A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th November 2009, 06:26 PM
GMan

Default S8 Service

Hello all,

Well, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a bit of help.

About one week ago I became the proud owner of a 1998 D2 S8. The past week has seen me alienate most people within a 4 yard radius wherever I go as I dribble on about how good this car is. I've listed my previous cars below:

Rover 25 IL 2.0TD (2000)
Seat Leon Cupra Diesel 150BHP (2004)
Vauxhall Corsa Sxi 1.3TDi (2008)

So as good as the S8 is, you can see given my previous track record why the S8 blows me away! You can combine the BHP of all my previous cars and the S8 has more than all three put together. That either exposes more poor taste in previous cars or my great taste in my current car... but lets be honest, probably both.

I'm not just a power junkie, I was mesmorised by the S8 at a Birmingham roadshow when I was a kid and it gives an extra special feeling to finally be behind the wheel of one. The spec inside this 11yr old car outstrips most cars on the road. All in all I'm a very happy man.

I'm not sure how many S8s now have this, but mine was converted in 2007 to a BRC LPG system which works extremely well. This was serviced at the weekend and all is well, but this leads me to my question.

To put it simply, how do you service an S8? I'm pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to toying with cars but I'm itching to give it a crack. I'm not looking to tackle anything massive, but I am looking to change oil, change brake pads, change filters, look at suspension etc. I know there will be stuff I can't do right away but what I was hoping to do was give the S8 a minor service.

The only stuff I've done before it putting a ZR bumper on my Rover 25 and installing fog lights.

I've been reading posts on this forum recently and you guys really seem to know your onions, so I was hoing that you could point me in the right direction. I've looked and I couldn't see anything on a service:

- What comprises a minor service?
- What tools do I need?
- Are there any links you could send me to point me in the right direction on what I need to do?

For someone who is looking to be an amateur grease monkey is this the right way to go? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for this

George (budding grease monkey with a permanent smile!)
Old 17th November 2009, 07:53 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

George,

Welcome to the forum. I hope during your look around you spotted the A8oc and of course our sponsors on this forum A8Parts. It would be great to see some photos of your 8 as we are all a 'bit' sad on here and share your joy of ownership of an understated battlecruiser!

To answer your questions, the reoutine servicing are well within the average DIY spanner monkeys capabilities, but maintainance and repair are a little more complex.

For a start if you intend to do your own maintance then you will need 2 bits of software and one vital bit of hardware.

Vag-Com - indispensible
ODBD II lead - Ebay variants avialable but you can't beat the real thing. As inmportant as a torque wrench during and engine rebuild!

ELSAWIN - VAGs digital technical and maintainance manual (available from E-Bay at very reasonable prices)

The service points are basicall 10000 Miles / 1 year for the engine and is realy only a check and adjust and oil and filter change. Don't skimp on oil quality it just ain't worth it. I'm sure Ben from AVP will be along shortly with tech specs.

20000 Miles/2 years - from memory, oil / filter / air filter/ HVAC filters/ Plugs (although I have had 50k out of a set!!!) and full check and adjust.

80k is cambelt and tensioner. Do the waterpump at the same time as you have to remove all the same kit to replace it if it goes wrong 10k after you've changed the cambelt. Some of us do this ourselves, but if you have the slightest doubt the get Ben at AVP to do it. I drive from Plymouth to his place in Burton upon Trent as he has the A8ocs complete trust, he knows what he is doing and he's a nice bloke!

Automatic Transmission Fluid and filter. This is a slightly contensious issue as Audi say it is filled for life. I and many others belive otherwise. You 98 S8 will have a 5 speed box and therefore you may wish to change the ATF and filter every 20 to 30 k. Mine was done at 53K with a rebuilt box and again at 80k when the transmission squeal started. I will be doing it again soon as I am above 100K now. Some have never done it and had no problems. Some have done it at the first signs of problems and it has been ok and some have done it and the gearbox has failed shortly afterwards.

I think 2 things are at work here. If started early and repeated every 20/30k your box will run on for 150k plus. If your don't do it and no problems apear you may get 130-150k.
Once probles start to appear your box is going to fail if you do nothing and may fail if you do a fluid and filter change. But then again it may not.

There is a very interesting thread on the subject here.

Once again welcome. Enjoy your stay and I hope to meet you at one of our events next year.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:47 AM
GMan

Thanks for that Conan.

I'm looking into this and I'll let you know how I get on. I'll give the old girl a bit of a clean down and get some pics up soon.

Cheers

G
Old 20th November 2009, 03:21 PM

Mike,

Is 80k for the cambelt change a bit optimistic? Is that an Audi recommendation or experience?

Steve
Old 20th November 2009, 03:34 PM
GMan

Also, what's the going rate for cambelt, tensioner and water pump change?

Thanks

George
Old 20th November 2009, 03:39 PM

The Audi maintenance schedule sheet I have for my 99 car shows it due at 75,000 miles so I'm not sure where you'd stand if you left it until 80k

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 20th November 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:01 PM

PF 4.2s were 80k (and I think my D3 is too).

If it's over or near 8 years old, I'd consider a change anyway.

I know.. I know..

Old 21st November 2009, 02:14 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
PF 4.2s were 80k (and I think my D3 is too).

If it's over or near 8 years old, I'd consider a change anyway.
PF ABZ and AHC are quoted by Audi as 80K miles. I have heard many others and concur with the 8 Years; everything ages.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 22nd November 2009, 05:24 PM

Hold up.. D3s have cambelts? Freaking hell. BMW stopped using them in the early 90s and that's on entry level 3 Series Bimmers...
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 22nd November 2009, 06:24 PM

The latest FSI engines are chain driven I believe (as well as all the D3 Diesels), but the FSI was only avaialble from 2007 on I think.

I know.. I know..