A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 21st July 2021, 11:45 AM

Default MMI ECU replacement

Hi all. My MMI Multimedia Interface Control Module ECU has been on the blink for a few months now and I’ve tried, to no avail, to find a replacement. Our sponsors have these HW items but not with the correct SW number.

HW 40035729
SW number 4E0910769P

I was wondering if anyone knew if the SW number has to be exactly the same, as none I’ve seen online are, some end in H or Q for example. I’m not sure if either or neither of these would work.

All the best. John

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 21st July 2021, 01:44 PM

The only thing I can find is that part number 4E0910769P was replaced by part number 4E0910769PX. Can't find anything on what each variant has/does. There appears to have been several variants of this module in the D3, all of which have been superseded over the years to 4E0910769PX or 4E0910769QX.

It might be worth having a chat with Maria or one of the other team at A8parts, and see if they're willing to refund you if you get one from them and it doesn't work.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 21st July 2021, 02:28 PM

Cheers mate. Some more info to go on there. I did email our sponsors again, and Maria got straight back and they’ve got one. But it’s £250. I’m a tight wad, and don’t use the car so much just now; mostly it’s ok. So I’m not convinced replacing it will be the cure all.

So I’ll keep on the look out I think, cos online they seem to be cheaper. May even take a punt on one that’s SW is very similar.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 21st July 2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 23rd July 2021, 06:13 PM

Hi There,

I'm *STRUGGLING* with my MMI as per http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16341

I thought it was the gateway, coding or some such, but it has taken me down QUITE a rabbit hole.

I just ordered up one from ebay for about £50, which is

HW - 4E0035729A - You have 400 at the front 4E0 is typically the d3 audi.
SW - 4E0 910 732

Looking at reversing camera retrofits they are quite often swapped out for the A model, which has a green FBAS connector on it - Mine was already an A

Mine had SW 4E0 910 730

However a lot on ebay are A6's with 4F0 software but the same model number. How convertible they are i'm not sure.

I *MAY* hit component protection which is a dealer job or trying to copy a chip across - The programmer is cheap, so i've one on order
https://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/how-...ection-cp.html

I'd also add i'm VERY new to this MMI journey and i've read a lot, my head is spinning a bit, so please check stuff first to verify for yourself!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 23rd July 2021, 06:30 PM

Hi mate. I’ve ordered one from eBay too, and fear I may be descending down the very same EPROM, component protection rabbit hole!

The thing is I’ve used my car lots the last few days and it hasn’t put a foot wrong. Which leads me to think the cause could need more investigation. (I’m having audio drop outs) I’ve bought this, see attachment. Purportedly from an A8 with the FBAS.

I just don’t want to spend time and money and make it worse and then be stuck needing a trip to the stealers with a CP issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	933C43B4-A5DF-44BE-A201-2DC867AF72E8.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	26749  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 24th July 2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 4th August 2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Hi There,

I'm *STRUGGLING* with my MMI as per http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16341

I thought it was the gateway, coding or some such, but it has taken me down QUITE a rabbit hole.

I just ordered up one from ebay for about £50, which is

HW - 4E0035729A - You have 400 at the front 4E0 is typically the d3 audi.
SW - 4E0 910 732

Looking at reversing camera retrofits they are quite often swapped out for the A model, which has a green FBAS connector on it - Mine was already an A

Mine had SW 4E0 910 730

However a lot on ebay are A6's with 4F0 software but the same model number. How convertible they are i'm not sure.

I *MAY* hit component protection which is a dealer job or trying to copy a chip across - The programmer is cheap, so i've one on order
https://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/how-...ection-cp.html

I'd also add i'm VERY new to this MMI journey and i've read a lot, my head is spinning a bit, so please check stuff first to verify for yourself!

Well.....My issue was the buttons. Changed those and my MMI sprung back into life

However since i had the "new" head unit, i though i'd pop it in.....And well no music, speaker icon with a line through. The NAV voice did however work, so i'm guessing Component protection. And yes, a quick VCDS scan did show CP active!

I *THINK* there may be a different software version on the "new" head unit as i'm on 5570 looking at my old VCDS scans - I checked the coding and they WERE the same. Unsure if updating the software would unlock the CP or not.....But i've got the chip reader and i'm now curious, so will dump my rom and then transfer it to the new box and we'll see

Previous :

Also :
Old 4th August 2021, 04:12 PM

Eek. I admire your perseverance. The more I thought about the issue the less I’ve been inclined to do anything about it. All I have is a click and a few seconds of silence.

I’ve got the ECU, but can’t be bothered with CP and S/W incompatibilities so it’s on the shelf for now.

I hope you get yours fixed 100%.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 4th August 2021, 05:11 PM

My dad's A6 had an issue with the radio randomly coming on. it did show as a fault with the MMI in VCDS (can't remember the fault code) but I was advised by the garage it was in to stick some WD40 down there. I let the car go to sleep and then sprayed some of the WD40 contact cleaner and it has never done it again.

Not the same problems you guys have had but worth a try if there is any liquid that has gone down there or maybe a dirty contact?

As for CP, I think some people may be able to do it remotely but not too sure
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 4th August 2021, 06:10 PM

Oh my problem is fixed.....The buttons did that!

I've JUST managed to read the working firmware off my non CP working unit. Finding the right software/drivers for the programmer takes some doing and DAMN the holes are small for fitting the wires in - I had some fine multistrand stuff that i trimmed and made work, but even with a magnifier it took some doing!

Then the software is generally a bit bobbins, or maybe my wires or something. I could just about get a read in the first 10 seconds with most the software. I tried a couple of versions and a couple of different pieces of software. I've now got 5 identical files and you can read the serial number out, which matches with an old VCDS scan as well, so i'm pretty confident i've managed to back my eprom up. A WHOLE 8k file!!!

You need a fine T7 torq to get into the head unit itself and i think having the RIGHT size wire to start with would make it a fair bit easier, but in all honesty, it really isn't a job to do, unless you need to......Or you have an interest in it.

Previous :

Also :
Old 4th August 2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Unsure if updating the software would unlock the CP or not.....
Updating the software won't remove CP. You need someone who has ODIS and a genuine Geko certificate to remove it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds