thread. The main bit that gets me are the projected earnings and how much they vary.
You don't really have to bother chasing the profitable coins. Most of the time I just rent mine out. Renting generally gets more profitable if there are more profitable coins to mine. You may not make quite as much as you would by watching the markets and switching between coins, but it's less time consuming.

If you want to try mining different coins directly, you can compare profitability here:
https://whattomine.com/
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 20th February 2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I might have to look into that. Where are you mining it?
I'm Mining here

I know what you mean about the Scam thing, but I'll let the S9 run there for a while and see how it plays out. Just because its not backed by the Litecoin developers doesn't mean that it can't be legit in its own right.

I did move my LTC out from my original wallet after the fork too. Not tried claiming the airdrop yet though.

Last edited by Delboy; 20th February 2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 21st February 2018, 12:33 PM

LCC looks interesting....I've thrown one of my S7's at it (4.7TH) and i'll see what it can do. I'm currently playing with UNIT on my S7(2card) and my S9 as it seems to earn a bit more and I like spreading my earnings and BCH got a little low as did BTC, so why not!

I like getting in early and grabbing some coin whilst it's easy to mine. Hopefully the pool (multipool) will be good as one of the Trezarcoin ones i was on was dire and switching to a different pool netted me about 50% more for the same hash rate.....It's odd as i've found the pool can make a *HUGE* difference and that's not so much based on the amount of users and how coins drop but something odd seems to happen with shares and figures that i've not quite clocked (Dodgy pools?)

I'm not sure if the S9 is on the wain now. I've got one and it WAS earning great, but the BTC slump and the hash rates have increased and it's not minting coins anywhere near what it was in December. It's definitely profitable NOW but in a couple of months time at $2300 with PSU and shipping and stuff you're probably into £2800 - I paid £1700 all in back in November and I think it was a good buy....Now OK....A couple of months time ???

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)