A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 20th March 2009, 07:48 PM

Default If you question the use of quality fuels....read this

Check out the BP Ultimate A8 demo

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here
Old 20th March 2009, 08:15 PM
entwisi

heh, don't mean much to those of us on LPG though
Old 20th March 2009, 08:42 PM

I run my S8 exclusively on V Power/Tesco 99 but yesterday I filled it up with normal petrol as V Power wasn't available, can feel no diffrence, does anyone actually feel any diffrence with different fuels or is it just the kindness to the engine aspect?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 20th March 2009, 09:06 PM

You'll not notice the difference straight away. Put another tank in when you've emptied this one, then put V-Power back in. You'll feel the difference. You'll notice it too even compared to the Tesco 99. Because the Tesco 99 isn't a true 99 octane fuel. It's a 95, with booster added. The problem you tend to have is that the booster evaporates, quite quickly IIRC, and then obviously the fuel returns to its 'normal' octane rating.

I've got some test results somewhere, of testing that Retro Ford carried out. Tesco's 99 provided less of a boost to power, than BP's 97 octane Ultimate!

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here
Old 20th March 2009, 09:33 PM

Maybe I will, haven't really hoofed it with the normal fuel just kinda pootled along so cant really comment. I'll V Power from now on, however I did read somewhere that Tesco 99 was the better one. There was a test with three diffrent cars, using normal fuel, then Tesco 99/V Power and on the rolling road the one with the Tesco 99 performed the best. I.e recorded the most BHP
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 20th March 2009, 10:34 PM
entwisi

you mean this

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t...s_Update.shtml
Old 21st March 2009, 12:05 AM

I thought Super unleaded was snake oil but after eight tanks of essos finest I'm driving more aggressively and getting 6-10% better fuel economy. I now do nearly 19mpg instead of bang on 17. That's according to fuel in / miles. The onboard computer still reckons I'm getting 22. Yet the tank range estimate is spot on?

Maybe it just needs to be thrashed regularly to clear it's throat? Who knows?

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 24th March 2009, 03:47 PM
harpersimon

nothing a bottle of redex won't sort :-)
Old 11th April 2009, 01:37 AM
DJStrange

I usually fill up with BP normal (95) unleaded, and have had a maximum of 26mpg on my regular run north @ 75mph (average speed showing 69mph after 185 miles). 2002 S8.

This time (thursday night) I filled up with BP Ultimate, grumbling as I did so at 100.9p per litre but...

27.9mpg @ varying speeds (bank hol traffic) average speed showed 66mph after 205 miles. I'm pretty optimistic I may be able to break 28mpg going back south if the M1/A43/M40 are quiet enough (from Barnsley to Chalfont St.Giles).

This isn't a big-up for BP, just my experience changing my usual fill, as I tend to use the same BP garage when south. I'll probably fill up with something else 97-99ron when I leave Barnsley, see what I get.

Tags
audi, audi a8, petrol, ultimate, unleaded