A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 21st September 2016, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up

well MJ , if we ever meet I owe you a pint ...or two

tried your disc clean methodology , up to 60mph and stand on the anchors ,unfortunately I live in the back of beyond and an ideal stretch of road isn't available but good enough I think
so measured the disc temperatures after each stop and got ..approximately , as follows
ambient 20C
then 40C , 60C ,90C ,100C , 110C , 130C, 160C , 200C ,200C

about the same both sides

don't know what would have been required to have them glowing but this wasn't it

result .....just a faint tremor now , perfect not , but perfectly acceptable to me

Old 21st September 2016, 07:55 PM

Excellent

Glowing is ~500*C which is a little much for decontaminating, since the pads will be on fire at that point
Old 22nd September 2016, 01:14 PM

Might try this myself. Mine have a very slight judder but then I tend to never use the brakes in anger much. I will have to start.... he he
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
Might try this myself. Mine have a very slight judder but then I tend to never use the brakes in anger much. I will have to start.... he he
don't forget to report back lee

judging by the number of people who have had this problem probably merits a sticky on it's own
Old 23rd September 2016, 04:05 PM

Well, that is interesting as mine went from slight judder to severe the other day whilst taking the Mrs to the shops along the M8. (The original slight judder was was one of the reasons why I am going to replace the front lower control arms which were an advisory from 9 months back.) So, after talking to my indy about getting the car in to replace the arms, I took the car out to try and replicate the shuddering and gave it a LOT of 60 - 0 braking tests but the judder was nowhere near the same level at the end. The front calipers and discs were v hot (using a knuckle test!). MJ's theory certainly seems to be borne out in practice. My car is doing a lot of time on the drive at the mo' and the discs get a bit of surface rust from time to time so this probably doesnt help.
Old 1st October 2016, 08:53 PM

Had the front discs skimmed today at 911SBD in north London. I believe it was 0.25mm removed. The NSF was worse than the OSF, And this was after only 3k miles on Genuine Audi discs.

Fair amount of material removed off just the OSF disk (both faces skimmed)

Old 16th October 2016, 09:49 PM

Did a few hard high speed to low speed runs today and also three or four 60-0 "slam-ons". Felt like I was pressing really hard but never had a lock up or any ABS intervention. They seemed to be fading and getting worse toward the end but I must have put a fair bit of heat into them as they were blue when I got home. Drove about 4 or 5 miles at slow speeds to allow cooling and they were all about 60 degrees when I pulled into the drive so no binding or sticking.

Will see what they feel like tomorrow when they're cold and fresh.

Interestingly I was in for an MOT on Wednesday (which she flew through) and I asked about prices for brake discs and pads front and rear and the service assistant asked me why so I remarked that they were 6 years old on the rear and 4 years old on the front and had done 67k and 51k respectively. She said that the health check revealed that the front pads were on 80% and the rears on 60%. Should all last another 100k at this rate. Doesn't sound right. I'm not a heavy braker really though so maybe they will last.