A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 2nd April 2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
With the aluminium bar bracing the chassis do you need a brace on the subframe? I have both on mine and wondering why.
The subframe brace is now fitted to this one. The two bars actually achieve different functions - the one on the subframe takes the load from the rear control arms, whereas the smaller one behind it is solidly attached to the floorpan so is bracing the tunnel opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
You must mean this one?
That will buff out????
That one I still have as a reference for the original factory finish, but I bought a single painted wheel to replace it, and I've sort of lost it I'll have a hunt for it today - it can't have gone far...
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The subframe brace is now fitted to this one. The two bars actually achieve different functions - the one on the subframe takes the load from the rear control arms, whereas the smaller one behind it is solidly attached to the floorpan so is bracing the tunnel opening.
I recall you mentioned earlier in the thread that the PF cars didn't have a subframe brace? Is it something that you would consider putting on to a PF if the opportunity arises?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:36 AM

Yeah, this had a PF subframe when I got it so that brace was missing. I have modified my PF subframe to take the brace by adding the four welded nuts, and I'll be adding the secondary tunnel brace and floorpan as well, plus the upper strut brace to tie the suspension together and hold the brake block. All the stuff they did to tighten up the FL, added to the PF
Old 7th April 2022, 09:10 AM

A frustrating weekend as I was taken out by a migraine for 5 days so have made very little progress

Still, I did manage to find the spare wheel

It made it outside for the first time in a while, currently sitting on Big Red's wheels as its own are off for new tyres to be fitted. I did an eyeball-plank wheel alignment so its driveable, as I can't get a proper alignment until Friday.

Off to the paint shop today to get some scratches sorted, MoT tomorrow so it goes to its new owner with a full 12 months (expires in July!), alignment Friday, final detailing Monday. I still need to fit bluetooth hands-free and then refit the rest of the interior at the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220406_175223.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	28115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220406_180935.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	28116  
Old 7th April 2022, 09:44 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
A frustrating weekend as I was taken out by a migraine for 5 days so have made very little progress
Oh no! I suffer from occasional migraines but I’ve never had one last that long. If I catch mine really early, I can usually fight them off in a few hours, and the worst has only been around 36 hours. Five days
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 7th April 2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Oh no! I suffer from occasional migraines but I’ve never had one last that long. If I catch mine really early, I can usually fight them off in a few hours, and the worst has only been around 36 hours. Five days
Same here, 5 days is some headache!

Is this car the one you were experimenting with the hifi install? Is it pre-sold or coming on the market soon?
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 8th April 2022, 02:32 PM

Still lingering on day 7. I'm not impressed.

Sarg - its the Murple which got all the audio gear, but that got put on indefinite hold due to being a total basket case. This one is just getting a bluetooth handsfree connected to the RNS-d, and it is sold already. It goes to its new home on the 17th

New MoT obtained this afternoon, alignment in an hour or so, then some snags to sort out over the weekend.

This view cheers me up even with post-migraine brain fog

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220408_143052.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	28117  
Old 8th April 2022, 06:27 PM

Those wheels on Big Red look so right

Hope you feel better soon MJ.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 10th April 2022, 09:19 PM

I think it was trainee day at Protyre Not only did the idiots use the settings for a D3 S8, but they didn't even manage to get those settings right Then when I queried it, the clowns on the counter responded "well, they're all the same anyway". WTF? Of course this was 5pm on a Friday, and they didn't have any more slots to fix the mistake they wouldn't admit to until after Easter. Unsurprisingly, the car drove like total crap on the way home and was borderline dangerous with the rear end having a mind of its own on rough surfaces. It was better before with my eyeball-plank settings

I had noticed that camber was uneven on the front, so basically I paid Protyre for a full alignment to effectively screw up all the settings but get me measurements of camber and caster on the front. There was too much camber on the left, and too much caster on the right so I spent an hour shuffling the front subframe around on Friday evening, using a lump of aluminium and an angle cube

Luckily a friend knew of another tyre place with a Hunter alignment machine in Newton Abbot, so it was an early start to get to them when they opened at 08:00 on Saturday morning. They were impressed with the condition of the car, having never seen one before, and commented that its a good job I wasn't paying by the hour as it was going to take them no time at all to set up, being so nice and new

20 minutes later, with me calling out bolt sizes so they could get the right spanners, we had it bang on settings - Protyre had screwed up five of the six adjustments, but my angle cube shuffling got camber and caster within 0.1 degrees side to side so happy with that. Needless to say, it was a joy to drive home again.

I'd dropped off the wheels to get new tyres on Wednesday, and picked them up on my way home on Saturday. I did plan to get them in the Allroad, but as I was passing I got them in the S8 instead. They just about fit in!

It was then a weekend of snagging and finishing off. Screws in the foglight grilles:

Trying to track down why the exterior temperature sensor has suddenly gone a bit haywire. All ok at this end

Traced the wires back to the cluster and thats all ok too, which means its a dry joint in the cluster I don't have time or tools to fix that now so it'll have to wait until the next service.

I needed the column apart anyway as the indicator wasn't cancelling on right turns. This is quite common after changing the steering angle sensor, and I try to do the sensor and stalks together as a matched pair as they seem to wear in to each other. For some reason I didn't on this one, so mixed and matched from the parts bin until it was working again properly.

I'd also noticed the tiptronic buttons only worked on -. + worked sporadically on the right button, but not at all on the left so it was a switch fault rather than wiring

The buttons and wiring can be removed as an assembly so I just swapped in a set from a spare steering wheel

The old ones were a bit crusty, but these will serve well for experimenting with using them as radio control buttins instead

I couldn't live with the awful screen surround as it was letting the whole car down. I don't have any spares, and they aren't available any more so one of my fleet took one for the team and donated a good one

The clips are a bit rusty, but the screen will get replaced in the near future so these can be swapped then.

I forgot to get a pic of the new surround. Its not perfect by any means, but its an order of magnitude better than before so I'm happy for now. I'll have to start pestering Tradition to make some more...

New badges on the rear

The right hand mirror wouldn't move, and it had a bad scuff so I wanted to change it anyway. Yes, I totally forgot when I had the doors apart earlier on So, pulled the door card and swapped the mirror, and it still wouldn't move! Slightly vexing.

A quick look at the diagrams shows that the switch in the door actually tells the mirror module to move the motors, rather than being directly connected to them. This module down on the B pillar:

Been a bit soggy I think! I swapped this for a good one and both mirrors are working again

The right hand tail light had a crack in the reverse light so I swapped in a replacement

A little bit of final fiddling tomorrow and then its off for ceramic coating
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	582.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	28118   Click image for larger version

Name:	583.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	28119   Click image for larger version

Name:	584.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	28120   Click image for larger version

Name:	585.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	28121   Click image for larger version

Name:	586.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	28122   Click image for larger version

Name:	587.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	28123   Click image for larger version

Name:	588.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	28124   Click image for larger version

Name:	589.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	28125   Click image for larger version

Name:	590.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	28126   Click image for larger version

Name:	591.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	28127  

Name:	592.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	28128   Click image for larger version

Name:	593.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	28129   Click image for larger version

Name:	594.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	28130   Click image for larger version

Name:	595.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	28131   Click image for larger version

Name:	596.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	28132  
Old 10th April 2022, 09:48 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Awesome stuff.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.