A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 13th November 2019, 08:44 PM

Excellent, thank you gents. Will be a job for me to do in the coming weeks. I have had the fogging windscreen for a while (when the a/c is turned on to clear the screen) but didn't think much of it.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 18th November 2019, 01:34 PM

Default Windscreen Fogging Up

Hi Steamship/Snap and all....

Thanks for the advice...I went at the plenum/evaporator drains yesterday. As you said, it's pretty straightforward. I was surprised though because they're bone dry. This leads me to believe that maybe there's a blockage elsewhere and water isn't making it down that far.....

I read somewhere else that perhaps it is the cowl drains...

It's becoming a bigger issue now that the mornings are getting colder. My choice is either to let the car warm up in the driveway or keep windows open...

I've attached a photo of the drains...you'll see they're spotless....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	678.8 KB
ID:	22395  
Old 18th November 2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandbuyer View Post
I've attached a photo of the drains...you'll see they're spotless....
Everything looks dry as well, but since everything seems clears, I'm still going to ask a stupid question.

When you had those pipes disconnected, did you try pouring some water down them to see if they were clear, or remove them to check for blockages? Theory would dictate that since there wasn't any water in them, then they are clear.

The only other thing I can think of is the carpets being wet, but then you'd probably have noticed this. I know the backs of the D2 mats have a thick rubber lining (great for holding onto loads of water), but only ever lifted the carpet in the passenger footwell of the D3 once, and don't remember if it had a rubber backing.

It was your comment about you could still hear water sloshing around making me wonder if the water has collected in the footwell(s), underneath everything else, and since it isn't being removed, it's why the windows are steaming up.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th November 2019, 04:14 PM

Steamship,

Actually it's not a stupid question at all. I didn't think of that...doh. Where would I pour the water down from?

The water sloshing around is a different locaiton, in the roof, driver side. Which i'm not sure about because my mechanic cleared out all 4 sunroof drains. I'm going to go and check them myself again now to be totally sure.

Back to the windscreen fogging up issue, i'll check the drains but I can't think of anything else. I did read somewhere that the scuttle drains might affect also but not sure where they're located.....

Any ideas?

cheers.....
Old 19th November 2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandbuyer View Post
Steamship,

Actually it's not a stupid question at all. I didn't think of that...doh. Where would I pour the water down from?

The water sloshing around is a different locaiton, in the roof, driver side. Which i'm not sure about because my mechanic cleared out all 4 sunroof drains. I'm going to go and check them myself again now to be totally sure.
Just pour some water into the pipe shown in your picture above (post #42). If it's blocked, you'll soon know, and some people have used the likes of Mr. Muscle in them to clean them, and then flushed with hot water. I've never had those drains out completely on the D3 (only the D2), so don't know if it's easy to do, but would give you the opportunity to snip the ends of them.

The roof one is puzzling if all the drains have been cleared, unless some other part of the sunroof mechanism has upturned edges and allows water to collect, but then it would have to be hidden from view or would have been easily spotted when clearing the drains.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th July 2020, 06:29 PM

Well finally got around to doing the front sunroof drains today and yes they were blocked! Fortunately no water had been inside the car as they would drain very slowly but still needed doing. I tried various methods but they just would not clear properly so I tried a different approach - the other end.

Passenger side, not too bad. Remove the rear shield and the drain is there. Gummed up from dirt so gave it a good clean with a pipe cleaner. Water flowing effortlessly now. Driver's side, not so easy as the washer bottle is in the way. I removed the fixings and gently pulled the bottle forward enough to see behind it. I could not see the drain and so I used a inspection camera (boroscope) to find the drain. It sits behind the washer bottle area and so I managed to get my hand up there and cleaned again with a pipe cleaner. Drains now clearing properly so I'm happy for now. I will tackle the rear ones in a week or so when I will have the wheels off, although I could see water dripping out at the back. Then will be the A/C drain and scuttle area.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 11th July 2020, 08:04 PM

I've had an issue for about 2 years where the roof would get damp or there would be evidence of water in the fuse boards but no idea where it was coming from.
I cleaned the drains, flushed water down and all was fine.

If I parked the car facing up the road, so passenger side was lower than drivers, no issues. Only happened if the drivers side was low.

I needed a new sunroof cassette, so I ordered one from A8 Parts and stripped mine out.

Having a proper look at my sunroof and the drains, I found no issues with the drains. The issue was with the cassette.
The plastic bit where the drains clip in to, was coming away from the cassette and letting water in.

So just a warning, if you got water and clear drains. Check this area as well.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 11th July 2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD3 View Post
Having a proper look at my sunroof and the drains, I found no issues with the drains. The issue was with the cassette.
The plastic bit where the drains clip in to, was coming away from the cassette and letting water in.

So just a warning, if you got water and clear drains. Check this area as well.
Good call Scott.

On a side note, how difficult was it to change the whole sunroof? Was it a complete headlining off and out of the car job? I read somewhere that the passenger seat needs to come out to get the headlining out? I am looking to replace with a solar roof when I get a chance.
Old 11th July 2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Good call Scott.

On a side note, how difficult was it to change the whole sunroof? Was it a complete headlining off and out of the car job? I read somewhere that the passenger seat needs to come out to get the headlining out? I am looking to replace with a solar roof when I get a chance.
Seat stayed in but its tight.

Roof lining out via the front door, bit of bending but got it out.
Cleaned it as well.

The casset was hard in my own.
Deffo get a friend and cover your dash.

I've got a spare solar roof, fixings here if you're interested.
It's just the panel. So shouldn't be to bad to ship and I think your casset will have the holes for contacts.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 19th May 2022, 04:30 PM

WHAT a lot of weather last night.....drive to work was on the drippy side!

I'd tried rodding the sunroof drains a little while back and i do it ocasionally, but it had gotten to THAT point!

Lift mode, Wheel turned and you can undo the back wheel arches with a torqs. 3 at the bottom, one at the top and flex them back.

Drivers has the fun of water bottle, some bolt/bolt screws and you can pull back and reach up.

Use of some strimmer plastic wire, hot soapy water and bingo. loads of crap. Find you can feed the strimmer wire up on the passenger side and floss your car

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)