A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 21st August 2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
It was my excuse for buying my S8 in the first place (it was the perfect answer to the question 'what's the stupidest/least appropriate car with a V8 I can buy for less than £10k, on the basis it'll make a brilliant kiddy chariot')

My wife never bought in to this argument......

Similar to me. We didn't want an MPV or similar (my wife likes saloon cars most) but wanted a big boot and I wanted a powerful Audi for under £6k. Fits the bill perfectly and my wife is happy driving it and has taken to the auto box nicely, even if I can't get her to use the kick-down yet!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 21st August 2020, 11:37 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
It was my excuse for buying my S8 in the first place (it was the perfect answer to the question 'what's the stupidest/least appropriate car with a V8 I can buy for less than £10k, on the basis it'll make a brilliant kiddy chariot')
Having zero paternal instincts and no kids, my reasoning was somewhat simpler. I wanted a nice big luxurious barge that was also fun to drive. And, in the unlikely event I'd ever have to take someone else's snotty kids somewhere, I figured the boot was big enough for at least 2 of them
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 21st August 2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
...I figured the boot was big enough for at least 2 of them
You can do much better than that according to Robert de Niro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d_22U8OW2I

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 21st August 2020, 12:28 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
You can do much better than that according to Robert de Niro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d_22U8OW2I
Wow, a movie featuring a D2 that I haven't seen! Gonna have to watch that one

And yes but I was being considerate ... You know, giving them a little room to play (not to mention keeping them in an alive state).

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 21st August 2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Wow, a movie featuring a D2 that I haven't seen!
Check out '3 Days to Kill' and 'From Paris with Love'.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd August 2020, 07:09 AM

Thanks for all the input folks.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:45 AM

This simple request for advice has garnered some really responsible and straight laced replies.
On the other hand some very humorous truths have surfaced.
In all honesty I love this Forum and it's members, keeping me sane during the current problems.
Back on point, Jordan usually travels in front with me unless watching a video and I leave the airbags on. Thinking that overall it is the safer way.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:01 PM

I used to visit volvo in sweden and asked this question of one of the engineers
response ? the switch off system on the front passenger seat is so you can fit a rear facing child seat , the only time you should disactivate with a front passenger ; if the passenger is too small they must sit in the back

seems sensible to me
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:05 PM

Exactly my thoughts Ray. Invaluable responses, all appreciated.

Jordan is a big lad too isn’t he, albeit with a few years on Tom.

OldNick, what constitutes too small?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 22nd August 2020, 01:36 PM

Well this has got me thinking as I too have the passener airbad turned off most of the time, so dare I suggest it, I decided to RTFM

I have two boys, 4 and 2 years old. Both love to ride in the front in a forward facing seat in both my Q7 and RS4, according to Recaro front seat is fine for this seat https://www.recaro-kids.uk/monza-nova-is.html

The Q7 manual states in the "deactivating passenger airbag" section, "If you have no alternative but to install a rear facing child seat on the front passenger seat you must deactivate the airbag" - "Turn it back on ASAP"....

As Volvo has been mentioned also, I took a look on their website for the XC90 manual, which again shows only to disable for rear facing only..... https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ar-s-seatbelts

I keep the seat positioned rearward already, so maybe, I should turn it back on and then when SWMBO gets to ride up front it is one less thing to remember.... maybe

"Too small" is probaby covered here now, https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules, "Children must normally use a child car seat until they’re 12 years old or 135 centimetres tall, whichever comes first".