A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 12th June 2009, 12:29 AM

Default Air rides

Just a quick as i heard loads of u wanting to do this. Someone i know is starting up a new venture. He will be doing air that is or as close as bolt on as u can get for all models.He has Jag signed up to give him a 1yr demo car, plus 1 other company in pipe line. He will be supplying them only, but as Tony knows, yer u guessed it Tony. i know a man that can fit if needed LOL.
Theses air kits r the dogs xxxxxxx so i been told. Ive seen it in action, but prefer my juice setup in van
Old 12th June 2009, 10:44 AM

http://www.a8-freunde.com/thread.php...ilight=airride

Audi S8 manual, 1996 <- much fun
Kawasaki ZX9-R 2001 <- much more fun
always remember:ficken!
Old 12th June 2009, 10:57 AM

I'm interested in air, depends how low it can go and what the ride is like when it is at the height I want to drive it at. Some of the setups my friends have are far too bouncy when driving it low(ish) as there is next to no air in the bags?

I'm going to be driving it as low as possible and then raise it if I have to when i come to speedbumps etc...
I also want to be able to lay frame once I stop (which wont be hard, as i'm already nearly laying frame as it is - hence subframe swap that i'm doing)

Has he done any d2 a8's already?
Old 12th June 2009, 12:16 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

My ultimate mod.....

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 12th June 2009, 12:42 PM

I've spoken to Rayvern about getting a system made... all my friends cars are running his setups and well they aint overly impressed. A lot of leaks, problems and extreme bouncyness.
I'm talking to G.A.S (german air ride systems) at the moment via e-mail and i'll see what they can do - they have done several audi a8 d2's before
Old 12th June 2009, 01:38 PM

Well this person has been doing this sort of things for ages but mainly juice all the stuff is going to be USA stuff So the proper stuff made for the job. Unlike most of the kits u can get. He said each kit gets modded for each car so its as bolt on as u can get. As some of u know ive been into up and down rides for sometime. One thing u should think about tho bfore doing this is it isnt always + things to do it. think of the bad sides as they do happen LOL
Air leaks, valves sticking, bags leaking and so on not always a fixable on side of road. If it goes to full drop cant get it on lowloader or drive it home. If u got it that low, u can only drive it in straight lines due to not been able to clear arch with wheel. Can put a stop on it so u can still drive it on full drop, but most want it to kiss the deck when on show, wheels tucked rite inside arches.
Only pointing this out to you, so you know its not all bed of roses when its done. God i wish it was. The amount of times i wished i hadnt done it.
When it does work rite the smile it puts on my face when u see people watch me going down the RD/Motorway (in traffic jams) on 3 wheels and so on
would i do it to MRS A8?? NO NO NO NO NO NO ide luv to.Knowing its not bed of roses when fitted No way. I like driving the A8 knowing when i go out i dont havto worry about car dropping looking for leaks at side of RD. Recovery truck not been able to get it on truck due to how low it is.( keep blocks of wood in boot LOL)

Its not just theses after market kits. Ask Audi Allroader owners LOL when they play up most convert back to normal suspenion. Due to the cost and how often they play up.

Last edited by A8 Owner; 12th June 2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12th June 2009, 02:10 PM

Do you have air on your A8?
Old 12th June 2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGray View Post
Do you have air on your A8?
No not on A8 ive got my show van on juice. finished another project (show car) with mate on Air tho, as didnt want to go juice Route, due to the room it takes up and the ride u get, plus all the problems u seem to get with juice. So we went air route on it. Still has its fair share of breakdowns. After each show he takes it to, it has strip down to make sure all is fine for next show.
Problems/breakdowns he has had this season so far.
2x check valves (cleaned out and fixed on way to show)
1x pressure release valve ( just diconnected compressor at show)
1x compressor motor ( on display all day went to lift car to drive Somthing in motor packed up, leaving it on full drop and not drivable. recovery job
1x pipe burst on front (due to pressure release valve failing) recovery job

Not trying to put u lot off, its u never here about this side of things.
Dont forget this is a show car, not a daily car.
My van is/was a daily van as well as shows. Lowriders in my case r more for shows and weekends than daily use.
Old 12th June 2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGray View Post
I've spoken to Rayvern about getting a system made... all my friends cars are running his setups and well they aint overly impressed. A lot of leaks, problems and extreme bouncyness.
I'm talking to G.A.S (german air ride systems) at the moment via e-mail and i'll see what they can do - they have done several audi a8 d2's before
company u mention i agree with u about the setups there not the real deal, They work. His juice systems r alot of parts from jcb/factory machinery sort of things, not proper lowrider stuff, tho he does deal with blackmagic in usa i think it is.
For the probs your mates get it isnt all the kit, it called life with air/juice as i said
Old 18th June 2009, 11:14 AM

Yeah I agree with you
My car is a show car so I dont mind if I get the odd problem... but for the money i'm going to be paying I want a reliable and decent setup.
I dont rely on my car for work so I can put up with some sort of issues now and then.

Got a reply from GAS

Quote:
Hello Mister Gray,

thank you for your interest into our G.A.S. German Airride System.

We can offer you for your Audi A8 our GAS-airride-system V2 with adjustable Koni shock-absorbers.

I add you 2 pictures from another Audi A8 which our airride-system is installed inside the car.

The standard-V2-kit costs 2.699 Euro + 100 Euro deposit for the shock-absorber-brackets + shipping-costs to UK 80,00 Euro
(2 big packages)

The complete kit contains the air-generating-kit and the shock-absorber-kit.

The standard-air-generating-kit contains the aircompressor Viair 350c silver, 11,5l-aluminium-airtank silver (3 gallon), magnet-valves,
airhoses, electrical hoses, gauge, fittings....

The 350c is a small aircompressor, but you can move your car up and down.

But because the Audi A8 has a lot of weight, the compressor will pump all the time. I would recommend you a bigger airtank and a bigger aircompressor for the move of the car.

I would recommend you the following combinations:
a) compressor Viair 460c chrome + 15l airtank silver or chrome-optik (4 gallon)
or
b) compressor Viair 480c chrome + 15l or 19l airtank (silver or chrome-optik) (4 or 5 gallon)

Here are the extra-charges for the bigger compressor or bigger airtanks by the kit:
* compressor Viair 460c chrome = 138,00 Euro
* compressor Viair 480c chrome = 179,00 Euro
* airtank 15l silver = 55,00 Euro
* airtank 15l chrome = 105,00 Euro
* airtank 19l silver = 69,00 Euro
* airtank 19l chrome = 119,00 Euro

In this case we will deliver instead of the standard-compressor Viair 350c silver, per example the Viair 480c or instead of the
standard-airtank 3 gallon silver, per example the 19l silver.

All our airtanks were aluminium-airtanks, so they didnīt rost. We donīt use steel-airtanks like other airride-producers.

All the prices were inclusive the german taxes of 19%.

We have the kit on stock.

If you have any questions or if you would like to order one kit, please let me know.

Thanks.

Best regards
Dagmar

--
G.A.S. German Airride Systems
Inhaber Johann Kerler
Fraunhoferstr. 74

D-87700 Memmingen
Tel.Nr. + 49 (0) 8331 / 8 33 39 15
Fax.Nr. + 49 (0) 8331 / 8 33 39 17
www.Luftfahrwerke.de

Amtsgericht Memmingen, DE813963805