A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 15th February 2016, 06:28 PM

Default Mobius dashcam install

I have been reading dashcam reviews for ages, in the end I chose the relatively cheap Mobius camera based on some review which claim it is reliable long term.

I have been thinking where to run the wiring for a permanent installation. After looking through wiring diagrams I chose the driver's reading light switch.
It has a 12V feed, and can be operated with the switch so the camera can be switched off manually. Also I was hoping to avoid most of the pain of removing various trims to run the wire from the fuse box or cigarette lighter all the way to the roof.

Audi wiring diagrams are very frustrating. They mention one reading light plug 4-pin coming into the reading light switches, but neglect to mention the 5-wire plug going from the switches to the lights. Naturally this 5-pin plug has completely different wire colours to the 4-pin plug which feeds some wires directly into it anyway (??? thanks Audi)
So I had to use a bit of guesswork and an amp meter to figure out which wire supplied power to the driver's reading lamp in the central rearview mirror.
It turns out the red wire in the picture is an un-switched +12V feed, and the 3rd pin the green wire is the ground for the driver's side reading light. Hopefully that's all it is

Luckily i had some spare wires with the same pins, so I removed the 3rd green wire from the plug after the switches going into the mirror housing. I inserted my own wire and pin going to the negative terminal of the dash-cam lighter socket charger.
For the + feed I soldered a wire to the red pin-1 plug and soldered the other end to the + terminal of the cam charger.
The reading light no longer works but the switch now operates the dash cam charger. Working fine so far for a brief test run.
Let me know if I messed someting up, the wiring diagram is painfully confusing showing 6 light bulb type object where as there are only two reading lights in the mirror housing???

Where I got stuck is trying to prize open the plastic surround around the light switch and rearview mirror. I need just a little gap to feed through the usb power plug and cable to reach the camera at the top of the windscreen. I unbolted the two hex bolts visible under the light switch cover but that seems to have no effect, the damn thing won't budge.
Please let me know if you know how to remove this pesky plastic trim.

To be continued...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius install 1.jpg
Views:	4058
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	12432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius install 2.jpg
Views:	3156
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	12433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius install 3.jpg
Views:	3484
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	12434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius install A8 wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	19048
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	12435  
Old 15th February 2016, 07:02 PM

Here is the first picture with some wire labels (my interpretation).

Also, out of curiosity anyone know how to remove the little light bulbs in the mirror housing? The transparent plastic hatch is easy to remove but fingers won't fit in there to pull out the bulb.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius install wire lables.JPG
Views:	3737
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	12436  
Old 15th February 2016, 07:16 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

On the topic of the bulbs, Brian posted on this some time ago IIRC, he used long nosed pliers with the jaws padded with foam or something similar
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 15th February 2016, 07:50 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Does the cigar lighter lead have a mini USB on the other end?

My dash cam (a Transcend 220) did. So rather than attempt to tuck away the cigar lighter plug like that, I purchased a USB lead and DC-DC regulator.

This was the lead I bought, though this has a right-angled USB plug. I you need a right-angled plug check the bend direction is right for you (right-angled USB plugs are available in left and right bend):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058TW7WC

I used a DC-DC regulator like this (can't find the exact one):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GXXFBC0

I fitted the regulator (with an inline fuse) in the driver's foot-well fuse area. Then I ran the lead up behind the A-post trim, then tucked it under the roof-lining along the top of the windscreen. The trim can be a bit difficult to prize back far enough in places, but once done the cable is complete concealed except for the inch or two where it connects to the dash cam.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 15th February 2016, 11:40 PM

You could also take the gubbins out of the cig lighter adapter and just wrap it up in tape. They're usually only the size of a large stamp. That's how my fixed phone charger bracket runs in my A6

Without following all the tracks, I'd say some of the surplus lamps in your diagram are probably for switches, rather than bulbs you can get to.

Elsawin implies that the mirror has to come off before that trim will move. Its not very clear on how though - "use screwdriver to lever out interior mirror on left side between mounting plate and mirror base"
Old 16th February 2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Elsawin implies that the mirror has to come off before that trim will move. Its not very clear on how though - "use screwdriver to lever out interior mirror on left side between mounting plate and mirror base"
The mirror is on like a ball bearing mount and if you lever it hard enough will come off by levering forwards or backwards but it's a real pig to get back in again due to how hard the springs are on the ball bearing mechanism. I used a towel to protect the mirror whilst I levered it back on with both hands

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 16th February 2016, 06:51 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
if you lever it hard enough will come off by levering forwards or backwards but it's a real pig to get back in again
Yeah, ain't it just!

Knocked my mirror off while I was out once. Spent half an hour in a car park trying to get the damn thing back on!

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 16th February 2016, 10:25 AM

+1 on that Mark & Neil.
I knocked mine off when I was connecting my dash cam supply from the four pin socket in the roof electrics. The supply there is ignition fed and is ideal for my Roadhawk HD2 camera, and there is more than enough space for the voltage dropper.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 16th February 2016, 10:40 AM

Heres the spring in question shown on top of the mirror for clarity (this one is D2 but the principle is the same on both)

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 16th February 2016, 10:49 AM

It all seems a bit of a faff when for £15 Nextbase sell a kit which includes transformer, piggy back fuse holder and plenty of cable witha standard micro?/mini? USB plug at the end. I used that and just gently pushed it behind the roof and A pillar lining takaing it down to the driver's side fuse panel where I pluuged it into a suitable fuse socket. Must have taken me around 20mins.