A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 6th January 2018, 06:51 PM

Default Nextbase 512GW Dashcam Installation

Hi all,

First of all, Happy New Year.

I have just purchased the above dash cam, along with hardwire kit and 32gb card.

I have just read the other install instructions a couple of posts below and have a few questions.

I don’t have the garage door opener, so would there still be the required bits of the harness up there to tap into, how do I remove the overhead console to get at this, and lastly I am also considering the item below, which if there is room could be installed instead of the hardwire kit and then just a short external usb to mini-usb cable connecting from this to the dashcam. My thoughts are, if I am going to drill a hole in the console, I may as well make it universal with the option of leaving in situ once I sell the car on in the future, rather than leaving a hole or the dashcam installed.

any thoughts, hints, tips etc.

http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/index....roducts_id=663

Cheers
Mark.
Old 6th January 2018, 10:38 PM

I'm not sure if there is an alternative switched live source without the homelink, would need to check the wiring diagram or just break our a meter!?

I didn't drill anything, the cable fitted "down the edge" nicely. In any case, a USB socket up there would probably put me off a used car as screams "modified" wiring to me..... but each to their own
Old 6th January 2018, 10:56 PM

Thanks Paul, sounds like the USB option is not a good one then - I had assumed you had drilled a hole and put a grommet the same as the link in the Blackvue post.

Can you recall how to remove the overhead console so that I can have a poke in there with a meter to see if there is a switched feed anywhere - maybe the sunroof?

Cheers
Mark
Old 6th January 2018, 11:22 PM

From memory, a single torx screw behind the sun glasses holder - I can take a look tomorrow if you can't see it
Old 7th January 2018, 07:02 AM

Thanks Paul, I will take a look later on when it gets a little warmer.

Cheers
Mark
Old 7th January 2018, 04:24 PM

As always, Sod’s Law has played its hand. Went to car a little earlier to open up the sunglasses holder and it wouldn’t open - I don’t recall ever having tried it before, as from my last D4, I knew that my sunglasses don’t fit. After a little pressing etc it came open, I saw the Torx head screw, but haven’t touched it, as the sunglasses holder now won’t stop up, so going to have to get this fixed under warranty first, as don’t want to show any evidence of messing in there, even though I haven’t.

It is now taped up to stop it fouling the rear view mirror - which looking at it must also have a 12v switched feed to it, as it lights up when you turn the car on.
Old 7th January 2018, 09:50 PM

The good news is the clip to fix that is very cheap
Old 8th January 2018, 07:29 PM

Hi Paul,

I have a problem with my boot too, probably a boot control module issue, so my great local dealer is going to fix both and also fit the dashcam for me at the same time.

Cheers
Mark
Old 8th January 2018, 11:10 PM

That’s good service! Based upon your location, I’d guess Swindon Audi - I have only ever had a couple of experiences with them, but both good!
Old 9th January 2018, 06:44 AM

Hi Paul,

Good guess, but no, Tetbury is my dealer of choice - can’t praise them high enough with experience of both my own cars and work fleet. They always go above and beyond. I have one driver who travels down from near Nottingham to use them too, all out of choice.

You will read in another of my posts the lengths they went to in order to find a prop shaft drone issue on my last D4.

Will report back once all sorted.

Cheers
Mark