A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 8th December 2015, 02:26 PM

Default D3 rear heated windscreen issue?

Ive noticed on my D3 that the rear heated windscreen works fine but when I have pressed the button it only seems to be on for a minute or two before auto switching itself off again, so I end up going through pressing it then watching the button for the light going off then re-pressing which is a pain.

Surely it should be on for longer than 2 minutes and if so why would it be cutting off sooner?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th December 2015, 02:31 PM

Come to mention it mine goes off quickly, although I've not timed how long. I'll look into it.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 8th December 2015, 02:46 PM

Rear window heater control

The convenience system central control unit activates the external rear window heating relay -J9 (relay coil). The information to activate the heated rear window is transmitted via CAN from the air conditioner operating and display unit. The air conditioner operating and display unit is the master unit in the heated rear window function and can, if necessary, initiate cyclic operation of the rear window heating via CAN. During starting actuation of the rear window heater is interrupted.

I'll carry on digging...

Old 8th December 2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Rear window heater control

The convenience system central control unit activates the external rear window heating relay -J9 (relay coil). The information to activate the heated rear window is transmitted via CAN from the air conditioner operating and display unit. The air conditioner operating and display unit is the master unit in the heated rear window function and can, if necessary, initiate cyclic operation of the rear window heating via CAN. During starting actuation of the rear window heater is interrupted.

I'll carry on digging...
Cheers Matt not sure what they mean by "If necessary" lol

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 8th December 2015, 03:09 PM

Actuation of heated rear window at temperatures below 0 °C stays on with no time limit until shut off at temperatures above 0 °C it is shut off after approx. 10 min.

Above 0 °C the rear heated screen is controlled by a complex algorithm of outside ambient temp, internal temp and humidity, and energy management.

Last edited by mattylondon; 8th December 2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 8th December 2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Cheers Matt not sure what they mean by "If necessary" lol
Indeed. A simple, timed 5 minute, on off would have been better. Over engineering at its finest to reduce the electrical load to save a teaspoon of fuel a year.

Old 8th December 2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Actuation of heated rear window at temperatures below 0 °C stays on with no time limit until shut off at temperatures above 0 °C it is shut off after approx. 10 min.

Above 0 °C the rear heated screen is controlled by a complex algorithm of outside ambient temp, internal temp and humidity, and energy management.

So if mine is staying on only for 2 minutes or so then which component isn't functioning correctly and are there any tests on VAGcom to confirm this?

Old 8th December 2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
So if mine is staying on only for 2 minutes or so then which component isn't functioning correctly and are there any tests on VAGcom to confirm this?
Ah... I've found more.... There is different coding for different engines and glass. Maybe yours is controlled to be time-limited between 2-20 mins

- Coding for vehicles with 8-cyl. engine and heat insulating glass.

- Actuation of heated rear window stays on even at temperatures below 0 °C but time-limited (depending on ambient temperature between 2 and 20 min).

Old 8th December 2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Ah... I've found more.... There is different coding for different engines and glass. Maybe yours is controlled to be time-limited between 2-20 mins

- Coding for vehicles with 8-cyl. engine and heat insulating glass.

- Actuation of heated rear window stays on even at temperatures below 0 °C but time-limited (depending on ambient temperature between 2 and 20 min).

mine is a V8 petrol 4.2 but i wasn't aware that it has heat insulating glass, I'll check that out now, god they don't make it easy do they. . .

**UPDATE** yep there it is on my option list 4GP - Heat Insulating Glass LOL

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 8th December 2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 8th December 2015, 04:01 PM

You should be able to recode it to stay on for 10mins, as per standard glass.

This site gives a break down of the coding for the Air Con.

http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_10602.html

Ross tech web site has nothing.