A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 28th February 2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Ouch, but is is a tractor so should be running filth fuel anyway.

Not much consolation for you but ships too are affected by emmisions now with Marpol tier 3 all new builds will have to comply and old ships need to clean up their acts (depending where they operate) buy fitting scrubbers, urea tanks or scavenge air moisturising systems. Fitting these to a non compliant ship can be mega bucks.
Never thought about that, wow it must be a nightmare for the industry and private owners practically all ships run on diesel, even most sailing yachts have a diesel engine.
Old 28th February 2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Never thought about that, wow it must be a nightmare for the industry and private owners practically all ships run on diesel, even most sailing yachts have a diesel engine.
Its even more complicated than that. The larger ships switch fuels between heavy fuel oil (for use on ocean passage) and lighter, low sulphur marine diesel when in designated areas (esp around USA). Many are now turning to LNG. The inclusion of shipping in the emissions legislation is a real headache for the industry.
Old 1st March 2017, 08:57 AM

I never knew that! In my ignorance I thought all marine engines use some form of diesel.
Just went and read up about Heavy Fuel Oil, very interesting.
I was very interested in 1st and 2nd world war battleships when I was younger, and remember reading that their steam turbine engines use fuel oil but I never read about what type of oil it was, it was probably Heavy Fuel Oil.
Old 1st March 2017, 09:20 AM

Pity help all the poor sods who bought a 'converted' diesel engined car in the last few years. They'll need to spend a fortune having the DPF put back in place and the ECU reprogrammed

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 1st March 2017, 09:48 AM

I look back at this thread with relief - some of the advice would have been bad in the long run (let alone costing more at the time)!

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4917

The car ran well for the next 50k miles until I sold it, but then I think the new owner remove and mapped out the DPF on a quest for fuel economy and simplicity.

Change tends to be slow, so I suspect by the time this comes in it may not be economical to "repair" many of these cars - which is possibly an intended side effect!?
Old 1st March 2017, 10:29 AM

Mine was removed years ago, EU4+DPF and gave 1/20th of the smoke limit in the MOT at the Audi dealer and they did do it properly as I saw it on the dashcam.
Not sure if the later EU5 injectors I fitted help.
I don't think checking for DPF is needed, just a tighter limit on smoke.
Old 1st March 2017, 03:11 PM

EU4 doesn't require a DPF to meet the type approval requirements that applied to them when new - manufacturers were fitting them to test the technology, or in anticipation of tighter limits in some cities.

Smoke is only a proxy for particulate - it's an easy thing to test for and is part of the regulated roadworthiness directive requirements used at type approval to set a smoke limit and put a value on the VIN plate, but if you test for particulate itself (which can be done but the kit isn't there yet) the difference without a DPF is many magnitudes higher.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC