A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 3rd January 2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluewhale View Post
Thanks for the response Nick

I don't think I've even got a windscreen clear button!
Where is it located?
Is it one of the six buttons on the centre dash above the stereo?
Think so. I have the usual rear window heater button and them somewhat to the left of this, in the same button bank there's the demist front window button. Similar logo to rear, but splayed front window style pict. This is the one that operates the front heater.
Best of luck with it
Old 4th January 2010, 09:24 AM

Not sure i get where this is still either...can you show us? Or better yet, take a picture?...would be interested to see what it looks like. I don't think i have a heated front windscreen...

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 4th January 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
Not sure i get where this is still either...can you show us? Or better yet, take a picture?...would be interested to see what it looks like. I don't think i have a heated front windscreen...

Hi Oli
Apols for my lack of clarity. I was sitting here typing up my answer and it was so frigging cold outside that I wimped out.
Your picture is perfect. The button I press to switch on the heated front screen is the one next to your passenger seat heater. Remember that you will need your aircon set on Auto (looks like yours is not, as I think you will find a yellow light by the word Auto when its on), the outside temp at about +2 or less and the engine cold. At which point, hopefully, a poke of that button will cause its little yellow led to blink slowly for the next couple of mins, whilst the hard stuff on your screen turns liquid and simply runs off. Magic!
Nice weather forcast(er) by the way
Nick

Last edited by tonupkid; 4th January 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator

A bit more info from us 'experts'....

The heated screen is quite rare, fitted to less than 5% of cars that we have dismantled.

From the inside, you will see no noticable difference. The heater controls are identical irrespective. The photos already posted show the standard controls which always show a heated screen button, but in cars with no heated screen it just diverts every ounce of heat available directly to the windscreen to clear it quickly. With a heated windscreen, it will clear a little quicker, but not enough improvement to warrant bothering to retrofit in my opinion.

Retrofit involve fitting a new screen (obviously) and also 4 wires, two to the bottom of the screen, and two to the top which then run back to the rear of the car the to the heated screen controller. Also, an output from the climate module that is used to tell the heated screen controller when it is sufficiently cold to be needed.

The only real way to spot a heated screen install (unless you're sad enough to spot the slight purply glaze of the front screen) is to look in the boot. From the factory, they get rid of that hopeless 4 lug divider and put in a decent cover instead:

It way, way better than the normal cover we get (dont know why we dont all get that one) and it is used to do a good job of covering the controller module which looks like this:

Its in the boot to connect directly to the battery, so lord only knows how much current that thing drains !!

Note, it also sits in the gap where the dealer fit rear seat entertainment DVD player goes, so you are unlikely to ever get both squeezed in there...

So, if you have a heated screen, your boot will look like above. If not, then I promise you, you dont
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heated Screen.jpg
Views:	5471
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	646   Click image for larger version

Name:	With cover.jpg
Views:	2136
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	647  

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 5th January 2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Ian...

I don't have one (as i'm sure you knew already)!

-Oli

PS - love the purple 8 in the pictures!

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 5th January 2010, 04:29 PM

I think I'll give this upgrade a miss then.

For the work involved it's probably not worth it.
Old 5th June 2013, 04:02 PM

I just retrofitted heated windscreen to my D2 and I wonder if someone knows 'message format' of signal on 'heating request' wire?

My hypothesis I'd that HVAC unit grounds that wire for the period it wants to head the windscreen (or perhaps connects that wire to +12v).

I though to install relay with a manual switch for that thing. With a timer of course.
Old 4th September 2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I just retrofitted heated windscreen to my D2 and I wonder if someone knows 'message format' of signal on 'heating request' wire?
Hi, I'm getting ready to do the retrofit myself. Were you able to prepare the wiring properly before you changed the windscreen? Or is that something that is better to do while the windscreen is removed? Any practical pointers are most welcome.

Last edited by ToreBj; 20th November 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 4th September 2013, 02:18 PM

Hello Norway,

I prepared wiring before I removed my old broken windscreen. I see no benefit of working through the opening when windscreen is out.

You will need two wires behind headliner in the area of rear view mirror, plus two more wires in right and left niches for A-pillar foundations.

Make sure you fix two wires in the niches to car chassis. This will prevent tearing off foil from windscreen in case if someone accidentally pull those wires.

Also, when you install A-pillar trims make sure they don't tear off foil by stretching electrical connection. Allow enough length of wire in the niche.

You can find 3 pictures here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....2&postcount=10

On 3rd picture you can see prepared wire in the A-pillar niche, ready to be connected.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

P.S. Heated windscreen is very power hungry. It draws 1000W. Control module that you will install in your boot is able to measure your battery voltage and it will gradually drop heating level from 1000W up to 200W or even switch off heating if your battery is weak and can't maintain voltage during heating. So, your battery should be well charged for maximum effect and should have good capacity. I upgraded my battery to allow heating to work and that involved changing battery tray/well. See this thread: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3787

Checking alternator and charging voltage would be great too.
Old 5th September 2013, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the very useful feedback. I feel now that I have sufficient overview to carry out the job. Since I got to see the pictures of the windscreen and where to lay the wires I don't have to go to the glass repair shop to verify the connections for the windshield.
I'm aware of the amp draw on this device and due to the fact that I frequently use the Webasto heater during the cold season I have already done some upgrades. I've installed a AGM-battery (Absorbent Glass Mat), which tolerate heavy discharges and will rebuild well. I've also changed my voltage regulator on the alternator to one with an external adjustment. This also has the temperature/voltage compensation giving a higher voltage at low temperatures. I've adjusted it while measuring on the the battery poles until I got about 14.3- 14.4 V. I verified this with the Audi dealership and they said in general the electronics can accept up to 15V. Obviously the voltage will be higher by the engine due to the voltage drop from the alternator to the battery which is in the back. I may have to replace some bulbs more often, but my battery seems to have good capacity whenever I run my Webasto which would otherwise stop due to the low voltage supervison cut-off.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback!