A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 4th June 2021, 10:19 PM
Banned

Default Tyre choice dilemma

I'll be buying 5 new tyres for the car soon.

I'm torn between Rotalla Setula 4 Season RA03 for £334 which are guaranteed to be made in 2021 or BF Goodrich g-Grip All Season 2 gGrip All Season2 for £535.. the only thing thats stopping me from buying the Rotallas is that they have a 72db rating and the BF's have 68db.

Would this make much of a difference on the D2? UK roads are probably the loudest roads I've driven on and I don't think paying so much more for lower DB tyres would be worth it.

Size is 245 45 r18

Last edited by Ronin; 4th June 2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 5th June 2021, 05:55 AM

All season tyres will generally be noisier anyway due to greater tread depth, spacing/ size of sipes. I suspect that difference will be noticeable - the scale is logarithmic so 4 dB is a lot.

Having said that the Michelin PS4 is rated 71dB at that size, so may be no worse than a premium summer tyre (although I find the Michelin’s very noisy on the concrete sections of the M25 near us)

How much are Cross Climates in comparison?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 5th June 2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Size is 245 45 r18
I thought you had steel uprights and 20" FE alloys on your car?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 5th June 2021, 08:18 AM

I run the BFG g-grips on my A6 and can definitely recommend them They are grippy, comfortable, quiet and last pretty well. The A6 has 205 55 16 which has about the same size sidewall as 245 45 18. Camskill have them for £106, but after shipping and local fitting that may not be much of a saving, unless you are friends with a tyre fitter

72dB makes the Rotalla a pretty loud tyre. That will definitely be a noticable difference to the BFG.

I've driven on the Crossclimates on a D2 (in 18") and would not recommend them. They are very expensive, very uncomfortable but also surprisingly fragile, being easily killed by potholes and rocks. The sidewalls appear to be made of glass. I would definitely choose the BFGs over Crossclimates.
Old 5th June 2021, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
I thought you had steel uprights and 20" FE alloys on your car?
Yes I do have them but I bought the car with 18s on it and that's the size I want on it anyway to increase ride comfort.

If BF's are that much quieter then I'll be getting them. As far as fitting etc it will all be included in the price of refurbishment of the 4 alloys I have (£320)

Thanks everyone
Old 5th June 2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I've driven on the Crossclimates on a D2 (in 18") and would not recommend them. They are very expensive, very uncomfortable but also surprisingly fragile, being easily killed by potholes and rocks. The sidewalls appear to be made of glass.
Interesting, I've had Crossclimate Plus on our Volvo (also 4WD) for a couple of years now and really like them.
That said it's a Cross-Country so softer/longer suspension and the wheels are only 17" with slightly deeper (50 vs 45) profile tyres - 225/50R17 to be precise.
Though the actual sidewall of a 245/45 is only a couple of mm less than a 225/50.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th June 2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 5th June 2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Interesting, I've had Crossclimate Plus on our Volvo (also 4WD) for a couple of years now and really like them.
That said it's a Cross-Country so softer/longer suspension and the wheels are only 17" with slightly deeper (50 vs 45) profile tyres - 225/50R17 to be precise.
Though the actual sidewall of a 245/45 is only a couple of mm less than a 225/50.
Mike has them on his Allroad in 235 55 17 and they are just fine on that too, although he has lost a few to potholes and rocks sticking out of Devon hedges.

Bert has them on General Vod (comfort suspension!) in 245 45 18 and they're horrid and crashy, and he lost both on one side to the same pothole. Big Red on sport suspension and 20s with Vredesteins or Goodyears has a nicer ride than Vod on comfort suspensions and 18s with Crossclimates.

It seems they work fine in larger profiles, but by the time they get to 45 they're outside the range of what they were designed to work with.
Old 5th June 2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I'll be buying 5 new tyres for the car soon.

I'm torn between Rotalla Setula 4 Season RA03 for £334 which are guaranteed to be made in 2021 or BF Goodrich g-Grip All Season 2 gGrip All Season2 for £535.. the only thing thats stopping me from buying the Rotallas is that they have a 72db rating and the BF's have 68db.

Would this make much of a difference on the D2? UK roads are probably the loudest roads I've driven on and I don't think paying so much more for lower DB tyres would be worth it.

Size is 245 45 r18
I'm going to take my usual (contrary!) view on tyres again: I think buying cheaper new brands or crossclimates are a compromise, in either safety or quality - or both.

My preference is to stick to premium, high-quality part-worns from a reliable supplier - DM Tyres in Oldham in my case - and to keep two sets of rims and tyres (or more, sometimes, but that's just me!): one for winter and one for summer.

As an example, my winters are 18" Avus' wheels, including a set of Michelin PA4s with 7mm tread and these, with rims, cost me about £500 all in (including the refurb...). These stay on from October until May, and then Kwikfit swap them over to my 20" FE rims, normally FOC. In my book, this minimises cost, tyre wear, and inconvenience as well as giving me confidence on safely and quality.

Also NB: dB ratings aren't linear...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 5th June 2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 5th June 2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
keep two sets of rims and tyres (or more, sometimes, but that's just me!): one for winter and one for summer.

As an example, my winters are 18" Avus' wheels, including a set of Michelin PA4s with 7mm tread and these, with rims, cost me about £500 all in (including the refurb...). These stay on from October until May, and then Kwikfit swap them over to my 20" FE rims, normally FOC. In my book, this minimises cost, tyre wear, and inconvenience as well as giving me confidence on safely and quality.
For my S8 I do very similar.

For the Volvo, Crossclimate Plus (which are a Premium tyre!) are a logical solution.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th June 2021, 05:13 PM
Banned

Just to prove I didn't make this thread to waste people's time.
Manufacturing date is 2019 which is a bit dodgy..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_346426963498659.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	26676