A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 25th September 2022, 10:12 PM

Default 4.2 V8 - Real life fuel economy

Even though car is fitted with LPG, I think everyone can agree they run better on unleaded. So filled the tank up with premium unleaded just to see what milage I can get out of it.

Just wondering what sorta figures people get out of their V8s? I can't seem to be breaking 25 mpg at any point really, town or motorway.

Seems quite low, D2 4.2 I had previously would do 30 mpg quite easily on motorway, just want to make sure something isn't a miss and she runs as she should.
Old 26th September 2022, 11:09 AM

I average about 20 to 22mpg on my D2 S8, 14mpg around town and a little less than that on LPG.

I have never averaged 30mpg on mine, I can get there on the 2.8 D2 but not the S8.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--
Old 26th September 2022, 11:30 AM

I was averaging 15-16 on D2 S8 and 14-15 on S4 both 4.2. Would not see over 25 unless driving steady 50-60mph like through the roadworks on motorway

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th September 2022, 06:17 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Being a bit OCD (aren’t we all?), I log every tank full of fuel on my cars so I can calculate the mpg accurately. I have 10 years worth of data on my D2 S8! The best I ever got (just twice) was a fraction over 23mpg. On a run, it’s closer to 20-22 and around the rural roads where I live it’s high teens.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 28th September 2022, 11:22 AM

Surely a long wheelbase version would be geared towards economy and causing compared to an S8? Long wheelbase D2 I had previously returned 27 mpg (full to empty) on mixed driving. Oh well, we'll see how the economy is when I go to fill up
Old 28th September 2022, 04:28 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Fuel quality does make a difference. On Shell V-Power or Tesco's good stuff I'll get 25 - 26 on the motorway at a steady 70 ish. On my recent trip to Europe I filled up with 102 leaving Nurburg and got 26.7 with a fast trip 70 - 85.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 28th September 2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Fuel quality does make a difference. On Shell V-Power or Tesco's good stuff I'll get 25 - 26 on the motorway at a steady 70 ish. On my recent trip to Europe I filled up with 102 leaving Nurburg and got 26.7 with a fast trip 70 - 85.
I filled up with Sainsbury’s Super, and 65mph on cruise dash will be showing 22-23mpg which just seems low thus the post.
Old 28th September 2022, 06:10 PM

Although you've got a much more modern gearbox on the D3, the 4.2 isn't exactly torquey and you're probably lugging the equivalent of a couple of extra bodies around in kerb weight terms (Wikipedia isn't very helpful on D3 weights, but the lowest seems to be 150kg more than the lowest D2).

Wheels also make a massive difference, so if your D2 was rolling on small wheels and the D3 is on 20s that'll knock some off too.

Add in a couple of minor age related engine wear issues (worn injectors, fuel pump getting on a bit etc)

It's a lot of small differences that quickly add up.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 28th September 2022, 07:40 PM

Mike, as one of the key founding members, should really have a signature to show what car he has by now . The DIS display is usually pretty optimistic on fuel consumption so, unless you log petrol vs miles at regular fill ups, you’ll be dealing with Micky mouse data. i think high 20s on a 4.2 is a wish - unless you drive a puddin’.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 28th September 2022, 07:47 PM

BTW, I definitely get better mpg on V Power - almost enough to compensate for the extra cost. And I think that I’m probably the OCD guru on ‘real’ mpg data (long term and not DIS). But I rarely (maybe never) drive at a ‘steady’ 70-ish; perhaps a fairly steady-ish 80 or so, with a few aberrations! But I didn’t buy my S8s for fuel economy - I bought them ‘cos I love them and enjoy every mile. And my excuse for the running costs - I don’t play golf!