A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 1st September 2011, 12:06 PM

Default Offset question

Quick query, which I think I know the answer to but would like confirmation from someone else!

Been offered a set of winter wheels and tyres, but the rims are off a B5 RS4. The offset is ET20, which I THINK means they will stick out an extra 25mm each side compared to my ET45 20s? Can anyone confirm I've got that the right way round, or if it might be feasible to fit them?

I know I could try them on the car to check, but they're half way up country and don't know anyone with an early RS4 down here to borrow a wheel off to check!

Conan suggested to me that ET35-45 would be fine, so suspect these will be too much.....

Adrian
Old 1st September 2011, 04:04 PM

You're correct. The lower the ET value, the further out the wheels will sit in relation to your wheel arches.

Winter driving + salt + wheels outside your D2's wheel arches = grit-blasted paintwork.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 1st September 2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
You're correct. The lower the ET value, the further out the wheels will sit in relation to your wheel arches.

Winter driving + salt + wheels outside your D2's wheel arches = grit-blasted paintwork.
Almost correct. your ET does not mean it sits further out, as if the wheel is skinner it might sit in the same place with a lower ET

0 ET is where the hub face sits exactly centre of the wheel. positive and that face moves to the outer edge of the wheel and negative means it moves towards the inside edge.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

Last edited by FireStorm; 1st September 2011 at 04:17 PM.