A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 3rd April 2014, 08:25 PM

Question HELP with Mrs Golf needed, please

Hi everyone.

As per title, I'd like to ask for your help/guidance as unfortunately I am not a very good mechanic. I understand what the errors are about (more less), but thats about it. I'm able to replace lambda sensor, solve the misfire and locate EGR, but understanding of how they relate to each other in case one of them fails is pretty equal to 0

VW Golf IV 1.4 petrol

Address 01: Engine Labels: 036-906-032-AXP.lbl
Part No: 036 906 032 L
Component: ME7.5.10 3869
Coding: 00031
Shop #: WSC 00117
VCID: 193922F183164CD67C9-5140
WVWZZZ1JZ2P272855 VWZ7Z0A4403030

4 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1
P0301 - 35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent
17604 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B1 S1
P1196 - 35-10 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent
16785 - EGR System
P0401 - 35-00 - Insufficient Flow
Readiness: 0000 0000

My first and only one for now question is: Could a misfire on a cylinder 1 possibly cause other two errors to come on, lambda and EGR, or could wrong reading on lambda sensor make EGR to not work properly and cause misfire, and finally, or could EGR cause a misfire on a cylinder 1 and lambda sensor to fail/read incorrect values????

Any input before I start digging will be VERY much appreciated

I haven't driven the car yet, but engine is just doesn't sound right. I've asked Mrs if car has less power or if she noticed any difference since the light came on the dashboard, and she said not really !!!! Really??? Don't take me wrong, but if I would remove the windscreen completely and ask if she can feel/notice any difference, the answer would be probably: Not really

And on that note I'd like to Thank You ALL for your time and any input.
Cheers

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 4th April 2014, 04:01 PM

Come on guys...I know it hasn't got 4 rings BUT I know you know the answer to it, or at least have some advice.
I don't trust many people, especially when 3 vw forums says one thing and one something different and thats when I'm lost as this sort of mechanical repairs are not my thing, but I trust your expertise guys very much
So don't be shine, know one will dislike you for helping to a VW owner

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 4th April 2014, 05:41 PM

Lambda sensor fault is not critical, it's just for the heater so it will take longer for lambda to start working on cold starts say 2 minutes instead of 20 secs.

The first to look at is cylinder 1 misfire and it can be causing multiple cylinder misfires. Check spark plug, ignition coil, injector and wiring for cylinder 1.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 4th April 2014, 08:33 PM

....aaaaaaand we finally broke the ice

Cheers ainarssems, I appreciate it

I will play with it tomorrow.
Changing lambda sensor shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Year ago I did a full service on it inc. spark plugs inc all the wires for it and stuff such as new discs and pads, clutch, engine and gearbox oil/filter, water pump, alternator belt, cambelt, thermostat, all fluids all round and on and on and on.
Everything was fine till this week.

How about EGR, could this fault be related to misfire???

What shall I look for when checking injectors and other bits?? I know this may sound silly but I'm just not good in the engine area, sorry.

Thanks once again

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 5th April 2014, 07:39 AM

Start with checking all the plugs, make sure they are correctly and fully plugged, check for water ingress/corrosion. Check wires for visual damage. Then move to swapping parts between cylinders-spark plugs, coils, injector one at the time and see if cylinder 1 misfire moves to another cylinder together with the part.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 5th April 2014, 08:05 AM

Has the car been serviced regularly? Had a fuel filter recently? Not gad bad furl put in it etc?

Old 5th April 2014, 02:18 PM

I'd check the coil packs.

Swap them over and see if the error for the miss fire comes back on another cylinder.

EGR could just need a clean.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 5th April 2014, 03:58 PM

Guys, THANK YOU to all of you

Unfortunately I'm still laying in the bed and can't move because of the cold I got two days ago. Will jump on it probably on Monday.

Del, I simply don't know. When Mrs passed her driving license year ago I promised to her I give her a 1k for some basic car so she can get use to driving. Idea was to get some destruction derby style car so I wont get heart attack each time she scratch it. It was a right decision as in first few months she already tried to move couple of walls in local car park.

I told her to buy a German car but not with a high mileage, and she came back home with a 1.4 petrol Golf with 150k on the clock, first car she viewed

Thats why straight away I replace almost everything from clutch to all the belts, brakes etc.

As she still hasn't finished her PA courses, she decided to keep it for another year,, but car is close to its end.

One thing I haven't replaced is the mentioned EGR, plugs, coils and all the wiring has been replaced. Plus I treated car with a Terraclean and told her to keep filling up with Vpower not some cheap petrol.

Anyway, I will follow your advice guys as soon I get better, Thank You once again
And will update you as soon I find the problem.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 6th April 2014, 10:41 PM

Oh man, I just re read my post, keyboards and beer should never be mixed.

You could donate the 8 to the wife and by that black s8 that roberto posted

Old 7th April 2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Oh man, I just re read my post, keyboards and beer should never be mixed.

You could donate the 8 to the wife and by that black s8 that roberto posted
I already tried few times but, one, she is scared as hell to drive it, too big (she says that about other ''stuff'' as well ), two, I wouldn't be able do it, I want to live a long life not to have 12 heart attacks before hitting 50 as she would scratch wheels, doors, bumpers and good knows what else on monthly basis, three, we will be buying house in couple of years, plus we already have 1000s of pounds planned on all sort of entertainments/holidays/stuff and she will need new (much better) car this year as well, soooo I may have to stick with my 8 for some time now.
It's a well looked after car, I'm looking after it as well plus it cost me so much money each year (last year upgrades plus running cost just under £11.5k)
It would be a great financial loss selling it or donating in current circumstances and plans ahead.
And for money she plans to spend on next car I would buy and decent 8 if she would adopt mine.

Anyway, will update you guys as soon I get round her Golf.

BTW, I read your post couple of times but I got it.
Not gad bad furl put in it etc? translates to Not had bad fuel put in it etc?

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10

Last edited by M-A8; 7th April 2014 at 04:05 PM.