A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 3rd July 2013, 09:38 PM

I've ordered the michelin pilot super sports £600 which I think is good price after my own experience with cheap tyres.
Brand new Kenda, dangerous removed them after less than 1000 miles rubbish in the dry,wet,
Triangle came on a set of wheels I bought for my Vito possibly the worst tyres I've ever driven on! good job the first corner was a big empty roundabout! Sold to me by a friend who never warned me! The tyres looked almost new and it turns out they had been on 3 cars before mine and all 3 removed them very quickly!!!
Kingstar really good very grippy and actually put the van on 2 wheels on one corner!
Cheers Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir WIll View Post
Arrowspeed is a Goodyear/ Dunlop brand
this suggests they are made by Nexen,

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/20243.html

also if you Google images for Nexen N1000 and then Arrowspeed N1000 you get the these pictures, looks pretty much the same tyre IMHO
Attached Files
File Type: doc tyres.doc (88.5 KB, 256 views)

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:47 PM

that link above may require a log in sorry

copy of article below

"What Car?’s tyre test team make a good point highlighting the differences between some premium and budget products in their recent tyre test. But it appears they went a step too far when they entitled the feature “why budget tyres could kill” lumping the three cheaper products (Arrowspeed, Ovation and Sunew) together in the their final conclusion. It might sound a touch pedantic, but the addition of the word “some” in the headline may have been fairer as this would have avoided generalising about the overall quality of tyres. It didn’t take long after Tyres & Accessories reported on the tests on our daily e-Newsletter for the manufacturers involved to take up their right to reply. The Korean manufacturer behind Kwik-Fit’s popular Arrowspeed tyre brand arguably has the best case for disputing being tarred with the saw low-budget brush as the Ovation and the Sunew tyres.

This extract from What Car? highlights how the magazine presented its results: “We pitted three premium tyres against three budget alternatives in a series of braking tests, and the results were shocking. In the wet, the budget tyres took an average of 14 metres – the length of an articulated lorry – longer than the premium tyres to pull up from 70mph….In the dry the differences weren’t as vast, but the worst budget tyre still took up to five metres longer to stop than the top premium brand. That could easily be the difference between a nasty accident and escaping with just sweaty palms.”

The fact is the fascinating What Car? test results tell a story that is actually far more nuanced than the premium-good-budget-bad conclusion suggests. Rather it appears that there are three bands of performance and cost – premium, mid-range and budget. The results clearly show that at £70 each the most expensive tyres tested (the Michelins) were either top or second in everywhere category. But what they don’t show is that there is no direct correlation between price and quality, despite the report seeming to suggest this.

If this thesis was true you could reasonably expect tyres costing twice as much (as the Michelin’s do over the Sunews) to perform twice as well. This pretty much is the case in What Car?’s wet braking test, but that is where support for the theory runs out. The Arrowspeeds are a third cheaper than the test winner and only £7 a corner more expensive than the Sunews, but are 14.2 metres ahead of the worst wet weather tyre tested, 7.8 metres better than the identically priced Ovations and only 3.9 metres behind the Continentals. True this is a distance equivalent to an estate car, but based on price difference between best and worst alone, the tyres actually performed twice as well as they mathematically should have done.

There is further evidence to support this in the dry braking results. Here the second most expensive tyre tested (Goodyear’s Optigrip - £60) actually came second from bottom, equal with the Ovations. Both with a 53.4 metre stopping distance, which was just 50cm ahead of the Arrowspeeds. In this test the cheapest tyre tested (the Sunew) actually stopped 1.7 metres ahead of Goodyear, blowing the budget versus premium generalisations out of the water.

Something similar occurred in the lateral gip test where the whole test range was within 0.07g and the bottom four were separated by just 0.02g. This time round Arrowspeed were found to be joint third place with Goodyear on 0.75g – a product that is £26 per corner more expensive.

Right to reply

With this in mind you can see why a manufacturer like Nexen objected to a “very aggressive” headline calling its tyres lethal. Here’s how one company representative candidly interpreted the results: “Drying braking: OK it is not a great result for Arrowspeed, but we have to consider that Arrowspeed is not far away from Goodyear’s result. Wet braking: Arrowspeed is the best out of the lower priced brands and also not far away from the other premium brands such as Continental. Lateral grip: close to all premium-brands and the same result as Goodyear. Noise very good result, better than Michelin and Goodyear and same result as Continental”

The company also points out that “considering all factors, including price-offer, the Arrowspeed – tyre has the best price-performance – relation in the test.” When you consider that other leading magazine tyre tests do take price into account, this is also a valid point. What Car? may have drawn their conclusions purely from the test data, but on another day in another magazine, this tyre would almost certainly have appeared much higher up the table.

However, the final word should really go to the test winner Michelin whose Pilot Sport 3 tyre came out as a clear winner. Michelin UK car tyre marketing manager Jianni Geras said: “Although we are obviously very pleased that the Pilot Sport 3 was the clear winner in this test, the poor performance of the budget brands is very alarming. It’s clear from this that the large investment we make in R&D is hugely beneficial to drivers and this doesn’t even take into account the environmental performance of our tyres in terms of improved fuel efficiency and class leading longevity.”

Old 3rd July 2013, 09:48 PM

Arrowspeeds are a Goodyear brand, Google/ wiki confirms that also.

Anyway, all I can say is they are good for the money
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:01 PM

There is a horses for courses argument here... Though I did have Pirelli P6000 on a car a few years ago (Rover 620ti), and in the wet the thing was deadly, just washed out on the merest hint of power in the wet, so a lot of how the tyre behaves (or seems to) is down to the car and how you drive it too. If you know that you have budgets on, you'll give more space in the wet.

I know.. I know..

Old 4th July 2013, 07:47 AM

I have run Ovation tyres on my 8 and this is what i thought in 2011.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ovation&page=2

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 4th July 2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I have run Ovation tyres on my 8 and this is what i thought in 2011.
bloody good value too at £3.24 a set

http://cartyresmadesimple.com/ovatio...-6953913150000

Old 4th July 2013, 10:20 AM

Ordered myself 4 sets

Though they are expensive for the other tyres... Barum Bravuris @ 220 each, I paid 180 for one at National a wee while back (emergency swap from puncture and no spare).

I know.. I know..

Old 4th July 2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Ordered myself 4 sets

Though they are expensive for the other tyres... Barum Bravuris @ 220 each, I paid 180 for one at National a wee while back (emergency swap from puncture and no spare).
barum bravuris sounds like some sort of illness LOL

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 4th July 2013, 07:17 PM

Funnily enough my 8,s booked for four Michelin Super Sports first thing tomorrow morning.
I did a fair bit of research first, only found four brands with the tyres I need. Dunlop (the quietest) had the worst grip. Yokahoma and Pirelli, I've had both before on this car. Both are OK but nothing special, so tomorrow Michelin.
Be interesting to compare.