A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 6th May 2016, 09:28 PM

They are tight, but with a little bit of GO IN YOU BUGGER! And a little tap they fit But don't try and fit them together until you have the plastic bit that goes between them!!!!

Yup re-use the bigger gear. Just follow the vid and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Takemetothepub; 6th May 2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 7th May 2016, 03:26 PM

Did it.
It works quietly.
SWMBO is a happy bunny.

BUT, again mine is different.
Once indoors, unit on the table and I found a piece of string fitted to it. Nobody has mentioned this so I have taken two photos.

First photo is a side view showing where one end of the string is fastened.

Second photo shows the "hook" on the motor that the other end of the string is hooked to. I have written hooked because it is obviously designed to come off the motor whilst the other end is permanently attached.

Now, conundrum, what is it for, why has nobody else spoken about it.
My supposition, and I am open to other explanations from the more knowledgeable folk on the forum, is that it is to hold the screen mounting frame in the "open" position whilst working on the unit. Well it did that perfectly for me. The loop that was on the motor was the exact length needed to do that job.

I have also realised why the video emphasises having the vents open whilst pulling them out of the dash. It is because the centre vents have two flaps that are closed/opened by an arm inside the dash. If the vents are not open when the vents are pulled out there is a chance you could break the mechanism. Likewise when pushing the vents back into the dash. Note that these flaps are connected on the vent body by a plastic link which was missing on one of mine. Then another magic moment, the other link was an exact double of a piece of plastic that I found soon after buying the car. Nobody on the forum could explain what it was but being a bit of a hoarder I put the said plastic thingy safe. This morning I went to the safe place and there it was. Tried it and now my vents open/close correctly. Note that this only applies to the inboard vents, the outer ones are purely mechanical.
It took a long time. I started at 06:00 and finished at 12:30. OK I stopped for breakfast when management came to see what I was up to. She had heared me drive the bus in but finally realised I had not returned to bed. (I might have slipped up there, but then again the 8 is rather important). I did have another 5 or twenty breaks for cuppas and tv watching and chats with passing neighbours.
Now she needs a bloodie good wash and brush up, the 8 is a bit dirty as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160507_083355[1].jpg
Views:	257
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	13294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160507_083424[1].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	13295  

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 7th May 2016, 05:54 PM

Ah mine had the string, was racking my brain trying to remember what it was that wasn't mentioned when I opened mine up. That's what it was.

Glad you got it sorted OK, did you use all the brass fittings or leave the motor one plastic?
Old 7th May 2016, 08:05 PM

Used all three gears. Plenty of grease. Moved it in & out manually for ten minutes before I fitted the motor. This took the burrs off the gear edges. I was tempted to run a fine file over them first 'cos of the slight burrs but on the day I was too lazy. Well I'd been out since 04:00.
Tomorrow we are up and out early for a Sunday, I am carrying The Standard at our annual memorial service at the National Memorial, Alrewas.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 7th May 2016, 08:27 PM

Glad you're all sorted Ray. All the best. John

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 8th May 2016, 10:08 PM

From a thing I read, the string is there to pull the screen up maybe.
Mine had the string but I couldn't see how it would work.

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 9th May 2016, 09:17 AM

In situ the string definitely does zilch, just looks sort of pretty
I used it to hold the screen frame steady whilst I worked on it.
It would be nice if some really clever Audi trained person came up with the real reason for a bit of string on a prestige motor.
After all my Opels of yore did not have string on them so it cannot be a German thing.

Last edited by tc4332; 9th May 2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 4th January 2022, 04:22 PM

My mmi screen is currently stuck half way, it started grinding a while back and was able to help it up prior to it being stuck.

I've sourced the brass parts and found a video showing how to remove trims to get mmi unit out.

The video on this thread can not be viewed and showing as private. Does it show how to change the gears? Anyone able to share the video if it does? Will i be able to remove the screen out with it being stuck in the half position?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th January 2022, 04:53 PM

One video on removing the screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWohs_QvEII

One video on changing the gears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0vHyFQ0CCY

and also a step by step guide with photos: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...tions-2849359/

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 4th January 2022, 07:11 PM

Thank you so much steamship! I'll give it a go in a few weeks and let you know how I get on.