A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 3rd December 2018, 01:27 AM

Default Looking Some Assistance in Stripping Electrical Loom

Currently working on one of the retrofits, and looking for a bit of assistance. Because of the complexities and options available on the D3, a retrofit isn't such an easy task, what with all the electrics.

I've gone through the two relevant looms and identified what I need to swap around between them. I'm just wondering what others have done in such a situation. I've seen the videos of people making the looms on a table, which has fittings to keep everything in place.

I only need to strip back about half of the loom, but don't want to end up with a pile of spaghetti at the end of the day. I had thought of using a sheet of plywood and hammering nails in at strategic locations, but can't figure out how to keep things in place.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:59 AM

Crocodile clips or clothes pegs at intervals along the main lengths of the loom until you are ready to tape it back up can work well.
Lots of photos/labels so you know what’s what.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:48 AM

Velcro cable ties
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Brilliant idea, and cheap enough that I could nail them in place to ensure everything is nice and taut.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 3rd December 2018, 09:45 PM

Good luck with the loom Sean.
As usual, slow, easy and methodically.
Plenty notes, labels and photos.
You can do it, you're organised.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
You can do it, you're organised.
You ain't seen my house in a while

Definitely taking it easy. Got the parts at the start of March (remember the big black obelisk), and just started on the job at the start of December. What are the chances of me getting it complete before the annual meet in June 2019?

Old 4th December 2018, 04:48 PM

Why go to the length of stripping the loom, can't you just add what you need and cloth tape it to the existing loom

Old 4th December 2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Why go to the length of stripping the loom, can't you just add what you need and cloth tape it to the existing loom
I need to remove part of my existing loom and add that to the 'new' one I have for the retrofit, which also has a not so similar section of loom that would no longer be required.

I'm taking the 'lung transplant' approach whereby the useless lung is removed completely and replaced, as opposed to the 'kidney transplant' approach whereby they leave the useless kidney in place and just add the replacement. It was the best analogy I could come up with.

Old 4th December 2018, 06:20 PM

Fair enough, lot o work mind.

Look forward to the pics of progress